It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone! I am looking for some advice on my bengal. We rescued Nyx about 3 weeks ago. She is about 1 years old. We are almost positive she was abused/neglected at her old home. I have had cats my whole life and did a lot of research before taking on a bengal. We are having many problems with her and I am looking to see if anyone has experienced this..she meows constantly, it never stops, we talk to her and try to have conversations and we try to play with her but she freaks out and gets an alarming meow. She won't let us get near her, even enough to play. The meowing wakes us up every night and when I go to check on her, her food is full, her litter box is clean, there are a ton of toys, I go to show her some love and attention and she freaks out and runs to hide. I'm not sure what else to do. I knew bengals talked a lot and I have no problem with it. But it never ever stops and I have tried everything. She is also spayed alreadt and sprays everything, I am unsure how to stop it. She sprays the bed, couch, pillows, everything. The one positive is that she is very sweet when she allows us to get near her, which is only about 3 times since we've had her. She purrs and lucks us and snuggles, but that rarely ever happens. HELP!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You may have not researched the bengal enough as they are very vocal kitties and I initially thought that meant some "talking" and not crying nonstop. They will cry for no reason. That's simply the breed. It probably won't get any better. Mine is howling right now -- probably because he wants some playtime. As for the spraying, I'd recommend purchasing Feliway -- preferably in a diffuser and refill form (and you can get the spray to treat the areas) and put it in the room (or rooms) she's spraying. Spraying is mainly territorial. She's trying to make her territory and make it her own. And it can occur as a result of stress -- I don't think people realize what a change it is for the cat to come into a strange home with new smells, new people with new smells. They think they'll acclimate pretty fast and some times it takes a while -- and lots of patience by the owner.

It's apparent the bonding has not gone very well if you've only been able to touch her about three times. You've got to be around her more. Talk to her softly. If she's hiding, just sit on the floor where she can see you and talk to her. Try to get her to interact with toys. She needs to become more comfortable at her own pace and not yours. If you're a typical cat owner (of non-bengal cats), then you know cats tend to just go off and hide and you never see them unless they want food or some attention. Bengals crave attention and want to be with their owners ALL the time. Bengals do have a sweet disposition and this is one of the most charming things about them. You have no idea what type of life she had before you rescued her. She may have extreme fear in her that she is going to have to overcome.

Recently, there was a post from someone with a bengal kitten who was totally aloof and would not come out in the open. It took a few months, but the cat finally jumped up beside her on the couch looking for some love. I had advised her to be patient ..... don't get rattled by what the kitty is doing. Don't yell at her if she marks or pees anywhere. Put an extra litter box or two in the rooms where she likes to pee. Most of all, do not give up on her. She needs a loving, stable home. If she gets that, she will come around. It will just take time and some hard work on our part. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:07 pm 
Bengal Cat

3 weeks is not long. It may take a few months for her to relax, and possible even up to a year for her to actually actively engage you upon her own accord. She could turn out to be the most loving cat though when she's comfortable. That's how my old stray was, when she eventually trusted me after about a year she wanted to cuddle so much that it was almost a nuisance. Haha.

My current non bengal wont come near me for 2 weeks just from pilling her for a deworm (and she's moderately loving). Cat's hold grudges like that.

That said I don't think it's hopeless or anything. It just takes a lot of patience. My bengal is only a kitten but he meows at everything and for any reason.
He howls, cries, chatters, chirps, etc. Also my last cats that weren't bengals meowed nonstop for a solid 3 weeks when I moved houses and in the manner you described and they were obviously not abused and also not bengals so 3 weeks isn't unreasonable for a chatty breed with a questionable past.

She probably wont meow much less even when she is happy, it will just go from nervous meowing to pining for you attention which is at least a little cuter and more welcome but not any less annoying when you are trying to do something or sleep. You never know though she might get quiet too.

Feliway and putting litter boxes where she pee's is a good start.
Most of all I just think you need to give it more time before you worry.

Also a urinary tract infection is always a possibility, it tends to make them meow a lot and pee in inappropriate places.
Just a thought.