[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Kitten behaviors?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten behaviors?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm 
Senior Bengal

I have a 3-month Bengal and lately I've noticed a few issues. I hoping to get some advice so that I can address it correctly. First is we have 4 children in the house ages 2 months, 15 months, 6 & 7. The older ones are great. We have a no touching the cat if he is sleeping, in his safe spot (kitty condo) & no chasing the kitty. If the kitty wants to be let go they do it right away. They follow these rules pretty well but are still kids. The 1 yr old though at times is a little tougher. I've been on it with her to teach her to be gentle. She typically is so it isn't a big concern. The kitten has swatted at her (playfully) or meows (in a annoyed way) if she pulls his fur too much or gives her a gentle bite. It wasn't much so I just was trying to teach my daughter that she needs to be gentle and didn't mind his behavior. However we've noticed "attitude" now when ever we do something he doesn't like. If we pick him up when he doesn't want he bite (not to hard) and has a annoyed meow. How should I handle this? I want to respect the kitty but also don't want to encourage some behaviors. He has TONS of escape areas that are kid free too plus the kids are always supervised. Overall I think they are pretty good with him.

My other issue is in the past week he has started getting on the tables/counters a lot. He seems very determined. He'll run and grab food off my children's plates & removing him doesn't help. Right back at it. Or he'll have his attitude meows (for lack of better words) as I'm removing him. Squirting him with water doesn't phase him. It just seems over the past week or so I've noticed it more. Very determined to do what he wants & not as tolerate for anything he doesn't want. He has a look like he is ready to battle for what he wants lol. I wonder if as he adjusts (we've had him 3-4 weeks) he just trying to find his place in our family?

Post subject: Re: Kitten behaviors?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:38 am 
Senior Bengal

Today he also found my daughter high chair & goes crazy trying to steal her food. She eats 3 meals & 2-3 snacks a day. I don't want to keep putting him in the bathroom but he is on a mission & seems very unhappy that I'm stopping him. I've yet to fully wipe it down tonight. About too and have pulled him off of it probably 10 times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

He's being a Bengal! Bengal's aren't keen on being picked up, and just as you are asking him to respect the rules of your house, he is asking you to respect he isn't keen on being picked up. Bengals tend to let you know when they want fuss - Jagger stretches up my arm and pulls himself on my shoulder if he wants to be picked up or fussed - always with his claws, but that is him being affectionate. Otherwise, he isn't interested and if he is picked up when he doesn't want to be will immediately struggle to escape by whatever means possible.

As for the kitchen counters etc, again, he is being a Bengal - if you manage to stop him doing that please let me know as I've never managed it. I shut them out of the kitchen when I'm cooking and we shut them out of the room to eat as well otherwise they are keen to inspect what we have and/or try to nick it. Bengals are extremely determined and don't tire of attempting to get their own way. He's been with you now I think for a few weeks so he is clearly feeling settled and pushing his boundaries. Its all a game to Bengals, and nicking the food is just a game to him and the more you chase after him, the more fun it is for him.

You will find that he will learn the rules of the house and calm down a little, but Bengals are nosy, mischievous, determined and basically always looking for trouble!

I never sprayed mine with water. Be consistent sternly telling him no and make some adjustments such as shutting him out of wherever you are eating or your daughter is eating in her high chair. It seems a bit extreme to shut him in the bathroom for a time out when he is just being a Bengal!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Spraying a cat with water only makes the cat fear you -- and you need to be working on bonding the kitty with your family. You have a busy family with lots of kids. If your kitty did not have that same environment at the breeders, then he's simply trying to adjust to his new surroundings. It is very difficult to get small children to be gentle with pets. They don't know any better. Most pets understand that it's just a child and will tolerate the hair pulling up to a point and then they will lash out.

As for jumping on counters -- bengals do like to jump and climb and you need to have at least one tall cat tree for him to be high up in the air. As for stealing food ... not sure if he's doing it because he is hungry or if he's just bored. A kitten should eat several times throughout the day. And human food is not healthy for a cat.

Bengals are very high energy! He should have several toys, especially wand toys, and you need to be playing with him to wear out some of that energy. I am sure with all your children, you are quite busy, but your bengal is very social and wants to be with people. Bengals don't go off in a corner and sleep for 20 hours a day. No, they don't enjoy being picked up and carried around. If you wanted that type of cat, you made a huge mistake buying a bengal.

A cat will soon learn the meaning of the word "NO!". Use it a lot when removing he's doing something he shouldn't be. He is a kitten after all, and bengals are quite curious and will definitely test your boundaries.

A bengal will remain a 3-year old toddler for the rest of its life! So, it's like having five children! and one who will never grow up. You are going to have your hands full until your younger children can grasp the concept of playing and handling a kitten.

It sounds to me as if your bengal is bored and has very little stimulation. When he jumps on the counters, you need to put him down and get a toy and redirect his attention to the toy. Your older children should be able to play with your kitten with the wand toys. I hope you find a happy medium because an unhappy bengal will make your life miserable and you will be looking at returning him to the breeder or finding him a new home.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:44 pm 
Senior Bengal

He has tons of toys, posts, climbing things. Different types of wands, balls, chirping toys, interactive toys. I don't mind him not wanting to be held. Before he just squirmed away but lately it's more aggressive . . Not aggressive but just different. Trying to cook or do dishes or eat is a big battle. I almost wonder if I should fight the counters :( and just put him in his room when I'm cooking if he is an issue. He is fast & determined & seemed annoyed if I stop him. He is a wonderful kitty! He has quite areas he can go to if he wants but also there are people to interact with all day too. We work from home so he is not just left to be bored. I expect him to be into all kinds of things. That's one reason I wanted a Bengal . . They are always full of energy & fun to watch. Table I guess I don't care about. At meal times I'll put him in his room. Kitchen counters I hate but he is soooo determined.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I generally use a bit of washing up liquid on a wet cloth.

Dettol is wonderful for many things, but has no place in a house that has cats. Once they ingest it ( from say cleaning their feet after walking on a freshly cleaned couter ) they cannot get rid of or process it. One of the links said that as little as 1/3 of a teaspoon of dettol is enough to kill.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Didn't realise it was that toxic but will throw it all out now! Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Clare,

I changed all my cleaning products to Method when we got Oscar as I became paranoid after an experienced Bengal owner scared the hell out of me with horror stories! She also told me bleach (I used to be the bleach queen) is a very attractive smell to Bengals. Must admit I did think 'yeah right, really???' After a couple of days of having Oscar I did a little experiment and put a tiny bit of bleach down the loo when he was near. He came straight over to sniff it. I had slammed the lid down by that point but it taught me a lesson. :lol: I think all the Method products are guaranteed pet and child safe.........you just need a second mortgage to buy them :lol: :rolleyes:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 pm 
Senior Bengal

I got him at 12 weeks and he will be 4 months in a few days. I've only had him about 4-weeks. I'll need to figure this out a bit. I can't shut him into 1/2 the house since my house isn't set up like that. It's not big either. We don't have a dish washer :( so often a good portion of the mess is left in the sink until after the kids are in beds. I put away the food.

I've been thinking about cleaners. I don't even know what I have right now. 409 maybe :/ typically buy natural stuff but last time I saw some great sales.

Super super excited. Last night he finally started playing catch! Great way to tire him out. Even my 1-yr old can play fetch with him