[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - (soon to be) First time bengal owner--will she need a friend
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone. So I finally bought my first bengal after YEARS of wanting one and reading about them, and I am so excited! However, I'm a bit nervous about her being lonely. My boyfriend and I are both third year medical students, and we'll be starting rotations in August (right after I pick up our new kitten). Obviously, our schedule will vary quite a bit depending if we're on a family med rotation vs a surgery rotation, but there is a good chance that we won't be home for at least 9 hours during the day... some days it'll be much more, I'm sure. Since we're not on the same schedule, I'm hoping that between the two of us, we could work it out so she's not alone for more than 8 hours in a day, but that still worries me. I have every intention of playing with her in the morning before I leave and as soon as I get home and providing her with lots of toys and boxes and things to climb/scratch, but I don't know if that'll be enough. I talked to the breeder at length about all of this (and peppered her with questions for weeks), and she assured me she won't become destructive or aggressive as long as I give her lots of attention when I am home. After she realized I was still concerned, she offered to sell me a beautiful silver female bengal that was born just 4 days after the one I've chosen for a pretty significantly reduced price (in consideration of what I've seen silvers go for) and would let me do a couple of payments to break up the cost burden. But obviously, that reduced price is still A LOT, and for medical students, just one bengal is a bit of a splurge. I know that I could get another kitten that isn't a bengal for much less at a shelter.... but I also don't want to find myself liking one more than the other (that sounds so terrible :sad: ). More importantly, I don't want to find that this bengal ends up sad or lonely after all the time I've been waiting to have one... So I may be willing to take on the expense and live a bit more conservatively if that turns out to be the best option. Or maybe try to find a shelter kitten that could keep up with a bengal? Any thoughts or input is much appreciated! I'm supposed to make a decision about the silver within the next few days :confused:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Short answer - if you're away for those lengths during the day I would definitely go with two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:36 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Do you think it is better to consider getting two bengals or would she be okay with a less expensive kitten as a playmate?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To a bengal, another cat is another cat -- doesn't matter about the breed. Kittens are very active -- bengal kittens especially. They are super curious. My 7-year old is home alone for almost 9 hours a day during the week and he does fine. I don't know about a kitten. I'm sure another kitten -- any type of kitten -- would be a fine addition, but just know that having two of them romping around during the day while you're gone can cause things to be knocked over, so you'll have to "baby proof" your place. Just know that two kittens are double the food, double the litter boxes, and double the play time.

Your kitty will have a big adjustment just living her mommy,siblings, and the breeder. You could try leaving her alone for a couple of weeks and see how she does. Make sure she has some interactive toys that can amuse her. You might want to leave the radio on so she hears voices while you're gone. I've known people that actually get a DVD of a fish tank and put it up on the TV for the cat while they are gone.

If she somehow appears lonely, then you can easily add another kitten to the mix. It's difficult interpreting a cat's feelings, but you should be able to tell. Just remember, Bengals are extremely vocal too and they will cry a lot -- mine mainly for attention, food, and treats.

Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:02 pm 
Bengal Kitten

thank you for the responses! Obviously, if cost weren't a factor, I would buy the silver bengal baby in a heartbeat because I know they already play together and would be happy as adopted sisters. But the cost is definitely something I can't just dismiss as insignificant, because on top of the steep purchase price, it is double everything else as well. That wouldn't be as much of an issue with a shelter kitten because the difference in price would probably be enough to cover food/toys/care for both kittens for a long while. I guess I'm just really torn between practicality and the ideal situation. I thought I could wait until I bring my kitten home and see how she does alone for a week or two, but then of course there is a good chance the silver will have sold to someone else by then, if I decide to make the plunge for another bengal. I've read a few posts on here from people who work long days and their kitten does just fine, but I've definitely seen more posts talking about the need for two in that situation.... Too bad student loans don't cover feline friends! Or at least not at an interest rate of 10% :eek:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:30 am 
Bengal Kitten

