[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Releasing bowels on the bed
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:05 am 
Bengal Kitten

My boyfriend and I have recently purchased a Bengal kitten approx 8 weeks old.. It has been fairly hectic since we bought her as we have moved out of our apartment and are staying in different locations for 2 weeks until we are able to move into our new house, Oya (our kitten) has released her bowels (pee and poops) on his bed 3 times in the past 24 hours.. I know she is acting out as she knows how to use her little box and was using it consistanly at the apartment.. What could be going on for her to continue to do this as it's not good and I would really like to figure out what's going on so I can make her feel safe and comfortable so this habit doesn't proceed. We have a 6.5 month old daughter as well and it's not healthy if the cat starts going to the bathroom wherever she feels like it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your kitten. You got her about 4 weeks before you should have and this could be part of the problem. Bengal kittens should not leave their mother until at least 12 weeks. That being said, it seems as if stress is causing this behavior as you have relocated and will be moving again. Environment is everything to a kitten and hers keeps changing. There is an adjustment period when a new kitten leaves its mom and siblings. And you've also got a baby which adds noise and new energy to the mix.

I think you have an awful lot on your plate right now. All you can do is give it time and perhaps once you get settled into your new place, Oya will have a better routine and a better spot for a litter box. My real question is why the breeder allowed the kitten to leave so early. A lot of social skills are taught by the mom in the final weeks and Oya did not get that.

I realize two weeks is a long time and there will be another adjustment period once you get moved into your new place. So, this could go on for another month! Make sure you're playing with Oya and giving her a lot of attention as well. Bengals are high energy, very vocal and quite demanding of attention. Hang in there and I hope it all works out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Going to the bathroom outside the litterbox is a normal behaviour for a stressed out cat. It's hardly a mystery as to why she is stressed. I'm not sure there is a lot you can do about it - every time you move to a new location you will be increasing the feelings of uncertainty and stress in your cat. You may just have to accept this behaviour until you settle into your new place.

For future - get a kitten from a reputable breeder who rehomes at 12 weeks. And don't get a kitten just before you move!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Even though she is stressed, you still need to work with her. I would start by putting a litter box in your bedroom until she gets a little older. Pick her up and put her in the litterbox several times a day, moving her paws in a digging motion and talking to her gently. She needs to learn quickly not to use your bed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:14 am 
Bengal Cat

Environment is everything to a kitten and hers keeps changing. There is an adjustment period when a new kitten leaves its mom and siblings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Put the poo in the litter box and keep putting her back in the box until she covers it. She may not realize the box is "hers" because it doesn't smell like her. The bed where she keeps pooping does. I know it sounds weird and gross to pick up her accident and put it in the box, but it will help her relearn where her poo should go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great advice being given here. Since you got her super early, it's possible she was not litter box trained and didn't know what to do. That's what her mommy teaches her. I'd definitely try to teach her how to use the litter box by putting her poop back in the box and having her cover it. It should be a natural instinct that is reinforced by the mother, and now you're going to have to take over and teach her yourself.