[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - OPINIONS ON CAT OWNERS AND ROAMING CATS
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

IS IT WRONG FOR CAT OWNERS TO ALLOW THEIR CATS TO ROAM?
Poll ended at Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:40 pm
Please place a * next to your response. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Please place a * next to your response. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
YES 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
NO 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
NO 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thing is, you can google and still find the picture of her holding up the deceased cat. Personally, I just find it laziness on the part of the law. Animal cruelty is not a big deal compared to finding assaulters, rapists and murderers. Even if found guilty, most get a slap on the wrist and that's about it. There's usually very little jail time involved. The other day a beautiful lab was found dead in the yard from heat exhaustion. The leash had gotten tangled and there was no way for the lab to get out the blistering sun. There was also no food or water available. The owner just said, "It was an accident." I'm sure no charges were filed in that case. We now have a local law that states all dogs must tied on a leash no longer than 10 feet and no chains allowed. Shelter must be provided as well as food and water and if not, I think you can be fined $50. Why do these people insist on keeping their dogs outdoors, especially when the heat index is 109? I don't even like taking Raiden out -- he doesn't seem to mind the heat. I keep a close watch on him and we really try to stay in the shade in the yard. There are just so many irresponsible pet owners.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As a society we don't take crimes against animals a seriously as we should. IMO animal abuse is akin to child abuse. You're abusing a living being that is dependent on you for it's care.

Saturday we had to run to the store to get some stuff for dinner and as we were walking in we saw a local police officer pull up to a car in the parking lot and put his lights on. Someone had left a little min pin dog in their car with the windows barely cracked, no AC running. It was 96 with a heat index of 109 that afternoon. The officer checked the dog and while it was panting it was not in distress yet, so he stayed until the owners came out and they got a ticket.

I was so glad that #1 someone saw it and reported it and #2 the police took it seriously

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Animals feel pain just like we do. I cannot comprehend how people can think it's not as bad to abuse animals. It needs to start from birth. Children need to be taught to respect and love all living creatures, whatever species they might be. I cannot even kill spiders as I would feel guilty! That vet needs to be prosecuted.....what kind of message does that send that the evil monster has got away with it? Madness! :mad:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They were talking about passing an ordinance here that would allow ordinary people to break car windows to rescue a child or pet from a hot car! Unfortunately, recently a policeman in Alabama left his K-9 dog in is car and the dog died from heat exhaustion. It can happen to anyone. Glad things worked out for the dog, Donna! The news channels remind people daily DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN OR PETS IN A HOT CAR and people do not get the message!!! A woman who was charged with leaving her small children in her car unattended had her day in court. The only problem was, she brought her kids and left them in the car while she was in the courthouse! How to you teach dumb people??? Some people are NEVER going to learn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow :eek: You're right, some people just don't learn.

We can break car windows here, but you may still get sued by the car owner so it's best to use your phone to get video of the child or pet inside the car before you break the window that way you have some proof.

There was a lady recently who left her kid in the car while she went to the beauty salon, someone came into the salon two or three times to tell the woman her kid was in trouble and the lady didn't move so they broke the window, got the kid out, and called the police. The woman tried to assault the people who rescued her kid :rolleyes:

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Why is it people have children and then can't be inconvenienced to take the time to get them OUT of the car and take them inside with them. I know these days you are talking children -- even older children -- having to be in car seats, so it takes a while longer to get them in and out and if you have two of more kids, it can take a while (when I was little, there were no seat belts in the car even). Same with your pet. Leave your pet at home if you're not going to take the pet with you. It pains me to read about children and pets in hot cars who perish! My heart goes out to the parents and owners, even though they were foolish or forgot! I don't know how anyone could forget a child or pet in a car! How does one deal with the anguish for the rest of their life -- and many end up facing charges on top of everything. I blame it on the requirement that children must be in the back seat. My mom always had one of us in the front seat with her -- and that's where I laid on a blanket when I was just a newborn and my mom had to go somewhere. I was in plain sight. Unless these children are cooing or crying or babbling, I think parents just don't think about them. Tragically, we are in that horrible time of the year with this happens almost daily.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What kind of face-off was that? Looked like the mountain lion just wanted to play! Probably not!!! A few nights ago, I heard coyotes that sounded fairly close. Other people can do what they want, but I keep Raiden on a leash when we are outside. I may be no match against a coyote myself, but we do not go walking in the woods behind my house. We have a cleared path behind our house that Raiden loves to walk on, but I'm extremely nervous the entire time we are out there. Lots of underbrush where I can't see what's looming underneath. We have had reports of bobcats in the area. We are at the very southern end of a county and it gets quite rural once you leave the subdivision. Too scary for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have bobcats and mountain lions. Others have seen the cougars, I have only seen the bobcats. Quasar would be no match for either of these cats and we keep our dog inside at night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:40 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ive two bengals that go outdoors I'm in the UK as well they have been going out in our garden supervised since 6months old both are nutered and spayed up to date with here annual boosters and microchipped and they have a microchip cat flap and and come and go when ever they please. Both are 8 years old now we dont even have a litter tray in the house since they were kittens and started going out as there know need for one. Both are happy and healthy they have been to the vet a few times for minor things but thats what pet insurance is for.

When i look on here and see all the problems people seem to have with behaviour and toileting and excessive meowing I'm gobsmacked I've never had a problem with my two ever I'm sure the other UK people on here may back me up but I'm sure they won't have had problems with theres ether. The other thing i don understand is i hear people say all the time you need to be experienced and know what yr doing when you take on a bengal WHY!!!!! to me there are so easy cats to please and want for nothing give them the basic food water shelter love and affection you get it all back my two are the most loving cats out there i wake up with them asleep on my bed every morning I never had a problem with ether..This is my opinion but i think with my two being indoor outdoor cats they have the best of both worlds and are stimulated there is no way i could keep my two stimulated 24hr a day kept indoors . I do understand why some people keep there indoors depends on country culture predators I've even seen one of my bengals sitting outside with a fox at night this happens fairly often they both seem happy enough to be in each other company. i guess its each to there own and what they think best for the own bengals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A cat who is allowed outdoors is not going to present many behavioral problems. They are happy and content when they come back inside. I've had indoor/outdoor cats for over 50 years! But Raiden was different. He'd already gotten so beat up in cat fights -- bears scars all over his body, his ear is torn. He is a terror to other cats, but, according to his vet, "a very poor fighter." Unfortunately, I still have a black and white cat that visits my yard daily, waiting for us to go out on our walks. That cat doesn't appear aggressive, but I have to hold Raiden back tight on the leash. Raiden goes for him and the other cat retreats, but I'm waiting for a time when the other cat doesn't and I'm in the middle of a cat fight.

I'm happy your kitties are doing great with their outdoor access. And it just blows me away that bengal owners in the UK allow their kitties to just roam outdoors. Bengals aren't cheap kitties. I paid nothing for Raiden, but it doesn't matter. His safety comes first for me. There have been posts on here from UK owners who have to deal with neighboring cats.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's what makes this world great! I have no problem if someone wants to allow their bengal to go outdoors. Everyone has an opinion on here and, unfortunately or fortunately, we get asked a lot of times "should I let my cat go outside." Members here offer up an opinion but I let posters know they are free to do whatever they want with their kitties! I think all cats enjoy the outdoors and we have a very large enclosure on our deck that allows Raiden to be outside 24/7 if he chooses -- he just can't wander away from the house. We have acres of woods behind us with lots of wildlife that he doesn't need to get involved with. You have some happy kitties and that's a great thing.