[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - cat's reaction to a flock of ibis
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This morning about 30 ibis flew into my back yard and started feeding on the edge of the lake. My one cat was following me around as usual, but the other one was mesmerized in front of the glass doors watching the birds feed in front of her. Her eyes were crazed and every few seconds her mouth opened and closed convulsively as she made little chirping sounds with her whiskers quivering. She didn't seem to have any control over her mouth movements and seemed almost possessed. The other cat stood and stared at her and didn't have that sort of reaction even though she also saw the birds. This went on for over a half hour and was rather fascinating to watch. Even as the birds moved around to the other side of the lake she continued to stare and quiver at them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like her prey drive was in high gear.

I had a Siamese who was like that when birds would land on our porch. He would make the strangest sounds and was totally focused on the birds.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The long-haired orange girl in my signature does that at birds and at the red dot from the laser toy. She gets all of her fur going when she chirps, it is the funniest sight.

I read somewhere that the chirping sound has to do with a bite/ kill reflex. She is the only cat I have had that does that.

Two of the others spent hours the other night growling at one of my neighbors toys that blew onto the patio. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

In the early fall, we get wild turkeys that come through our yard. There's usually at least 9 of them -- various sizes. They are feeding on the dropped bird seed on the ground. Raiden is fascinated by them and does the same exact thing. I think it's because they only come around once a year and they hang out here for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Both my cats make that chirping sound and other sounds with their mouths closed. They can meow but only do that when I am fixing their food. I ordered one of those flying bird toys and it arrived today. They were so excited to play with it. The one kept opening her mouth wide and sticking her tongue out and panting while she watched it twirl over her head. When she caught it she kept growling. After about 20 minutes of this I got a little scared and hid it for now. She killed a lizard tonight as soon as she went out on the patio. I think she is a little over stimulated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:43 pm 
Bengal Cat

My bengal immediately makes that noise at anything he perceived as prey which is also above him. So if you dangle a string over him he chatters as well.
My other non bengal cat doesn't even meow so...
haha