[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - My 8-year-old Bengal is VERY bored
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for your kind words, Melissa and Clare (sorry, not Tabitha!).

Oscar sounds like such a lovely boy, just like Leo (and Hendrix too, of course, but I get the impression you got him and Jagger as kittens, Clare?). Maybe it is because our cats had uncaring owners previously that they appreciate us all the more, and are more clingy as a result. Needless to say, I also can’t bear the thought of anything happening to Leo and I feel a pang of anxiety when I realise that he will turn 9 this year… Although he doesn’t look it in many ways - he is still very playful and agile, and really young-looking – there are moments, like when he has just woken up and he takes a few tentative steps while he is still a bit sleepy, that he looks a bit vulnerable and my heart constricts. Leo has opened a floodgate of emotions for me… He reminds me so much of my favourite cat as a child, a gorgeous tabby cat with the same clear green eyes who was just about Leo’s age when he died. I was young and clueless about cat health then and I know I didn’t take good care of him, which will haunt me until the day I die… Since I found Leo, there hasn’t been a single day that I haven’t thought about my old cat and how I wish I had done things differently… He died of pneumonia and I am convinced that had I taken him to the vet sooner, he might have pulled through. This makes me want to take the best possible care of Leo, as a way of making amends somehow…

I can’t believe how many Bengal cats like Leo and Oscar there are out there, in need of a loving home. I now know that Bengals need a lot of attention and maybe people buy them because they love the way they look but then can’t – or won’t – make the required effort to care for them properly and things don’t work out, which is terribly sad…

I know exactly how you feel about leaving your babies, Clare… I realised today that it’s a mere two and a half weeks before my holiday and my heart misses a beat whenever I think of the horrible moment when I will have to take Leo to the cattery and leave him there… I can’t bear the thought of witnessing his distress – I worry that he will feel like he’s being abandoned again – and I know I will miss him like crazy. My family live abroad and I haven’t seen my elderly parents since Christmas, but I so wish I could have them come and stay with us instead of being the one doing the travelling – and leaving my little boy behind… :-(

Which brings me to the question… How much am I supposed to feed him? I know there are guidelines on the packs of cat food, but I used to give him two pouches a day and leave some kibble out for him to free-feed on. Then, when Leo seemed to be having a few problems weeing and pooing after coming back from the cattery in early January, a vet who was covering for my usual vet told me that I should only give him wet food for a while, 3-4 pouches a day… So I did and Leo has now put on a little weight, which I think really suits him, but now I am a bit concerned that he might become overweight... He does seem to know when he’s had enough, but I know from experience that a cat who was starved in the past may have lost his sense of fullness, or may overcompensate and “stock up” for fear of more lean times ahead… Leo now weighs about 4.85kg / 10.7lbs but, as I mentioned, he is a very large cat so I think he is still within a healthy range. He has a bit of loose skin on his stomach, but I think that might be the result of losing weight too quickly when he was living rough, the way a human would do if he/she lost a large amount of weight…

Btw, Melissa, I couldn’t get through to the vet today but I will give her a call in the morning and hopefully she will agree to prescribe some NutriCalm. It would be such a massive weight off my shoulders to know that Leo wouldn’t be so traumatised by the carrier this time round… Thank you so much for your offer, nonetheless. I will keep you posted. X

P.S. I tried to attach a couple of photos, but first I was told that the files I wanted to attach were too big, then when I tried to paste them into a Word document I got a prompt saying that the docx. extension was not allowed… :-( How should I go about it? Did you post photos of your furry babies on the forum?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello again,

Yes I've had my two from kittens which was very hard work, there were times I thought I couldn't cope with them as I was pretty much on my own at that time, the other half was at sea. And is back to sea in less than two weeks... But they are pretty well behaved now thank goodness!

Bengals do tend to become attached to one person, but like you say, Leo and Oscar will appreciate you both all the more after what they've both been through!

Re the feeding, if you can see his waist and feel his ribs, I'm sure he's fine and not overweight. My two have a combination of wet and dry, between them they have three pouches of wet and there is always dry down for them too. They both weigh about 6kg so I don't think Leo has anything to worry about! Both very different body shapes, Hendrix is a long lanky boy and jagger very stocky and compact.

The saggy skin you refer to will be his primordial pouch. Hendrix has a very prominent one, I wondered what was going on when that suddenly appeared! Jagger's is less obvious but still there.

