It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Bengal Fans,

I'm new to the forum; this is my first post. I have two beautiful 18-month old Bengal boys; they are cousins but their personalities couldn't be more different. While they are both energetic and playful, Jasper is relaxed, low-key, patient. Mowgli is high-strung, hyper, anxious and very loud about it when he's unhappy. We're having some construction work done in the house, so I put the boys in the master bedroom/bathroom suite (not a small space) for the day while a window and door were replaced so they wouldn't run outside. They had food, water, toys, a cat tree - and each other for company. Jasper slept the day away. Mowgli decided to try to dig his way out - under the door and through the carpet.

Anticipating an upcoming week when the floors will be redone and the boys will need to be contained again, I asked the vet for an anti-anxiety medication. She prescribed Amitriptyline, which may help Mowgli with his anxiety overall. (He has multiple daily bouts of anxiety - for example, if my husband or I go out to get the newspaper or work in the garden or go the grocery store, Mowgli will stand by the door and howl the entire time we're gone. Nothing we do can console him.)

I hesitate to put him on a drug regimen, especially since there are some scary potential side effects. However, it can't be fun to live his entire kitty life with such paralyzing anxiety that he howls uncontrollably for 10-15 minutes several times per day. Anybody have a positive or negative story about Amitriptyline in Bengals to share?

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, bengals do howl and a lot. I have one of those. There's nothing behaviorally wrong with him. He's a typical bengal cat. All cats can suffer anxiety, however, and that can bring on other behavioral problems. It sounds like Mowgli wants to enjoy the outdoors, which cats love! Whenever we go out the back door, Raiden is right there, usually standing looking out the window at us. He gets a daily walk and has an outdoor enclosure that he loves. As for confining your kitties when work is done at your home, that really shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that Mowgli doesn't seem to want to be confined. Personally, I try to avoid drugs with cats unless absolutely necessary! The work being done in your home won't last forever. It's just something your cats will have to deal with.

While the uncontrollable howling is aggravating, some bengals are just that way. Mine is screaming right now because he wants to go out for a walk and it's 26 degrees outside and I'm waiting until it warms up a little. He doesn't stop howling until we walk out the door, so I'm just closing my ears to him and let him howl. Once we get back from our walk, he will eat, wash himself, and take a nap and be fine! Until later today when he thinks it's time for his afternoon walk. Then I go through this again.

You really know your cats better than anybody else. But, personally, I'd avoid the drug if at all possible. It's difficult to control dosages in cats, and cats seem to react differently to similar drugs. You have to decide if it's worth it in the long run or if you can handle a couple of days with Mowgli going crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you very much, Sherry. I appreciate your advice and sharing your story about Raiden - it sounds like they are VERY similar in personality. Mowgli just howls and howls and howls - I can turn my ears off to it for the most part, but there are times when he sounds so very frantic and desperate that it really tears my heart out.

My husband and I have decided we just can't drug our cat. We'll figure something else out. The risk of any side effects are just not worth it.

We take Jasper and Mowgli out for walks each day also (unless it is freezing-rain like today!), but we don't have an outdoor enclosure. What does your outdoor enclosure encompass?

The construction work we're having done is to build a screened porch on the back of the house - so hopefully that will serve as an outdoor enclosure of sorts and help them enjoy some semi-outside time. Unless they jump through the screen of course (we're mentally prepared for that . . . :)

Thank you, again, for sharing.

Sincerely,
A.W. (MowglisMom)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad to hear your kitties get to enjoy outdoor walks. Raiden's enclosure is built on our deck. My husband just extended the railings and we put translucent panels as a roof and wire fencing to enclose it. It's elevated off the ground. Raiden accesses it from a cat door in the dining room window. I think a screened in porch would do great -- although when we lived in Florida and had cats, they loved to climb the screening, which damages it. If you can put a cat tree out there and have some toys, they may do fine.

It occurred to me that you may want to put a TV on or have music playing in the room you put your cats while the construction work is going on. That may help with Mowgli, although sometimes, cats just do not like to be contained. I'm sure if I put Raiden in the bathroom by himself, he would be gnawing at the door to get out. Just know the construction work will be done quickly.

Some bengals are more vocal than others. Right now, Raiden is quiet as a mouse as he has had his walk, but once we get out of bed in the morning, he will start his howling until he gets out the back door.

I'm happy to hear you've decided against the drug. There are holistic remedies that Jackson Galaxy recommends -- they are different for different situations, including anxiety. They contain herbs and no drugs. You might want to check them out. I think they are called Spirit Essences. Some cat owners are having great success with them. I haven't tried them, so I couldn't tell you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks again. I looked into Jackson Galaxy's herbal formulas and will give the Stress Stopper a try for the duration of the construction.

Also, putting the radio or television on while the boys are contained is a very good idea. A couple of week's ago Nat Geo Wild channel had "Big Cat Week" and while I was watching the plight of lions and leopards on the African savannah, I noticed that my Bengals were also enjoying watching their distant relatives hunt and play on the big screen. Fascinating! I wonder what they think the cats on tv are? They can't smell them, but they could definitely hear them and were definitely interested in watching them.

Maybe there is a squirrel or bird channel specifically designed for cats :).

I guess some bad habits (tv watching) are easily spread across species!