[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Tips on cat fights with neighbouring cat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:23 am 
Bengal Kitten

We have 2 Bengals, Zeus (boy) and Khaleesi (girl), both 8 months old brother and sister. They have been going outside now for about 2 months. We live in an urban area, on a quiet residential street where there are a few cats. We have a small fenced front garden and a large back garden, surrounding by high fences, but a few holes in the fence where our 2 come in and out.... sorry just trying to paint the picture!

We are encountering problems with a neighbouring black cat that has on several occasions chasing our 2 Bengals home. In the last 24 hours we have had 2 cat fights, one last night and one this morning; both with our boy Zeus. Both have been in our back garden, so the black cat is literally seeking them out in daylight to fight. There’s no eyeing up and down or general hissing, he just comes straight in and attacks. Nasty little cat.

Any tips? I have no idea if there is anything we can do or whether it’s just a case that they need to sort it out between themselves. I think it’s a case that our 2 are the ‘new kids on the block’ and the older black cat is fighting for his territory.

Neither of ours are hurt, just shaken. Zeus spent his evening on top of a cupboard feeling very sorry for himself :cry:

We understand that cat fights is one of the many risks we took when allowing them outside, so please no negativity :eek: Any help would be appreciated. x

Last edited by jcm87 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:24 am 
Bengal Kitten

Also, our 2 are both neutered and spayed. They are also microchipped and we have a sureflap catflap so the other cat cannot enter our home. x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feel your pain! We have a huge grey cat that bullies ours. We leave a window open in the conservatory for ours to go in and out of, and it has even tried to follow them in when it's chasing them.

I've been lucky in that my two haven't actually had a fight with it, they tend to run indoors. But like your one, it actively seeks them out and will sit outside the patio doors staring in at them whilst my two hiss and growl at it - they are very brave when there is a glass door between them! Obviously I don't want them to fight it anyway as I don't want them to get hurt.

I have a water pistol and I have managed to get it with that a couple of times and it seems to come round a little less now - I actually think it uses our garden as a route to and from home, but I'm not sure where it lives.

One suggestion I was given was to use waste from the litter box and put it round the garden so other cats know your two live there now and that it is their territory. My cats have never cottoned on to going outside or spraying to mark territory and come in to use their trays so that is easy for me but yours may go outside I don't know.

It is really frustrating and the cat probably is fighting for his territory but hopefully after a while he will cotton on that your garden is the territory of your guys now. Good that you have a sureflap, I'd like one of those too so I could shut the window and not have the grey one following mine indoors.

Sorry I can't be more help!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:29 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Clare :smile:

So sorry to hear you’re having the same issues. It’s very frustrating! We have the hose out now and ready for when its lurking... at night we’ve seen him a few times on our patio waiting for them, luckily ours are locked in at night. Next time I catch him, he’s getting soaked! :evil:

Definitely would recommend the sure flap, best thing ever! Comforted by the thought he can’t follow them in completely, and they’re safe at home inside.

I have noticed mine have been toileting on our lawn, maybe this is them marking their territory? They don’t use the litter trays much anymore so can’t do that.

Fingers crossed they sort this all out soon, I am a very anxious and worried Bengal owner :cry: x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ours are kept in at night too, I like to know they are safe so I can sleep without worrying about what they are up to! Plus we have foxes in the area and they seem to be around a lot lately as well.

Not sure about going to the toilet on the lawn - the grey one does that on our lawn so maybe it is a territory thing. He actually looks me straight in the eye when he does it as well :evil: Either that or the ground is too hard for them to dig - assuming you are in the UK? - as it has been quite cold lately.

I need to have a glazier to cut a hole in a glass door for the sureflap - which is the main reason I don't have one yet. Plus the other half is talking about moving so no point until a final decision is made....

My other half thinks they should be left to sort it out between them, but I prefer trying to deter the cat from our garden - my two look so small up against it!

Let me know how you get on with the hose!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feel your pain. Even though Raiden goes walking on a harness and leash and he has a confined cat enclosure, a neighbor's cat would come around our yard just taunt Raiden. When the previous owner allowed Raiden to roam outdoors, he got into fights with this cat which resulted in trips to the vet, pain medication, shots, etc. When I took Raiden in, I limited his outdoor access, however, this other cat came into our yard, would get on the other side of the enclosure or under the enclosure (our deck was elevated) and just lay there, knowing that he was aggravating Raiden (who is very territorial). I complained to our Homeowners Association and they were the ones who told me the neighbors were moving. Their cat actually attacked me and I went to their house to show them my wounds and asked that they keep their cat inside. They tried! It's not easy. Then they started renovating their house to put it on the market. I was terrified to go out my back door. I was so happy when they finally left. We still have other cats that roam around, but they do not cause Raiden any worries. He sees them, but they usually just walk on by.

You're simply going to have provide a safe place for your cats. I was not pleased that this other cat came into MY yard. But, without a very high fence and netting from the trees, this cat was going to come into my yard regardless. Speak to the owners of this other cat. In my neighborhood cats are like dogs and are supposed to be "confined to the lot on which the owner resides." It was a stupid rule and it's not even enforced.

Trust me ... a cat fight can result in serious injuries and even death! They go for the neck and the jugular vein and if that is hit, the cat bleeds to death in an instant. This is not an "oh, look, they are fighting." They will fight to the death! There's the chance of infection of FIV and FeLV from another cat. If there is some way for an enclosure of some type. Or fencing. I know it's ridiculous when you have to go through all of this to protect your cats.

After I had spoken with the neighbors, I sent them pictures and notes showing their cat in my yard. I told them I would trap their cat and take it to Metro Animal Services. After all, the cat is in MY yard. I tried to be a good neighbor and one morning I ran into the husband and he asked if had seen Turkey their cat. He had gotten out, he needed to go to work and there Raiden and I were walking down the street.

You may not be as lucky to have your neighbor move!!! But my problem is now solved. I still bear the scars from the four fangs of their cat and Raiden has the scars from at least five vicious cat fights with this cat. But, no more! Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:04 am 
Bengal Cat

Is your Raiden Neutered Sherry? I thought that only fights between entire cats can result in fatalities. My old boy of 15 has been having scuffles since we got him at 7 months and he was neutered around that time. Had many abscesses but nothing more than that.