[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - New Bengal Hiding. Advice?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I recently brought home two bengal kittens. They both of are about 7 months old (one male/one female). I have them confined to a bedroom/bathroom in my home. Although we have only had them for six days, I am a little concerned about the female. At first she was the more social kitten, but the past couple of days she has been in hiding and any type of sound seems to get her concerned. The male seems to be comfortable. He is always laying on the floor, cat tree, or chair and is very affectionate. I'm not concerned with him. I am however concerned about his sister. She will eat, drink, and use the litter box without any problems, but she will often just run back to hiding. On occasion, she will come out of hiding if you pay attention to her while she is hiding. She will purr a little bit, play some, and then run back and hide. I have been in the room chatting with my wife so that she can recognize our voices, but I'm not sure if it is helping. When I am not home, I have the radio on a low setting to create some background noise.

I had figured since her brother is out and about it would help show her that we are not a threat. I know that they have not been at the house long and maybe I am a little off base, but I just wanted to get some input if there was anything else that I could be doing to help her adapt to the new home. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would try and interact with her with the brother not being around. He may be startling her and with him getting the "aws, cheers, attention" from you guys, it may be making her nervous. (maybe have one of you take the boy to another room to explore for 20 minutes while the other plays with the girl).

Have you had them to the vet? If there is a medical issue going on, cats will hide and be very shy.

She could just have a shy personality or be especially weary of new people. I would try some alone time just with her to help build a bond. Try reinforcing human interaction with playtime and treats. Does she like to be petted?

One of my cats is a super shy guy and finally starting jumping on the couch for cuddle this year. He is 4. Sometimes it takes a while... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's only been six days. This is a big change for both cats and not all cats will adjust equally. These are siblings who should be used to being together. If I had a scaredy cat, I'd spend some time being near it, talking, trying to engage her in play. Not be overbearing because that will just put her off even more. Patience is what is needed. I'm sure she'll come around and be just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:10 am 
Bengal Cat

Our new 2 year old boy spent the best part of 2 weeks in hiding after we brought him home. When we had him in the bathroom he was hiding in his box and when we introduced him to the lounge he was hiding under the sofa.

We made a habit of sitting down by the sofa, putting on the telly and just talking to each other whilst occasionally calling him. Luring him with toys had the most positive effect for us but it DID take time and patience.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:19 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the tips. We have been present in the room, talking to the cats. The female now seems to be getting more comfortable. She is out of hiding more often, playing with toys and her brother. I think the high winds we recently have had put her on guard. Things seem to be moving forward. Thanks again.