[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - so much peeing :(
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: so much peeing :(
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What bottle? Spray bottle with water? That will not work on a cat. Not recommended by cat behaviorists. It instills fear and trust issues in the kitty. It could only compound the problem. Getting to the bottom of the reason is necessary! What has changed for Finn. I know you may think nothing has, but now you're going to have to get down to his level and try to figure this out. I realize this is the most irritating thing in the world -- cat urine is the worst! Finn isn't doing this to anger you. He's trying to tell you something is wrong. I hope the vet does thorough testing just to make sure Finn is okay health wise. It know it would be easier if the vet finds something ... just so you know it can be treated! Once you find out, let us know and we'll try to move on to the next option. I feel for you, Steph.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for the clarification on the spray bottle, Steph! Please do try to control your stress and anger over this because Finn can pick up on this and it won't help the problem. I know spending the $$ on the vet isn't fun, but everything needs to be checked to make sure he's not having pain or some other issue! Hang in there ......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yea I just wish the vets weren't so expensive. We are taking him in for x-rays on Aug 5th, they said its to check for stones and any abnormality in his organs. So we will see what happens.

I have been pretty good trying to keep my anger at a minimum, but its so hard when your frustrated. Replacing my couch wasn't cheap, and it was definitely a hassle, though if he keeps this up I can't just keep replacing my couch, something needs to be done.. I don't yell or raise my voice at him, I treat him like I always did, and I try to be extra nice and caring because I obviously want him to stop but of course he doesn't care.

I will update after our vet appointment, but so far he is still peeing on the couch every other night :sad: But since I already lock him up when there is nobody home I can't justify locking him up all night and there is no way to keep him away from the couch since we have an open floor plan.. Tonight I will try aluminum foil on the couch, hopefully that will turn him off of it.

Have a good week everyone and thank you for everything. Talk to you all soon.

Stephanie, Aleya & Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please try putting bowls of biscuits on your couch. It's worth a go! I did this and it stopped his peeing where the food was.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Steph, I know how frustrated you are right now. Replacing furniture is expensive. The fact that he's not peeing on the couch every night is telling you something. Have you thought about moving your furniture around? Putting the couch on another wall? It just doesn't sound like it's something medical when he doesn't urinate there all the time. Something is going on in your household. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes I have tried placing a dish of kibble on the couch and he still pees beside it :(

I could try rearranging the firniture but my only issue is my living room dining room and kitchen are all one so there really isn't any way to rearrange it. We have one wall with a fire place and a mantle for our tv so it's kind of difficult but I will see what I can do :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Is your couch near a window? Can Finn see outside when he's on the couch? Could there be outdoor cats on the other side of the window that he can see or smell at times? Just trying to come up with something that could be triggering this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It did have a outside view but we live in an upstairs appartment and there is about 15 feet of roof and in a busy uptown street. There aren't any cats around. But I have seen a cat in our parking lot a few times but he wouldn't be able to see it we're on the other side of the building. Humm not sure.

My vet appointment could not come soon enough. He just peed on the couch after I moved it and I was five feet away from him :mad: he is costing me a fortune in laundry, 2 bucks a load..

Hopefully I can figure this out soon. I can't keep living like this and not being able to buy new furniture when we buy a house..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know it's kind of last resort but he sounds like a seriously persistent peeing kitty. Jackson galaxy on occasions uses the motion sensor air canisters. If you put one on your couch it is movement triggered and would give him a sharp blast of air when he jumped on the couch and it would scare him off. They are called ssscat pet training aid. Also he would think it was the sofa that was being scary and not you so would be no reducing the bond between parent and kitty.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm wondering with the air canister thing if Finn is ready to go to the bathroom, the poof of air may scare him to the point of just going at that moment. There is definitely something going on there. A lot of people use aluminum foil as cats do not like walking on that. The deal is that people need to sit on the couch, too. You truly hope there is something medically wrong because that can be fixed. If not, then it's really difficult trying to figure out what is going on with him. A living area is not usually a room you can block access to. Is there something that Finn has done prior to the peeing on the couch? Playing with toys? Document his behavior throughout the day and see if something turns up there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As I said in my first post, the first thing I would have done is taken away access to the problem areas. The more he is able to go on soft furnishings, the more the habit is instilled and the more you go insane.

Is the second room a spare room? Remove the mattress from the bed and keep him in there. If you have to keep him in the living room, put some serious plastic sheeting over that couch. Do something.

He's now well into the habit of peeing on that couch, whatever the reason behind it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Steph, don't give up and don't get discouraged. Is Finn using his litter box to pee in -- ever? Have you thought about placing another litter box in the area of the couch? And if you see Finn jump up on the couch, put him in the litter box and see what he does? Cats do understand the word "NO" eventually! So I would use it if he jumps up on the couch and remove him immediately to the litter box.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next