[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - HELP wailing cat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP wailing cat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Good evening
our bengal is 5 years spayed female recently she has become incredibly noisy wailing day and night we have had complaints from neighbours! We have taken her to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with her... any advice on how to quieten her down.

Post subject: Re: HELP wailing cat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum! If the vet has ruled out anything medical, then we'll move onto what might be causing the sudden increase in the vocalizing of what is a very vocal breed of cat. Does she wail 24/7? Only at certain times of the day or night? Is this your only kitty? How far away are your neighbors? Adjoining walls?

First thing that comes to mind is the possibility of another cat being in the area outside. Indoor cats can see and sometimes smell another cat in the vicinity. Do any of your neighbors also own cats that may be allowed to roam outdoors -- or perhaps a stray has come around.

Second, she may require more play time. If she is an indoor only cat, there may be some pent up energy that she needs to get out.

Third, have you considered training her to walk on a harness and leash and take her out for some exercise? Walking calms Raiden down immensely. He had been an outdoor cat and we made him an indoor cat. Talk about wailing. It was 24/7 in the beginning. Now he cries because he wants his walk. And he's fairly quiet the rest of the time (unless he's hungry and wants to eat or requires a belly rub).

You can also look into cat enclosures which will increase the space your kitty has to enjoy. Even a window perch with fascinating outdoor scenery can help.

I would be concerned that this is recent behavior. Visiting a vet is good, but could the vet have missed something? If you're certain everything is fine, then you're going to have to seek out the source. When Raiden has spotted another cat outside, he goes ballistic. So see if your kitty is doing this after smelling at an exterior door, or looking out the window. Be observant and the answer may be right in front of you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My mother's cat Archie was a night talker. He would wake me up when I stayed over. I don't know how she and her neighbors could take it ( I think they were all hard of hearing as it was a no pet building). I would shush him and try to get him to stop and he would come right back and start wailing again. After my mom passed away, Archie came to live with me until I could re-home him. He was way too loud for my condo and my cat didn't want him living with us. To make the transition bearable, I would play classical music softly at night and Archie shut up! Cats really react to music. I found Archie a really nice home with two kids that love him. I told the parents the classical music trick, and last I heard Archie was part of the family.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for adding that information, Jill. Raiden loves Soundscapes on Music Choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As an example, there was a black cat laying in our yard -- I could see it on our surveillance cameras. Raiden could not see the cat, but while the cat was there, Raiden was wailing big time. I finally went out and scared the kitty away and Raiden quieted right down! I think you need to start with other cats in your area, especially a neighbor who may have one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They have such sharp hearing and sense of smell. I can be in the house with the door ajar and flip open a can of cat food and my cats can hear that outside 50 feet away. They freeze, turn and bolt towards the door. I don't even need to call them to dinner. It's the same at night when I want them to come in for the night. The sound of kibble hitting a plate and they materialize instantly.

They don't cry much, but when they want me to get up and let them out they make a high pitched whine. If I take too long a meow will burst out but for the most part they retain wailing for car rides to the vet. This morning there was an egret in my back yard and about a half dozen ducks honking their heads off at dawn. Grace kept going up to my head making the siren sound, first on one side of the bed and then the other until I got up and let them out to join the party. I tried to take a video of the commotion but the egret flew off when I went outside.