It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi!

I posted this in a response to my first ever post here in a different section of the forum, but am hoping to cast a wider net of responses, apologies if that is frowned upon, I'm just looking for some advice and wanted to pick the brains of all of you experienced Bengal parents.

Me and my boyfriend adopted a three-year old Bengal cat back in April that had to be rehomed due to her previous owner's allergies. We feed her the same food and use the same litter she used for the past three years, and she is a very sweet kitty who loves her playtime. She doesn't like being held or picked up (which her previous owner told us from the beginning), but she slept at our feet every night since we got her!

. . .until a few weeks ago. She's been sleeping on her cat tree every night. We are hoping it's just because the warm summer temperatures are making her want some more space, so maybe once I install the AC unit and it's cooler at night, she will want to spend more time in the bed with us . . .any similar summer experiences with your Bengals?

Also, we went out of town for a wedding last weekend, and one of my friends came by the two days we were gone to feed her and play with her. When we got back, she was very vocal, which isn't too out of the ordinary. However, this past week, she's been meowing and howling and waking us up at 5am-6am, which she never did before. When we got her back in April, she would get loud and insistent if we slept past 10am, but all of a sudden it's 5am and she is very insistent on wanting food. She's been wolfing it down really fast and wanting more right away. We've been feeding her when she does this, and we feed her pretty consistently throughout the day and before bedtime, so there's really no reason why she should be so hungry all of the time. She used to live with another Bengal cat (who was rehomed to a different family) and both cats together would consume about a cup and a half of dry food each day. We try to keep it to no more than one cup of food per day but she's been begging and meowing for more so we've been giving her more and she's gained a pound since we got her (from 10 lbs to 11 lbs).

She's three years old, fixed, gets daily playtime, and is up to date on all vaccinations (we took her to our vet when we got her). She was also just at the vet last Tuesday for a teeth cleaning, so I don't believe there is anything medical going on. Any thoughts or advice on her change of behavior?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I responded to your post in the other forum. Hopefully, you'll read my reply.