[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Kitten Safe Room
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten Safe Room
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:06 am 
Bengal Cat

I have a 13 week old bengal kitten who was recently added to the house. He has been in his "Safe room" for 2 weeks now. He desperately wants out and is starting to try to sneak out whenever I open the door. HE has explored the house on several occasions, and does fairly well.

I also have my resident bengal kitten who is 19 weeks old. My older kitten is desperately trying to get into the safe room with the new kitten. We have had them together several times and it does not go too well, although it has improved over time. There is still a lot of pouncing, rolling, chasing, but hardly any hissing, growling, swatting like the initial meetings.

I want to do whatever i can to make these kittens get along! I am thinking about starting the introduction phase completely over. However, I think moving the kitten to a different "safe room" would be about the only way to do this bc of the obsession with the current safe room, but unsure if this is a big "no no." WIll is throw either kitten off if I change the "Safe room?" Again, the younger kitten is pretty adaptive and easy going with the house and us humans.

I feel like both kittens are sending signals that they really WANT to be around each other, but when they are, they don't know how to act. its a constant chase and pounce game, that doesn't always appear to be friendly.

?? :confused:

Post subject: Re: Kitten Safe Room
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's difficult to be sure - but the chase, pounce game is a normal part of kittens' play. And also how they work out how is stronger and might be dominant. Maybe they are ready to be together, but they will behave like this whilst they work the other one out. Then behave like this because it is fun!

It doesn't sound to me like the behaviour is overly aggressive or anything to worry about. They can even give a hiss to the other, as an attempt to be the leader. You say there's no hissing or growlingow, so I would let themut together. Try bringing them together when you are there to supervise, and have toys to play with them both. That will get them other things to chase/pounce on. And they should associate the presence of the other kitten with good times.

Let us know how you get on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's difficult to tell based on what you've said. Growling and hissing is usually a good sign that they need a time-out, but if there is none I think you should go by how the little one reacts. Is he afraid of the big cat? Cowering and looking to hide? Or does he bounce back and want more play? I think that should determine your gameplan and timeline. If the little one is doing ok and not afraid or distressed, and there is no hissing or growling, then I would probably give them more latitude.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 am 
Senior Bengal

Sounds like they are ready to play! Mine wrestle around and you would think they are killing each other but it's just play. They grab each other's necks with their mouths, they pounce and almost choke hold each other and kick with their feet. All really rough play but really just playing and no one ever gets hurt. I have 1 10 week old, a 6 month old and another that is a year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm 
Bengal Cat

I am so glad for the responses. In my heart I feel like they are ready to play bc the hissing, growling, swatting has completely stopped. But I was and still am nervous bc I think I rushed the introductions in the first place so I want to be very careful I'm not moving too fast. Also, I am nervous to let them do this chase, pounce, rolling, biting, kicking each other because the little kitten is a month younger than the older kitten and obviously smaller and not as strong. Despite this, the smaller kitten is the first one to run and Pounce and take down my big kitten. He is not shy whatsoever. The older kitten is more skiddish, but will always "fight/play" back with him. The older kitten has always been more skiddish even when we first got him, he had a much harder time adjusting compared to the new kitten. As soon as the rolling ends, the little guy hops right back in for more. Sometimes the older kitten is leading the chase, but he definitely gets chased too. From what I've read this is a sign of playing vs fighting.

Any thoughts on continuing this supervised play or waiting til the kitten gets a little bigger to protect himself in case things get too rough? All of this supervised "play" happens in the kittens safe room, even when the door is open the stay in the safe room running and doing laps tackling each other. They play together anywhere from a few minutes to an hour session with neither kitten ever wearing out, aka licking each other and falling asleep which is what I picture in my head. Probably unrealistic I'm sure.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Two weeks should be ample time to start introducing them. Even if you just give them a few minutes together. Bengals do like companionship .... and I'm sure they will get along once they are accustom to each other.They may not like each other in the beginning. Cats are territorial! But as long as they aren't aggressive toward one another and you are there to supervise them until they start snuggling together, you should probably give them some time together.

You might want to start with feeding them in the same room, sort of close to each other and see how they do there. They each need to know the other is not a threat to them. If you're able to have someone with you to engage each of them in play in the same area. They may start interacting with each other.

I think you may be overthinking this ..... so stop worrying so much. Just takes time and patience and I know this will work out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:48 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thank you all. I truly appreciate the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I usually like to give them supervised play time in a room new to the new cat. That way the new cat can explore and the other cat can just watch. You can give them a half hour or so together and then separate a few times a day until they are getting along ok. Then open it up to more of the house and more time together. Most of the time the cat friendship builds when we aren't around to distract them. If they are playing together and neither is getting vicious, you are doing well! Shared meal times and play time is always good. It sounds like you are taking your time and giving them time too, which is exactly what they need!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 am 
Bengal Cat

My babies are best friends.... thanks to the advice and reassurance from this blog! thank you again. As soon as i figure out how to post pics i will post some of the sweetest cuddling bengals you've ever seen! :) :)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's great news!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

See, you were so worried over nothing. Your kitties worked it all out! Glad you're all one big happy family now. Congratulations!!!