[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing a new kitten
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing a new kitten
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:53 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone

i have a 16month old male Bengal. I am thinking about getting a kitten so that he has a "companion".

How do i make the introduction go smoothly?

Any views would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Terri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Terri. Welcome to the forum. What type of cat are you thinking about getting? Another bengal? Moggie? You'll want to get a cat that's a little more energetic to keep up with your bengal (another bengal would do the trick). Please know that in some cases, introductions just don't go well and the cats never get along, but you really need to be positive that the experience will go smoothly. You'll need to prepare a "safe room" for your kitten. The room can be a bathroom or extra bedroom. You'll put a litter box, food bowls, beds, toys, etc. in there (which means a bathroom may be too small). Your kitten will be going through some changes being in a new environment and your bengal will be curious about all the new smells. Separating them initially is two fold. First, it will help the new kitten acclimate to its surroundings and secondly, you don't want any diseases the kitten may be carrying to affect your bengal. You will want to spend lots of time with your kitten in the safe room.

The best way to introduce them initially is through the swapping of their scents. This can be done with towels or blankets. Something each cat has laid on -- and you swap it out with the other so each kitten has the other's scent. Once you plan to bring them together, you want to supervise them. Expect hisses and back arching. If your bengal becomes aggressive or your kitten is terrified, separate them You can feed them in the same vicinity of each other. The food is the distraction but they know each other is there. You can also engage them both in play with toys so they are not fixated on each other.

Know that in some cases, a kitten is brought home and the cats are snuggled up together that night. You've got a male bengal and male bengals are highly territorial and now this kitten has been brought into his territory and he may not be happy or accepting of the cat.

You will have to make sure you now have three litter boxes, an extra cat tree may help, double your play time with the cats. So many people think that a bengal needs a companion or they are bored. Mine is a only cat in our household and I know he would not accept another cat of any kind. You know your bengal better than anyone else. He may be accepting of a new kitten or he may bully the poor little thing. You will not be able to leave them alone together until you know they are best friends.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:15 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi

Thanks for your response. I am thinking of purchasing a Savannah kitten, do you think that this would keep up with him.

My partner seems to think that he doesn't like other cats but how would i know this if he hasn't been introduced to any. He is an indoor cat and goes for walks in the garden on a lead.

Sometimes i think he looks really bored and could do with some company no matter how hard and much i play with him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Can bengals and Savannahs live together? Yes! The Savannah will get larger than the bengal. And having two hybrids like that -- the energy will be crazy! You'll have to make sure your home is catified. I don't know that I would get a male because hybrid males are highly territorial. A female may be a better fix. I still say your bengal may not be bored. You need to spend a lot of time with him and another cat will not necessarily replace that bond. You may want to watch this video and see if this is what you hope for with the cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqeVfneEr8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:42 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes having seen that video that is exactly what I would hope for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are breeders who have bengals and savannahs -- you may want to check with one of them and see if they integrate their kittens. You are not really going to know if your little guy truly wants a friend until you get one for him and see how that goes. I just know savannahs aren't cheap either. I recall a My Cat From Hell episode with two savannahs and two other cats and what it took so they all lived in harmony! And that was a cat room with a super highway and so many toys and beds. A kitten may be different as it will be so small.