It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

This is my first post so please excuse me if I am asking a question that has been answered in a previous post but I would like some advise on my own cats situation.

In short, earlier this year my mother was admitted to hospital and that day my Bengal, George (Male, 6 years old), went to the toilet out of his tray. During the course of the few months whilst she was not at home this problem worsened and he began urinating in my living room as well as using a plant pot as a toilet. We managed to control and almost resolve this issue by essentially retraining him. However, my mother eventually passed and the problem is now much worse. Most of the time he urinates in his tray but does his other business seemingly where he pleases. He also usually goes every other day so he passes rather large stools, which must cause him some discomfort.

Taking this large change in his environment (he'd spend all day with my mother) and these signs of a possible urinary infection or other illness into consideration, he has been taken to the vet. The vet noticed no physical signs of an infection but gave him a course of antibiotics anyway as a precautionary measure.

It may also be important to note he is now unbelievably hungry for attention and cries at my bedroom door relentlessly until I let him in. I have another female and she is indifferent to these changes, adding more concern to the situation.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice someone could give me.

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am truly sorry for the loss of your mother. You've taken your boy to the vet. Hopefully, the meds will clear up any infection. I'm going to go to the end of your post first -- your bengal is craving attention. They do crave attention. They require a lot of attention. Ignoring them isn't the way to go. You need to spend time playing with him, interacting with him, because that's just what bengals require. They also want to be where you are. Our bengal sleeps with us every single night.

Jackson Galaxy just posted a video on why cats go outside of their litter box. He claims it's stress! Could the death of your mother have caused this? Possibly. Litter box problems seem more prevelant in multi-cat households. Do you have enough litter boxes? One per cat, plus one extra? Are they placed in areas that give the cat privacy and easy access?

I've had cats since childhood and not one of them ever required the time and attention that Raiden does. He cries for attention. I walk him outside daily and he has a large enclosure he can access 24/7, but he still comes to be to play and rub his belly. Bengals seem like members of the family (just like a two-year-old toddler). You're going to have to devote the time to this cat and this might help.

There are holistic remedies that you can give to the cats, based on their problem. Jackson Galaxy offers them on his website and a lot of people swear by them.

All I can say is good luck and I hope you can find the solution. Your kitty doesn't like going outside the litter box. He's trying to tell you something is wrong.