It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:02 am 
Bengal Kitten

So the problem is my 18month old female bengal, Ishtar, dislikes her our new kitty, Samson (3 years old maincoon male). She is behaving very territorial and chasing him out of rooms we humans are in. Lots of neck biting, and salting etc. Ishy's tail is not huge, nor are her ears back, but Samson is a not having it. His ears are back. He is not being aggressive.

History; Ishy was a present last summer before we knew what a bengal cat was. She was taken away far too early at 8 weeks. And we treated her like a normal cat, not the intelligent/sensitive bengal that she is. So we have had a ton of corrective behavioral problems we have had to fix, in both her and in how we treat her. She loves us, loves some people automatically, but just hates-and I mean hates other people. I have introduced her before to other cats, but it never went well. Mainly because one cat the same age as her was very friendly to her and she was in too new of place to feel comfortable. She has been alone with nus for the past 16 months and we have taken Samson in. Samson was a shelter kitty, whose previous owner passed away and we didn't want him to go back to a shelter.

I have tried playing with them but Ishy just stops once Samson starts to play. If he uses her toys she attacks him. He has his own litter box, water bowl, and food dish.

I am buying feliway.

Please help me with what to do with my jealous bengal girl.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 am 
Bengal Kitten

OP

I should say we took in Samson about 3 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your first mistake was introducing the two kitties immediately and hope they get along. The new arrival should have had a safe room where the kitty can get used to a smaller area (litter box, food, play toys). Your bengal has had the territory and doesn't want to share with the new kitty and the new kitty can't establish territory with the bengal there, thus ..... the new kitty has to have an area that belongs to him. First, you need separate litter boxes, separate cat trees, separate toys. You can start out by feeding them together in the same area. If they are concentrating on food, they are associating the other cat with good things. You can also put them together in the same room and play with them. It helps to have another person so that you each play with one of the kitties. There is no fast track to getting an existing cat to accept a new kitty. It takes time and lots of patience. There can be no bullying by either cat, no hard fighting either. So many times people think adding a cat will smooth out things and it doesn't work. Cats can get along and bengals are supposed to get along with other cats. They may grow to love each other. You've just got to take baby steps to get them there. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you Sherry. Yes, I have just separated them. Which they do not like. And are in fact trying to play with each other now through the doors, (old house so doors have about an inch before they hit the floor). I did separate them the first week. Then gradually let them hang out together in longer increments over the following week- but it did not seem to help.

I think re-separating them is my best bet. And starting over with the process and maybe separating them for 2 weeks.

Any other advice please let me know!