I'm sure we are both worrying way too much about leaving our boys, once Leo gets over the trip I'm sure he will be very well cared for.

Re the photos, you need to make them smaller, took me ages to work it out too, but if I can do it, anyone can lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not sure about the cats needing help but we all certainly need Valium when leaving our babies to go on holiday!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar certainly knows how to kick back and relax lol He's a lovely looking boy - very handsome!

I see he is enjoying his new snuggle bed!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If relaxing was an olympic sport he would be world champion! It's nice to post a picture of him the right way up....he is usually on his back letting it all hang out!!! Snuggle bed perfect thank you. A very happy Oscar :smile:

UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've really missed a lot on this topic. There are many cats, bengals included, that are turned over to rescues for one reason or another. A completely different environment can result in completely different cat behavior, so a kitty who was a "problem cat" in one home, may be the "purrfect cat" in another home. Cats react to their environment, so a peaceful, serene environment will be peaceful and serene for the kitty.

I feed Raiden mostly wet food. There are guidelines on the cans as to the amount to feed. There are not many overweight bengal cats as they are extremely active. Raiden has a very prominent primordial pouch (sagging belly) which is why I thought he was first a female.

Sounds like you've found the perfect cattery while you're on vacation. Since he appears to not be bothered by other cats, there may be no problems. Raiden does not like other cats, especially one in a cage next to him. My only choice is to board him as I want someone able to check on him at all times. I simply worry too much. I'm guessing your holiday will be for a couple or three weeks, which is a long time. Cats don't understand time very well. Just know that when you get him home, he may be a tad stressed out and it may take him a while familiarize himself with his surroundings again. Naturally, there will be so much love and attention given to him when you get him home, that he may be anxious for you to leave again. Ha ha!

Please try to enjoy your vacation. If you don't have it, add international data temporarily (if you can) to your phone so you can email the cattery and get updates on Leo while he's there.

As you've discovered, Leo is an extra special kitty and you are extra special for caring for and loving him.

Melissa, Oscar is super handsome!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Regarding the primordial pouch, both of my cats have this too. They had it as kittens and it has only gotten bigger. My last cat was a siamese and her abdomen was tight as a drum her whole life. So when I saw my young cats with this pouch, I was shocked. I guess it comes in handy when they play because they kick each other in that area while wrestling.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar does not have a primordial pouch.....I do though!!!!! :lol: Do some bengals have it and some not?

UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think some just have very prominent ones and some don't. I have one too lol so you're not alone!

I threaten Hendrix with a tummy tuck when he's nicking Jagger's food. When he is wiggling his bottom as he prepares to pounce on something (generally Jagger) it wobbles around!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would just love two bengals! You must spend most of your time laughing at them. I would never introduce another cat to Oscar in case it was a disaster. It would be so nice to give cats a little pill to make them all love each other then I would have five cats at least!

UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think all hybrids have a primordial pouch. Some are more pronounced than others. They are quite prevalent in the wild cat in order to gorge on a kill and store that extra food until the next kill -- which might be a while. Raiden's is really pronounced when he walks. It almost touches the ground and is always getting wet when we walk in the wet grass. Poor baby! Looks like he's had a few litters. Ha ha ha!

I'm a real cat lover and would have three to four if I could. Hubby isn't crazy about cats in general, but he loves Raiden. I just can't risk the fact that Raiden would not be accepting of any kitty. We see the same cats almost daily on our walks and have for months and he still wants to fight them. Raiden, if bored, will just have to remain bored.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think Oscar is definitely lacking in the tummy/pouch department. I will inform him he cannot be a proper bengal unless he has a wobbly tummy !!! :lol: I would love to see a video of the wobbly tummy bridade :lol:

UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just been watching something called 'Psycho Kitty' on animal planet and it was covering a fear of going in the cat carrier. It was advised to leave out all the time and take the door off if possible. Start putting treats on and in it to give positive associations.

It was also suggested that when you have to use the carrier put something in it with your scent on on, a t-shirt or something which may calm the cat.

The programme did suggest going for short drives as well but not keen on that one myself, Hendrix just howls non stop! But that would be a long way off, as the idea is simply to get the cat happier with the presence of the carrier to the point they will eat a meal in it, or sleep in it.

Perhaps the treat part could be a starting point with Leo? And definitely an item of clothing you've been wearing when he has to anywhere in it.

If you have animal planet it could be worth a watch as they tend to repeat things quite a lot! It was series 1 episode 1.