[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal Behaviour: Spraying Issues.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Maddy,
Thanks for your advice; I think we're pretty much decided this is that path we'll take.
Cheers,
Julia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Maddy,
I've read info regarding companions for Bengals; are we better getting a male, neutered domestic 'moggy' that may calm her down rather than another Bengal?
Thanks,
Julia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is nice to hear that you have taken our advice onboard.

I would second Maddy with regards to a male kitten as that is the most commonly recommended companion/paring for a girl cat. I actually find my girls more accomodating than my boys but i think mine are not the norm! I agree with Maddy about finding one that matches to level of activity of bengals if another bengal is not for you. I have Tonks and Bengals and they go together well.

It will always be a bit of a risk bringing in another cat but your girl is still young so will accept a kitten very well.

If your only wish to breed was to have a companion for your girl then ignore this, but if you really are interested in breeding get out to a few cat shows and talk to other breeders. The GCCF and TICA websites have lists of shows. There are sure to be some near you. Spend some time getting to know the breed and find a mentor willing to help you.

You are very welcome to post some piccies of your girl in the gallery :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks both of you, I will investigate 'Tonks' as I'm not familiar with them. I tend to agree re getting a similar breed as I think she'd run rings around a normal cat!
I've uploaded 3 pics of when she was about 5 months old, I've had to make them smaller to fit so I'm sure sure how great the quality will be.
We adore her, Bengals certainly aren't low maintenance cats but Sookie has the most amazing personality, we wouldn't be without her!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She is very cute indeed.

When i got my first Tonk, i knew nothing about them at all. I had enquired about a burmese! I was told that Tonks are very different from normal cats... i thought 'yeah right' cats are cats!! How wrong was i, Evie ran rings round me from day 1!!!!

Happy hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Lollo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Our female snow bengal also likes to spray everywhere.. We had her spayed when she was under the age of 1 because she just wasn't getting pregnant by any of the cats we took her to. she is now 3 years old but she often pee's against the chair , under the table or near her scratch pad. we have got another bengal cat but they usually get along and they play outside together. there is 2 litterboxes in the house that are often scooped and cleaned but she doesnt always use the litterbox , she only uses it sometimes and other times she will pee in the house. She did stop her peeing habit for about a month but we were re decorating and moving furniture around recently , so is this what caused her to start peeing everywhere again? Also when the re-decorating started in the bedroom , she would often go up there and growl and hiss , even if your not touching her. she sounds like a dog growling. we dont know what to do , if she keeps peeing everywhere we'll have to get rid of her :( :( :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:20 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there, great board and some fantastic tips.

We have just rehoused a pair of one year old Bengal brothers, their previous owners children, developed allergys.

We have had them two weeks.

The bigger of the two, Gilbert, has taken to spraying on the sofa, his younger brother is happy to use either of the two litter trays we have for them (in separate rooms). I used the urine off on the sofa, and even though it's been only 24 hours, it seems to have worked.

However, he's also just sprayed on our bed, while we were out. I took the quilt and sheets off the bed, treated them, and replaced them with our spare sheets and quilt - while the wet ones went for a wash. So there could not have been a trace of scent from the new bedding, however...

We got into bed, and Gilbert jumped up, in between us, and started to wee. I picked him up and took him out of the room.

I'm a little worried we gave them the run of the house too soon. We gave them 24 hours in one room,with eir food and litter, but they showed such curiosity about wanting to explore, we let them have the run of the house (except for one bedroom) their food is now downstairs in the kitchen, their litter upstairs in the small WC room (not the main bathroom) - they run and play and jump and 'fight' chase their toys, come when their food bowls are rattled, and seem very happy.

I do have some cat nip in the house, which I'll remove tonight.
also, the neighbours cats have been nosing around in the back garden.

They have also just been to the vet, before we picked them up, and we're given the all clear.

Is it too late to restrict them back to one room?
How soon after eating and drinking will they go to the litter tray?
How much water should I leave for them ( I currently use a water dispenser that gives them all the water they want)
what treats should I have to hand to reward good behaviour ?

I love both my new boys, more than I thought I would after a week, and can't bear to think they are stressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You have not told us one very important thing: are they neutered? If not...why not?
Spraying is a normal behaviour for an uneutered cat and he WILL do it! But I'm assuming you know that and he is neutered and if the vet gave you all clear, it's not health related.
Have you talked to the previous owners? Did he have this problem at their house?
IMO I think it's stress related and he might not yet be comfortable enough. Also, try to put a litter in your bedroom for a while, see if he uses that (the litter might be just too far away, and the bed's nicer and closer).
It might also be teritorial if you say the neighbours cats are nosing around. Can he see them? Have you noticed how he reacts?
In regards to going to the litter after eating/drinking, I don't think there's an all around valid answer, it really depends on the cat. Mine will sometimes go just after eating, or after 5 hours. Sometimes I clean his litter and he walks by and is all "Hm, oh yeah, I could use that" and jumps in and pees. With kittens it's a bit more predictable because they can't hold it that long.
They should have water at all times, unrestricted.
You can try again to confine them to a room, but make sure they don't feel like they are locked away.
Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Suki, yes they are neutered and no the previous owners didn't have this problem.

I am happy to report that we came home from work to a dry house! So I gave them a little treat and some play time.

As for their reaction to the neighbours cats (another Bengal and two abyssinians) it seems like curiosity - noses pressed to the glass doors, no hissing or back arching.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Lollo,

I'm a glass half full sort of guy, so I don't think the previous owner had a problem! She bought them from the breeder, who we are in contact with (he set up the rescue), we were also the second family who answered their call, the first family, the cats didn't like at their first visit - we obviouslly impress at cat interviews.

[smelly bit] Their stools are solid, , smooth, and very nearly a small handful per cat, and they seem to go about twice a day. I'll introduce a second tray downstairs [/smelly bit]

I'll book a vet visit this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like the owners were responsible especially if the breeder was involved. You would be surprised how many people aren't though!

Hope that sorts the problem out. Fingers crossed for you.

from the owner of owner of Maxip!ss, so known because of his habit of wee'ing on things :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next