[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Welcome Home ?
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome Home ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was wondering what sort of reception people get when they come home in the evening from their Bengals ?

My 2 kittens are, I think, quite cuddly for Bengals - they are both very happy in general and like being picked up/cuddled and he especially adores tummy rubs. In the evenings I will always have at least one of them laid out across my lap.- When I come home they never seem that fussed - they will come to the front door, but are not vocal and don't give me much in the way of a greeting. Tonight was typical in that they came to the door and then sniffed around the area of the door and she after a minute or two raised her tail. There was no vocalising or rubbing up against me. The only thing that does seem to get them excited when I come home is when I have a bag of shopping with me.

Post subject: Re: Welcome Home ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of my girls greets me every day with paws frantically reaching out under the laundry room door when I come through the garage. It makes me laugh every time I see it. I always touch her paws and wiggle my fingers under the door back to her. The other female is too cool for such obvious gestures. She lays in front of the door and looks at me unimpressed. They both follow me around to remind me it is dinner time. The aloof one darts out on the patio after dinner and the loving one stays with me to play and try to get some of my dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I work shifts, so for me it depend what shift I'm on. The mrs gets home before me on days, and by that time they've been fed and are having a good run around, or a lazy nap on the sofa. On nights, mostly I wake them up when I get through the front door, I look up the stairs and see 1-4 sleepy faces looking over the edge of the landing down at me. If I pet any of them I get instant purrrs, and if I sit I'll get a cuddle from at least one of them. The general daytime reception is more like "oh, our hoomans home, lets go get some attention!" so they will jump up onto the back of the sofa and expect some stroking until such point that one of us sits down and they will either cuddle, play, chase each other or jump up on the side board as a hint that they are hungry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Diesel talks to me a little bit when I get home, and I talk back to him :redface:. He always wants pets and is purring very loudly, he usually wants me to hold him and he'll lick and chew on my fingers while I scratch his chin for a few minutes. Once he's said hello he's off to do "dude cat" things.

My husband says he doesn't react to him coming home at all.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Every bengal will be different. Raiden is always at the door waiting for me as he hears the garage door open and close. He will immediately roll over for a tummy rub. We will walk down the steps to the kitchen and he'll start his crying as he knows it means he gets to go outside for a walk. Raiden is a head butter and a leg rubber. But not all cats are that way. I'm sure yours are very happy to see you. They are just showing it in a different way. Also, you have TWO of them, so they have been keeping each other company and they aren't as reliant on you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The response you are getting from your kittens will probably be quite different than what you get when they are adults. I honestly don't even recall what the response was of mine when they were kittens :lol: But right now, Serafina can nearly always be found snoozing in the highest perch of "her" cat tree downstairs, not far from the door. So the usual greeting from her when I open the door is she'll sit up from her cat bed, yawn, and bound down slowly but gracefully in kind of an understated "welcome home". Gaga and Neytiri seem to usually sleep upstairs, so they inevitably come jogging down the stairs some minutes later. Sometimes I even have to call to them to get them to come down, but all three then want to follow me around, hanging around me looking for some petting and interesting in the upcoming dinner preparations.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh geez Brianj that sounds EXACTLY like my house! BB used to get really wild when we would come home, she would run through the house meowing and attacking anything in the floor. Now she moves like a sloth when we come home. She will get up slowly, yawn, stretch, and roll over for a belly rub. That's about the extent of her greeting lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My two are about 16 months now and if I'm home first (which means the OH is late) I can usually see them looking out for us in the bedroom window. They come dashing to the front door and if I'm not quick enough getting into the porch and unlocking the front door, they start to meow but otherwise wait patiently. Then they both dash into the porch - just in case there might be something of interest to them - Hendrix will throw himself down on the door mat and roll around like a lunatic until I rub his belly.

Whilst Hendrix has a belly rub, Jagger has his nose in any bags I may have brought in as these must be thoroughly investigated before dinner is demanded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm at home all day and both my Bengal and Burmese demand attention and are quite vocal about it.

They both follow me about the house but Dexter particularly does this and seems to enjoy my daily housekeeping routine. He will cry for me to turn the taps on in the bathroom and he 'helps' to make the beds :mrgreen: . He loves following me from room to room.

My Burmese hates to be picked up but is very loving, gives lots of head bumps and is forever trying to sit on you but if you move one inch he gets disturbed and will most of the time jump off. He will paw at me for strokes all the time.

Dexter, my Bengal will sit next to you but not on your lap. He doesn't mind being picked up and likes to be carried thrown over the shoulder and will purr away. He gives me such loving looks all the time and his usual spot is upstairs where it is warm but he will vocalise quite loudly a couple of times a day wanting me to go up and stroke him. He will roll onto his back demanding tummy tickles.

With Dexter I feel it is very early days and there's a lot more to come from him. He has only just started to accept my dh for instance and his confidence seems to be growing daily at the moment.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good to hear that there are different welcome home reactions from other cats.

I do find it strange the way mine react, not least because they are so energetic, cuddly and into anything that I am doing around the apartment. They are just so nonchalant about my return. If they could talk I guess they'd seem to be saying: "Oh, you're back, I didn't notice" What, us? we just happened to be near the front door, there was something here that needed sniffing".

Would a Miaow and a cartwheel or two *really* be too much to ask for on the return of their favourite toy/issuer of tummy rubs/feeder/pre-heated seat ?