[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Scheduled Meowing
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scheduled Meowing
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject: Re: Scheduled Meowing
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have two Bengals. Chilli hardly ever talks but Rio is like an old woman! Sometimes it can be a little "annoying" because you automatically assume that something is wrong and try to see what it is but to be honest, they just like to talk!!

Rio will meow like mad for 10 minutes before going in his litter tray! It's as if he's saying "I need the loo now" and just letting me know. He meows like mad when he wants food. Sometimes, he meows just for the hell of it and I have no idea why he is doing it.

I assume you have had him to the vet for a thorough check to make sure he isn't actually ill?

The comments above from others are spot on too

Lisa
x

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think you should have her checked out by a vet thoroughly to make sure she has no physical/medical issue first, but if she is healthy and if you are in the UK, then I would rehome her to someone who can safely let her go outdoors.
If you are in a place where going outdoors is unsafe ie lots of predators around then you need to find someone with a large house and an enclosed garden, so she has lots of space and can go outdoors safely.
I cannot agree with a cat being drugged and sedated just because its behaviour doesn't suit and fit in with our routines, and whilst some outdoor access on a leash may be suggested by some, I feel it will probably just make her worse.

I cannot suggest anything else as I can foresee your sanity being compromised over this and you may have to find new roommates constantly too.

The noise Bengals can make is, for some, unexpected, they think the Bengal trait of being "noisy" is a desirable thing, much better than the almost silent moggie.
The Bengal will "speak" to them, so what is not to like?... They envisage cat/human conversations with meowing back and forth for less than a minute, which is funny and appealing.
They envisage cutesy meowing for food or for some obvious reason, meowing that is of low decibel volume and is fine.

However, it seems many Bengals can yowl very, very loudly for long periods of time, they cannot be pacified by normal methods, thus the howling appears nonsensical and annoying. It can be crepuscular wailing, so lack of sleep for the owner, compounds the problem, especially in summer.
For anyone living in a small space with such a cat, it is tolerable for a while and then as the incessant noise becomes impossible to stand, it eats into sanity, so the only real solution is to give outdoor access, or rehoming.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you tried to figure out whether this is something she wants from you?
I know my boy meows a lot when he is hungry, thirsty(fresh water please), needs company to pee, wants cuddles/play times. He is over 2 now and I know all his meows by now. So once he gets what he wants he usually stops . there is also chatty meows too , these are just general talk talk with very long stretched meows almost signing and less demanding and I like to listen to these ones .

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh I can relate to the constant meows. That was Raiden when I took possession of him and forced him to stay indoors instead of running all over the neighborhood. He cried at the back door constantly. We built him a large enclosure on our deck that he can access 24/7. I take him for daily walks. He still cries, but it's a whole lot less. He mainly cries for attention -- when I get home from work, he wants to go outside for his walk, which we do for about an hour. He comes back in and goes in and out of his enclosure several times, but always cries when he comes inside. He wants attention, belly rubs, a massage, playtime. He has currently calmed down and is laying on the chair by my computer grooming himself. He will get back to his crying and then about dark, will settle down and go to sleep. He will sleep almost through the night but wakes me up between 3 and 5 a.m. to eat. He will be quiet until we get out of bed and then he will start crying again, and then it starts all over again. On the weekends, he cries most of the day. He wants me to play with him, to be with him. Makes it hard to get anything done until he goes down for a nap. A two-year old child is what I call him. He has a different cry when he's hungry and his food bowl is empty. And a real howl when he spots another cat in our yard.

I read up on bengals when I got him and read they were "vocal." I thought that meant they talk with you -- not howl all day long. It's just the breed!

So, I understand the exasperation you're feeling because you don't know how to change the pattern or stop it. If she's healthy and not in any pain, then this would require some type of behavior modification. Re-homing a bengal is not always easy due to them just being a totally different type of cat. You'd have to find someone who knows or has had bengals because they are a huge surprise when they don't act like a normal cat and sleep 20 hours a day in the corner of the room.

One question that has not been asked is how is your roommate toward your bengal? Cats have a sixth sense about people and they know if someone likes them or not. Did something change in the past couple of months that would have affected this behavior in your kitty? Something changed! You might want to consult with a cat behaviorist and see if they come up with something.

I know re-homing is the LAST thing you want to do. But, spraying a cat with water (especially with vinegar) is causing your cat to become terrified of you (according to Jackson Galaxy, a cat behaviorist). Cats do not understand discipline, so the punishing has to stop. I'm sure it's only making the situation with your kitty worse. I know you're frustrated. I've been there. I deal with Raiden the best that I can. I love him and could never part with him, although there are times I want to kill him. You honestly need to do what is best for your cat. Once that is accomplished, everything will be fine for you as well. It just goes hand in hand.

People have given you a lot of advice here -- it's always given with the love and respect we have for our bengals and other kitties.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:59 am 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can see it is very frustrating for you. I am going to make a suggestion which will sound wacky - but maybe you can try it?

I came across a thread similar to our own ocassional problem when our neutered boy would seriously attack his spayed sister. Sometimes, when he hadn't had enough other exercise, he would take it toooooo far and pin her down, biting her really really hard, with her screaming at the top of her voice. Only every couple of weeks or so, but disturbing. He won't be distracted by toys, he keeps going for her.

Someone on this forum has, if I recall correctly, a niece who is a vet nurse, who suggested licking two or three fingers (get them real sloppy) and firmly stroking his face, eyes, bridge of the nose. This is a similar action to what mumma cat would do when a kitten is too rumbunctious. Well, we tried it and it worked - it stopped him in his tracks, made him sober, almost embaressed and a little sulky, but he stops attacking his sister. We call the face he pulls then "But I'm not a BAAABY!!!"

We don't need to do it often, but it works as a tactic of last resort. Once my husband even just licked him all over his face with his tongue - you don't need to do it that way. But it sure did the trick. It sounds like you're at your wits' end, so just offeriung soiemthing else to try.

All the best

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do feel for you and think some shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Yes cats meow, but when a cat is meowing constantly it can be v draining. My mom has a Persian who will be 17 this year and we think she maybe geriatric being honest. She will go through phases of terrible meowing to the point my mom is in tears over it. It can be v difficult.

I second the get her checked out health wise, and I hope that the issue can be improved upon, you will get lots of helpful tips here.