It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:15 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,
I am about to get a stray Bengal from my local animal shelter and wondering if anyone has any advise...

He is a year and a half old. He has been through two homes - the first home had young children (that I was told terrorized him) so he began scratching furniture. THe owners decided to declaw him and he became even more stressed so they gave him away. He ended up in a household with another cat and that stressed him too so he was given to the shelter.

I live alone and had a wonderful cat (not a bengal but another stray) for 9 years until he passed away last spring. I would be able to give this stray Bengal all my love and attention... I am wondering if his history could be warning signs of bad behaviour or maybe he just needs a good home? Anyone have any thoughts?

He seems very friendly and kind when I visit him in the shelter but he seemed a bit stressed there. They had him in an isolation room and he was constantly trying to escape. He also went to the bathroom on the carpet. I read somewhere that cats that have been declawed have problems with that...

My last cat was a stray and he was challenging for the first couple of months and then turned into the most amazing cat - he would follow me for walks to the beach and hang out all day (among many other special traits). I feel like I would be a great parent to another cat, I'm just worried that this Bengal might be behaviourally challenged?

If anyone has any thoughts, experience or feedback, I would so greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks,
Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I think the past two homes were obviously not right for him. What a shame he is declawed.

I think if he is kind and friendly in the shelter then he probably has no problems that a good home cannot sort out. He sounds as if he has been through hell and back in his eyes and probably mine as well. Taken from his mother and brothers and sisters, terrorised by monsters (small children), and other cats, had his nails ripped out and moved home three times, if that was a person their stress level would be through the roof and I don't think that they would be 'kind and friendly' in the circumstances. He sounds like a special cat.
I think the toilet issue is probably due to him feeling insecure. After he is settled at yours, the constant trying to escape will probably stop, once he starts to recognise that he is actually safe, not something he is used to by the sounds of things.
You seem to have previous knowledge of dealing with shelter cats and their issues so I think you are eminently suitable to give him a home he deserves.

A word of advice, though if you are looking to replace your previous cat with a similar version then it may not work out, the new cat may not do the things your last cat did but I am sure he will have endearing little traits of his own if you give him the chance.

Elsa

Post subject: Best of Luck!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:35 am 
Bengal Kitten

As a member of a Bengal rescue network I've dealt with this many times. Bengals are high energy cats and when confronted with an adverse situation they will respond with high energy. Tearing up couches, pushing things off shelves, that sort of thing.

On the positive side, they are very resliant with proper care. I'd provide the standard advice. For the first 3 days to a week give him his own space. A spare bathroom works for many. Really try to resist the temptation to "love" him too much at this point. Slowly introduce yourself in a way he can trust, but not for long periods. After that, let him explore the house. Don't follow him around. He's trying to find a "safe haven" and if you're there he'll question it. Only when the Bengal feels safe will he relax and completely trust you.

With Bengals it's also a good idea to get another cat if you are gone for long periods (i.e., work). Bored Bengals tend to "do things." I have more stories than you'd ever like to hear...

Congrats on the new member of the family!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 am 
Bengal Kitten

As a member of a Bengal rescue network I've dealt with this many times. Bengals are high energy cats and when confronted with an adverse situation they will respond with high energy. Tearing up couches, pushing things off shelves, that sort of thing.

On the positive side, they are very resliant with proper care. I'd provide the standard advice. For the first 3 days to a week give him his own space. A spare bathroom works for many. Really try to resist the temptation to "love" him too much at this point. Slowly introduce yourself in a way he can trust, but not for long periods. After that, let him explore the house. Don't follow him around. He's trying to find a "safe haven" and if you're there he'll question it. Only when the Bengal feels safe will he relax and completely trust you.

With Bengals it's also a good idea to get another cat if you are gone for long periods (i.e., work). Bored Bengals tend to "do things." I have more stories than you'd ever like to hear...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:48 am 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject: Thanks for the reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:59 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,
Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.

I was told he doesnt like other cats (he likes to be the center of attention) but I do work 40 hours a week. I'm hoping he'll nap lots during the day and that I can play with him when I am at home.

I am also hoping to leash train him so we can go on walks (I live in Whistler, BC, a ski-resort in Canada, so many beautiful trails outside my home).

He is already really affectionate (even in the isolation room at the shelter) so I really think in the right environment this guy will come around :)

I'll keep you posted!! (his name is Fonzi)

Thanks again for your reply,
Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Haha, they do like being the center of attention!! I just wanted to say that the same goes for my bengal, but he gets along with my two girls. Well, for the most part... he does terrorize them a bit. :oops: