[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Scared Bengal
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:55 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Iam New to this forrum,
Here is my situation,,
I got a female Bengal in August she was 15 weeks at the time we got her,when we brought her home
all she wanted to do was run and hide and growl and hiss at us...
it is now 5 months later and she still runs and hides from us :(
At one point a couple of months ago I had her to the point where I could go into the room she was in at the time and she would let me pet her and even purr..it was short lived.I took her to the vet to be spayed
she had some kind of reaction to the meds and her lungs collasped....they had to bring her right back out and could not spay her....
now 2 months later she still seems as if she hates me!!
Come to find out the Breeded we got her from had left her in a room with other cats until it was time to come home to us...
What I want to know is if We have any hope at all of her coming around and wanting to be a part of our family with us...she gets along great with my other 2 domestic cats...they cant figure out why she wont come to me to get her share of petting and loving lol
We were really interesting in getting another Bengal at some point...now Im having second thoughts...are they all like this...I would never give her up I love her WAY to much...
any suggestions on how to make her happier??
Thx...Angel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:47 am 
Bengal Kitten

It is not normal for a well socialized Bengal to not like human company. I just got my Bengal kitten just over a week ago and he is very friendly. All the breeder's cats were very friendly. One was even giving me kisses thru the cage door. The breeder you got your Bengal from did not socialize the kitten so she is scared of humans. I would take it very slow with her. Try feeding her out of your hand or playing with her. Don't try to pet her or pick her up until she comes to you. Make slow movements and sit on the floor with her. Let her come to you. Most likely because of her age she may not become a super cuddly cat, but there is still hope. Do not let this scare you out of getting another Bengal,just look for a breeder that has socialized the kittens. Do not be afraid to ask how the kittens were raised. Good luck-I am sure you can win her heart over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:48 pm 
The Real Boss

Hi Angel

Don't worry too much, you will be able to prevent the running off and hissing and you should be able to win her confidence back although by the sounds of things she's always going to be a timid cat.

It does take time and you really will have to be patient with her. We always have a pack of wafer thin chicken in the fridge for our girls and we feed it to them as a treat, they love it. As Bullit says, try feeding her treats; meat treats are best chicken & ham as they are so irresistible. Let her see you put a small piece on the floor and then walk away so she can eat it confidently, try this for a few days and then gradually see if she will eat out of your had with your arm stretched away from your body, try kneeling down so that you look less threatening to her. Once you have accomplished this you've got the ball rolling. NEVER make quick moves or try to pick her up whilst you are treating her, this will destroy your hard work and you'll probably lose her confidence again.

Eventually you should find that she will associate the fridge door opening with getting a nice meat treat (our girls do :) ) and she will start coming to you for the treat. Once she is eating out of you hand try sitting in a chair and trying to get her eating whilst she's in your lap, once she?s confident with this try petting her at the same time just be sure not to over do the petting and as soon as she backs off, stop doing what ever it is that's startled her.

Another way to gain confidence is grooming with a SOFT brush. I wouldn't suggest doing this until you have won her over with the meat treats, but when you get to the stage where she's eating whilst sat near you, try brushing her. Just try on the top of the head and along her back (any where else will be to intrusive) just a couple of stokes at a time until she starts to realise that?s it's nice and not scary.

Finally, try playing games with her; a mouse on elastic on the end of a stick keeps our girls entertained for hours!

It will take time and it will be difficult having two other cats in the house because she will have less need for human attention but DO persevere, it's well worth it. Try and involve the other cats too, that way she will see that if they aren't scared then she shouldn't be either.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Regards
Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:16 pm 
The Boss

All the best advice has already been given, It's just going to take time and maybe a bit more time.....But <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>please</span>, <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>please</span> never give up on her.....she's just had a frightning time as a young kitten, It's just the same with humans who have had problems in their early years.

She will grow to trust you and your partner in the end for sure!

Every kitten is different when adjusting to a new home, One of ours wouldn't leave our bedroom for about a week....But on the other hand our other girl wanted out on the very first night home....

As you've already said that you almost had her trust until the dreaded vet visit.....so that just goes to prove she will be ok in the end.....Just offer her as much love as you can (on her terms ofcourse) and also try for one on one playtimes in a room where you really know she feels safe and secure.....I would try to make sure that the other cats in the house aren't around so she won't get distracted from distinguishing fun from fear.

And if you need any more help or advice no matter how trivial you may feel it is.....Just contact anyone on these forums, I can only comment for myself and Heidi when I say that we live and breathe for bengals, But I'm sure all the others on this forum will also put their names to that comment too!

Please keep us all informed on how she gets on.....This is a subject that is very close to our hearts and a big reason as to why we have become breeders ourselves.

I just can't believe why some breeders only care about the money and not the future welfare of their kittens, Have they never cared about their animals or just forgotten their reason behind breeding :angry: .....It's just fortunate that there is people out there like yourselves who will give them the love and devotion that they need to survive! ;)

Warmest Regards
Luke

p.s We would love to see some photos of her if you have the time to post them on here! ;)

p.p.s The best toy of all to get bengals playing is the good old paper ball.....It never fails.....They just can't resist it even if they're feeling grumpy! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:58 pm 
The only time I've heard of a Bengal being timid like this and it being normal is when they are close in generation to an Asian Leopard Cat, normally a direct descendant will behave in this way and be scared of humans. Doesn't sound like this is the case here though, sounds like it has just been frightened as a kitten and you need to follow the good advice above and gradually get its confidence.

Bengals are usually far from timid, in fact they are dog like in nature, it is impossible to move around the house without being followed and in the case of our two, they will even open doors to see what you are up to B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:12 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Wow well ty all very much for the responses...No I would never give up on her...I love her way tooo much
she will now eat treats from me ..again...and once in a blue moon if she is sleeping on the bed I can walk up to her and pet her...forget picking her up or trying to catch her..someone once told me about force petting so I tried and did catch her ..she layed very still and let me pet her..she just closed her eyes...I felt so guilty that I had to let her go
I posted a couple pictures of Midori..not sure if I did it right or not but I tried lol
Terri ..angel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Terri -
I have two bengal girls who are shy - and a brother/sister pair of siblings that are the EXACT opposite.

I have had my "shy" girls for one year. One of the girls wouldn't let me touch her at ALL when I first got her -- but slowly, being "tempted" with boiled chicken and VERY consistently with interactive feather toys... she has finally bonded with me. She STILL doesn't like to be picked up -- but LOVES to be "petted" now. She sleeps with me EVERY night, and "grooms" my fingers -- by licking them and nibbling my fingernail edges. It is just the CUTEST thing!

The other girl sleeps at the foot of my bed, and HAS to be in whatever room I'm in - but will only occasionally "give in" and allow me to stroke her, gently.

BOTH of them come running when I open the fridge - because they have learned that in the evenings, I give them boiled chicken, or rare beef treats - and they MUST come and at least STAND in my lap, to get a bite :) Actually the one the breeder was MOST concerned might not bond, will practically take food from my MOUTH, if I'm not careful... she has actually tried to bite the opposite side of a turkey sandwich I was eating, once :D

I hate to disagree with whoever said brush just her HEAD... My girls will allow me to brush THEM from the shoulders down - but RUN if I try to brush their heads... it depends on the cat, I suppose. I bought a "baby brush" which is VERY soft, and Victoria will let me brush her whole body, including her tummy -- but doesn't want it on her HEAD. LOL

My girls ARE very early generation SBT (I think they are the equivalent of F4 or F5) - and the breeder I got them from is normally just GREAT about socializing her kittens, but these two were EXTREMELY SHY - even with her. She had kept them an extra long time, TRYING to socialize them, but was having poor luck with them - and was actively seeking a PET owner, who would take time with them, and BE PATIENT. She DID WARN me how shy these girls were. She gave me a wonderful deal on them, because she wanted to find someone who would NOT give up on them, and allow them the space to be WHO they are.

I ADORE them both - and sometimes even go to bed "early" just so they will come join me for THEIR evening "lovies".

Then the other two are "SUPER FRIENDLY" -- curious -- and NEVER meet a stranger.
In some ways that is worrisome - because Dagger even climbed up on my cable installer's knees, while he was installing my cable, recently. LOL It makes me afraid he would just "go with" ANY stranger - and I would DIE if someone stole him. (and YES my cats are ALL totally indoors - but my son has guests, and Dagger NEVER meets a "stranger") Emma is a little more cautious with strangers -- but a snuggle bug, too.

I believe SOME of the shyness IS genetic - and other times poor socialization. BUT --
IF you don't give up on her, I, as a pet owner (not breeder) with 4 Bengals and 5 DSH rescues, can ASSURE you -- the liklihood that she will eventually BOND with YOU, if you are patient -- is VERY HIGH.

I know you MUST adore her. (I peeked at her photo) She is lovely!

And, if you ever need any encouragement, I will "try" to respond quickly. (Honestly, I spend SO much time with my CATS - that I'm not on here as much as I used to be.) (grin)

Do NOT get discouraged. And don't hesitate to look at other Bengal kittens. They are NOT all shy... and if you work with a breeder, and let them KNOW how important that you have a "in your face" kitty, next time... I'm sure you will find a breeder that will help you select a kitten with strong "need mommy love" traits :)

Best wishes and
Warm Fuzzies --
LaVon
'fancidots"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Well it has been a while since i have been here....the good news is that for the last month or so I have been giving all my cats treats before bed time and midori will now come up on the bed and actually take treats from my hand!!! this is a big improvment..lol Iam so excited lol
She still dont like to be picked up or touched at all...but in the day time she sleeps in the living room if i am in there...and now even sometimes at night when everyone is home she will sleep in the next room so that she can see me...so hopefully in time she will get closer.

Now she is in heat ugggg she is nine months old
can she be spayed while in heat??
I know I know I should have had her done..
but to be honest Iam very scared to take her...I had her to be spayed before xmas and she almost died
with an allergic reaction to the meds and had to be brought out of the surgery without being spayed!
so I guess I was just putting it off...I have a tom cat who is not fixed and he is locked in a room hen he is inside...so I need to know if anyone has had their Bengal fixed while in heat...and if it will cause any kind of setback in them?
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:58 pm 
The Boss

I don't think your vet will do it until shes finished her cycle.....There probably some medical reason behind it!

Anyways it's great to hear she's improving.....With more time hopefully she bond a little more to you and your partner. :P

Well done and Keep it up the good work with her! ;)