It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Litter Locker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 pm 
Hello all,

Pets at Home have just opened a new branch near where I work and at the moment they are offering a free litter locker (the new model) with any two bags of cat litter over £4.75 each (or something like that - I bought two huge bags!)

If you don't have one of these already I think they're quite a handy thing to have! I presume that this offer isn't just for my local branch - the staff were saying they've opened over 20 branches since Christmas - whatever their faults (I don't like the bunny/guinea pig supermarket thing as I think it's quite a stressful environment to keep live animals in) - they do some good special offers if you have two hungry mouths to feed :-)

Regards

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just got a litter locker yesterday and I'm having a bit of a challenge with it. I'm following the instructions to knot and hook the plastic tube into the mechanism. It works for a couple of turns, but then the plastic rips and all its "locked" contents end up inside the housing, which is a mess to clean up. Are there any tricks to it? I don't think I had it too full, only a couple of clumps and maybe 3-4 turns of the handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was wondering about litter lockers. I was going to get one, but I wasn't sure if they worked....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm giving it another try to see if it was maybe just bad luck on my first day of using it. If the plastic rips frequently though, it promises to create an even bigger mess to clean up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:15 pm 
Hi, are you using the new design litter locker (it's tall and quite square in shape) or the original one (which has a big grey "wheel" on the side to turn it? I have to admit I haven't started using the new design one yet as I still have a couple of canisters of the plastic roll left for my old one. I've only found that the plastic rips on that model if the knotted end is attached the wrong way round to the wheel so the bag doesn't wrap around properly.

I think litter lockers are quite useful and are more hygienic than scooping poops straight into a bag to then dispose of - it's all self-contained. However, in warmer weather they definitely need emptying more often normal so that they don't attract flies (which can clearly smell things even through plastic!)

Best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it's the new design. Seems to be this one. I've read some reviews online and it seems the ripping plastic is a common problem also for other people, though most of the reviews are very positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:16 am 
Hi, me again!

That is what I would call the original litter locker - the one I got free with litter was called Litter Locker 2 or something like that - it's a lot smaller in floorspace it takes up, but a bit taller.

I haven't really had any problems with my original one though - only swapping as I thought the old one was discontinued and I might have trouble getting refills!

I'll try and find a photo of it - most websites are still selling the old one by the look of it though.

Best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, if the bag doesn't rip, it works great. I guess I was just either unlucky or clumsy with my first try. But I've already needed a refill and those aren't cheap. It could get a little expensive in the long run, but it certainly cuts down the bad smells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like the same idea as the nappy bins you can buy, you turn a handle and a bag locks away the soiled nappy.
Hmmm...i was thinking this was some kind of cat-portaloo. Darn it!! :lol:

To be honest, i prefer to just chuck it in a poop scoop bag and then it goes straight in the bin outside. I use a bit of disinfectant as and when needed. Cheaper, too! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We saw the Litter Locker 2 in Pets At Home today for £9.99 plus two free refills. I wanted to get one but OH is skeptical and needs convincing.

Does anyone know how long a refill lasts? Does it really make it easier, less smelly etc?

His not convinced that it's not just a gadget. We live in a flat and we empty our clumps each day into a scented bin liner tie it up and pop it in our normal bin. Is this not the same principle but mechanised?

I'd be really interested to hear from those that do have one and what the running costs would be like based on having two Bengals.

Cheers, Gem x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 am 
Hi,

I have two boys and a refill lasts me about a month I guess? I think it does help, as there's no risk of handling poop - but I honestly can't say whether it's better than scented bin liners! I guess it's just not having to go to the outside bin once or twice a day. As long as you empty the used part (about once a week in summer, but maybe less often in colder weather) then there's no smell. Refills for the original version are about £5 I think - not sure how much the new ones are.

Ideally of course I'd have no litter tray in the house at all, but I need to find some way of knocking a hole in the wall to insert a catflap (can't put one in the door) :roll:

Anyone got a very large drill?!

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:33 pm 
we had a litter locker, but ended up throwing it out in the skip, as it turned out to be more hassle that it was worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We took the plunge and bought a Litter Locker 2 on Friday and I have to say so far so good! Stops the stink in the bin and makes it so much easier to scoop the poop :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 pm 
I would recommend litter lockers to busy cat owners. With the number of litter trays we have, it's much easier to take the locker to the tray than take the tray to the toilet - or take a bag to the tray. I can't think of an easier way to clean up the poo and wee clumps.

But it certainly is expensive to run litter lockers for a dozen cats! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We've had ours a while now and we are so pleased we got one it's fantastic would reccommend it to anyone.