It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I am brand new to these forums so first off let me say hello to everyone! Also, I love Bengals. They are so beautiful and incredibly social feline friends! We have a 3 year old male Bengal, Neko. We just adopted a 2.5 year old female, Bella. Just brought her home yesterday and for the most part things are going okay. We own our own business and our shop is on the same property as our home. Before anyone wonders, our shop is very nice and always has someone in it until late in the evening. It has a very homey feel. Anyway, we took Bella to the shop first and let her check it out and roam around by herself for several hours. After she seemed to become comfortable there (she is very outgoing and social), I placed her in a very large cloth dog kennel and let Neko come in to check her out. While he sniffed around the kennel she would hiss at him but he didn't seem upset at all. Eventually, after they seemed comfortable, we let Bella out. She immediately wanted to play with Neko and he will have nothing to do with it. He hisses if she gets too close. Other than a little bit of hissing though, there has been no aggression from either. Neko just perches himself somewhere and watches her. For hours. He doesn't seem upset or worried at all. Again, no aggression besides a little hissing. Anyone else experience this? I have always been more of a dog person until getting Neko. This happened with my dog also when I intro a new dog. She wouldn't have anything to do with the new dog for about a week, but then they became great friends. Are cats leery of accepting new cats also?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Usually cat to cat introductions, especially those of adults, goes a little slower. Well a lot slower. It can take days to weeks.

However, seeing as you've rushed into things, I'd say things aren't terrible. If they're not killing each other and just stand off behaviour well that's okay. You've been very lucky. If you search on here, or on the internet anywhere, there is a plethora of really good information on introducing cats. I wouldn't leave them alone together however as things could escalate quite quickly.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I see you've posted here as well. Make sure you check out the topic you posted in another area of the forum.