It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:24 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I had adopted my 2yr old bengal Luna from a home of 2 yappy dogs and a severely allergic newborn.
Iv had her for about 2weeks and she has transitioned perfectly, I believe she is happy and loving life with us.
The previous owner said that she's apparently been an indoor kitty but was a kitten she was on a leash and went into the back yard a couple of times and loved it but grew out of leash and never got a new one but when I went to pick her up :) they said that the dog ate the leash, so now I don't know what to think.
I brought her a harness and leash the day I got her and she did a couple of flips when she got it on and not because she was happy about it lol I persevered and now she loves it, now my issue is that she, even before I took her out into the back yard she meows and meows at the windows and doors to get outside, she loves it outside and I feel mean taking her back inside, or even having her on a leash, as I come from a farm in New Zealand where our cats roamed free and were very happy.
When I bring her in she just meows like crazy but eventually gives up, I realise Bengals are vocal kitty's and she is but I feel this is more than just being a vocal cat.
My heart breaks when she paces the doors and windows wanting to go out, there are no other cats.
Help my poor kitty Luna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Can I ask why you are not interested in letting her out? I just ask because you say have kept outdoor cats before.

Otherwise cat proofing your garden might be a good solution, if you have a fenced garden?

One of mine used to meow at the door, after being given a taste of freedom. It is sad isn't it! He's an outdoor cat now, though funnily enough, barely leaves the house...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:31 am 
Bengal Kitten

I do let her outside on a harness and leash but I don't let her rome out by herself off leash as I'm scared she'll Rome out of the property, we live in suburbia and she's expensive and I red they can be a danger to wildlife, I also had a cat in suburbia and he got run over with a couple of weeks of letting him Rome free and we lived off the road.
Any tips ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I understand what you're going through. I took a 6 year old bengal who was an outdoor kitty and turned him into an indoor kitty. He took to a harness and leash immediately. The biggest problem were the cat fights he'd get into. Trips to the vet to deal with infections, deep bites. It's only natural for a cat who has been outside to want to keep going outside. In the beginning, Raiden cried what seemed to be nonstop. My husband built a 12'x12' enclosure on our deck which we thought would help. Raiden loves being out there, but he would still cry at the door. It just took time! We had to ignore the cries. It's been just over two years and he still cries at times to go out. We go for two walks a day, morning and late afternoon. He knows the times and he's crying and pacing at the door and ready.

Do you have a cat tree that you can place near a window or a window perch so she can see outside? Would you consider some type of outdoor enclosure? There are creative ways to do a cat run, cat enclosure, or catio. Just Google and see some of the options out there. If you're not comfortable letting her outside, then don't do it! During my lifetime, I've had 9 cats. Two had to be put to sleep for various reasons, one was run over by a car, and the others just vanished, never to return. Cats don't sense the dangers that await them. It's good to supervise your cat unless you've got a safe enclosure for her.

If you are unable to provide something for her -- they do sell portable enclosures that are small and you put in the yard and place your cat in there -- then you'll simply have to deal with her cries. Bengals are loud cats, no doubt, and it seemed as if Raiden was crying 24/7. But, he learned and it's so much better now. Time and patience is what you need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Someone in Australia just lost their kitty to a snatcher! Someone simply came into their yard and picked up their bengal. The probability of their ever getting their baby back is nil.