Winchester and I do just fine. At first I was really worried and thought I should get another kitty. He is now a year old and he isn't destructive at all and I am gone for at least 9 hours a day. He basically sleeps all day saving up his energy to play when I get home. I live alone in a 600sqft condo. I try to walk him at least every other day is not every day. I even take him to the coffe shop with me occasionally. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Very helpful responses, thank you. It is wonderful to hear that it IS possible to live happily with one bengal, even with a long work day. I think we will likely talk to the breeder some more and do a projection of costs and decide from there. We take our board exams this week so I need to get my mind off of kittens! :) I'm optimistic that whatever we decide, we will do our best to make everyone happy. I've wanted a bengal for so long that it would completely break my heart if I couldn't keep her happy now that I've finally committed to one! Our apartment is decently sized, about 1200 sq feet plus a small patio and 2 bedrooms, so I think even if two kittens joined us they'd have enough space. I also began looking into climbing trees-- who knew those could come so elaborate!! I'll have to search the forum for recommendations on those and a walking harness, as those will probably be good ways for her or them to burn off some energy. Thank you again for the advice! I attached photos of the bengal girl I purchased and the potential snow :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Such beautiful little kitties. I see Brian took a quote from my post, but what I meant was that a bengal kitten isn't going to know that another cat is or isn't a bengal. All they know is it is another cat. I'm glad to hear you're going to give it a try solo. I'm sure you can train your kitty to walk on a leash and it really does get a lot of their energy out the door. And I know you'll be spending as much time with her as you possibly can and she will be spoiled rotten! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:55 am 
Bengal Kitten

We've had out little boy Enzo for over a year now.

In the first few weeks of getting him, I was worried that being on his own "isn't fair, not good for him, will send him mad, make him depressed and lonely" etc all the things I think you are worried about.

Well a year down the line and I don't think it's affected him being on his own at all.

We have put safe toys in the bedroom for when we go out (He likes to jump everywhere so not safe to leave him free to roam completely when we're out as everything is open plan) we can hear him playing, scratching his pads and posts and running about occasionally when we get back in or just as we leave to go out, however...he just sleeps when we aren't around and then he's super active and playful when we are.

What we have noticed, as soon as he realises we are in, he cries out to want to be let out or see us and if he accidentally gets shut out of a room we're in, he doesn't like that either. Also when I'm in one room and Jess is in another, he goes from room to room to see both of us and likes to know where we are.

With that said, I do think there is a small element of not wanting to be alone but we give him all the love and attention we can when we are in.

Recently bought a Harness for him so going to start trying him on that outside, he'll wear it fine now indoors so he's going to experience the outdoors soon which will give him even more stimulation and exercise which will be great!

I think of Enzo as a cat with a clever dogs brain, we've taught him to sit and to give paw! he's so clever, so intelligent and so loving when he wants to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One thing to consider is that it is just plain fun to watch two kittens grow up together. I have had cats my entire life and have two bengal kittens now (the first bengals for us) - one is a year old and the other 8 months - they are the best of friends and play together all of the time. Yes, cats can do fine on their own - but, well, they are just so much fun when they have companions! We also have a black and white moggie who is 7 and he gets along well with both bengals. You would be fine to add a non-bengal kitten as a friend - all kittens have a high energy level, so they would get along wonderfully.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:55 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for the replies! I'm very glad to read that a bengal can be happy living solo with his family! I think we have decided at this point to try making the kitten happy without a sibling, based simply on financial feasibility. If anything changes prior to when we pick up our little furry babe I will certainly let you all know, but I'm optimistic she will be happy in her new home! If we do see that she is unhappy, we will do whatever necessary to change that around!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:31 am 
Bengal Kitten

asonda, we have a similar environment & situation for our boy B'alam & he seems pretty well adjusted. He's 2 in October & currently spends his days in our bedroom either napping or playing with his toys. He has heaps of toys to play with in the room including balls, tunnels & a climbing post. He gets all our love & attention when we get home & is constantly "helping" with dinner & other household chores :) He likes to keep tabs on our whereabouts at all times & frets if we close the toilet door! No privacy in our house, hehe.

We're getting a little sister for him soon because I think the best parts of a cats nature really shines when there's 2 of them to play together & get upto mischief :)

Both the kittens are so gorgeous!!! I'm so excited for you, starting your adventure of Bengal parenting!!! :D