It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi guys,
Previously thought I was a member of this forum, but couldn't log in....
We are the owners of 2 Bengal girls - Izzy & Sparkle. (both 4 years old). They mean a lot to us and have such individual personalities. Poor Sparkle is what we call our special baby, as every so often she will fit, but we have that under control and thought that was the end of our little hiccups. But then........ last week, my other girl - Izzy decided to display some bizarre behaviour.
Quick run down:

During the day the girls are allowed outside, all my neighbours know and love them, and have never had anyone complain about them, if anything they will tell me that they are having a kip at their place, night time it is a must that they come inside and stay inside til the next morning. Problem is, Izzy has decided that once she is in she runs for either the front door or back door and sits there and meows. This meow will continue for hours, and get a louder call like cats do when shaping up for fighting or growling. Nothing has occurred inside that I can recall, as she was fine one day, then the next it all begun. She has gotten super clingy at night time, sleeping really close to me (used to be at the end of the bed and she was happy, now she is practically on top of me)
I have taken her to the vet and he said its psychological, that she will get out of it, it will take time.
I guess I am wondering if anyone else has had this type of issue, I would appreciate the help.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Most cats allowed outdoors do not like being confined indoors! I have one of those who had been allowed to run free and now has to stay inside the house or his outdoor cat enclosure or I walk him on a leash. Sounds like there is something outside that your Izzy wants. I'm surprised you can keep yours in at night. I don't think this is psychological. There's something out there -- another cat -- something Izzy wants to get at.

I commend you in keeping them indoors at night when predators may also be out there. Mine still goes to the door at all hours and cries. He understands "no." I think you just have to wait this out and see if Izzy changes. I used to have a neighborhood cat that came over and hung around my house, causing Raiden to go crazy. After that cat attacked me and 5 doctor visits, I informed the owner that the cat had to be kept inside or I was trapping him and taking him to Animal Control. Raiden used to wait and wait to see that cat. He still looks for him. There are two other cats we see occasionally and Raiden wants to go after them all the time. So maybe you're just not seeing what the cause of Izzy's fascination with the outdoors is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hey Sherry,
Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any cats around at nite, not saying that there isn't any, but I have an indoor pooch as well that has toilet runs during the nite. The inside of a nite time isn't something new I have introduced. Since having them from 9 weeks of age, they were indoor cats for the first 2 months. Then gradually I would let them out, if they meowed at the front door I let them in, but always, by 4.30 they were inside and that is where they stayed til morning. Whilst at work, they stay inside and when I get home, they may only get a couple of hours outside time.
The meowing has calmed somewhat, but I noticed tonite that where there are lights on, she squints almost to the point of her eyes are shut (daytime outside she seems fine). Will keep persisting with her and keep an eye on the activities outside. Thanks again :)