[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sentry Calming Cat Collars
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:26 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello, it's been a while since I posted here and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this kind of experience.

For some background, my girl Polly came to me as a 5 year old somewhat traumatized and nervous re-homing with her sister (same litter) Mia. Their previous owner got a dog, and the cats did not handle it well, Polly more so than Mia. Polly has a spraying problem that we are working on (it's really only if she smells dog, when the window was open by their litter boxes for example, or if someone with dogs comes to my house.)
She's a nervous girl, she gets scared if people approach her when she's not expecting it, and she really doesn't let anyone new touch her (she will sometimes duck away as though she thinks you may hit her which is pretty heartbreaking.) She has been getting more confident with us over the year we've had them, but she's still very nervous and jumpy.

On to my question, which is about the Sentry Calming Collars.

I bought a three pack of collars from amazon for her, after trying one out from the pet store (which worked really really well, calmness and confidence wise) and she's had a completely different reaction to wearing them this time than last time. She's scared, jumpy, she bent over and smelled the collar and it spooked her and she jumped and ran....

I've taken the collar off of her, and she's somewhat OK, but I'm not sure what to do.... the last one I got worked amazingly for her, it calmed her, gave her confidence, and overall made her seem happier and less nervous. I don't know if there are just not appropriate for her any more, or is there possibly something wrong with the ones I bought?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I also ordered a feliway plug in refill on Amazon at the same time, which I think is OK.... The two cats are ignoring it completely, which they did with the previous plug in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats don't interact with the feliway refill. Raiden has gone over and sniffed at it. I don't know how the collars work, but it is possible Amazon has some cut-rate ones. I know when people were ordering Frontline through them, it wasn't the actual Frontline that they got through their vet and they were a little peeved! I recently ordered my Comfort Zone Feliway refills through Amazon because they were a lot cheaper than through Petco. Not sure if they will work the same, but it's the same brand.

It's apparent your cats and dogs don't mix, so I'd move the litter box to make sure there's no interaction with dogs there and I'd ask that any friends leave their dogs at home. You've got to protect your kitties from any further stress and trauma.

You can find holistic remedies on the internet that might help -- actually, they could help a lot. But, considering Polly has been with you for some time and there's not been much improvement, means you've got to really work with her in order to help her gain confidence.

These kitties were quite traumatized in their previous home and some cats will never forget that. You have to do whatever it takes to make the situation better so they become socialized, normal kitties. Polly needs to learn to trust you, that you're not going to hurt her, and that's just spending a lot more time around her, talking softly to her, trying to engage her in playing with toys. Most bengals want to be with people and interact with them. I don't know if your vet has a suggestion or if there is a cat behaviorist in your midst who could truly help you, Mia and Polly!

My heart breaks for all of you. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Oh there is absolutely no interaction with dogs at all, they haven't seen a dog since they moved to my house almost a year ago. The problem is that their little noses are so good that people who have dogs have dog smell on their clothes and Polly still gets that "omg where is it?" reaction. Sadly the only thing I can think of is giving people with dogs some of my clothes to wear when they come over :) Luckily it's pretty few friends of mine that have dogs. They've got a few litter boxes to choose between, I think Polly mainly uses the one in one of the bathrooms, not near a window. I'm almost suspicious that Mia kind of likes dogs, based on how badly she wanted to go see one at the vet.

Polly actually has improved a lot, despite what it sounds like, she's just really really nervous. She was way worse when she came to me, she hid all the time. She's actually much better today, I think the collar must have been defective in some way. I don't know what else could have set her off.

My vet recommended the feliway, and antidepressants if she doesn't get better, but wasn't otherwise concerned. I wonder if there is a pet behaviourist around me.... that does house calls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feel for you, you must so want to see her calm and happy. A couple of ideas - Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy. A link is attached as there are various types depending on what qualities you want from it. I put a few drops in their drinking water and a couple around their ears and paws when they are freaked out, or I know they will be. I haven't needed to use it much, as my two have grown into pretty confident cats, but just a suggestion for you to try.

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy ... ch-flower/

Another idea - your nervous cat may feel better to be kept in a safe room whilst you have visitors, if that is possible. It means she doesn't practice interacting with others, and she might miss out on whatever fun is to be had - but overall she may feel better to be in a closed room with hiding places so she can just tuck herself away till the all clear.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:51 am 
Bengal Kitten

Those are great ideas, thanks! My cousin recommended rescue remedy as well. I think keeping her in a safe room would work well, she doesn't seem to want to interact with strangers anyway, and normally just watches them suspiciously from across the room.