It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Bengal Kitten....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Right, basically, after trawling through photos and information on different breeds of cat I decided to go ahead and purchase a Bengal as they seemed best suited to my family as I have very outgoing young children etc.

I hunted for ages to find my special little kitten (that was in my price range!!) and was amazed to come across a woman in Bristol selling her last male FULL Bengal Kitten for .... £60, she assured me he was definitely pure so I went to see him, and bless him when I got there he was the runt :( although I was informed that theres no such thing as a runt as most "runts" grow up to be very beautiful, strong and a good size.

Anyway, he was VERY underweight for 13 weeks, and, to be honest, the 5 week old BSH kittens she had were plumper than him! Taking pity on the poor baby I bought him regardless and brought him home to my family to try and give him a fighting chance and fatten him up a bit, with the view of "Oh well if he isn't pure then at least I haven't paid £400+ for him".

Now the only reason that crossed my mind is because of his markings, he has a white spotty belly like a bengal, big pointy ears, but he's spotty and stripey... I've looked at LOTS of photos Bengals but never seen one with markings such as his, he has stripes coming up from under his belly, which stop roughly half way up his side and turn into spots, he has two stripes coming from the top and bottom of his eyes that go into a point at the end (which I've seen on a photo of a striped bengal before) and he has the "gliitter" effect all from the back of his head down to what is suppose would be classed as the "scruff" of his neck, exactly as described on other websites, like the fur has been dipped in a sandy gold colour at the tip. His markings haven't fully developed yet (I think) because he's still loosing his fluffiness (is it normal for him to have been fluffy and now begin to look a bit sleeker?)

To be honest, despite all my reading I really don't have much of a clue, but does he sound pure bengal at all? As I havent seen stripes and spots on a bengal before (except of course on the legs, and down the centre of the head between the ears, which is what he has also), or do I just have one with unusual markings or will they look less like stripes and more like spots when his fur gets sleeker?

Sorry for my ramblings, I hope it makes sense?

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:25 pm 
Have you a photo of him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:17 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Just managed to get a few of him, they're not brilliant as he's bloody fast!!! Hope you can understand what I meant from the photos though :?

Sorry about the poor picture quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

These large stripes are what are called rib bars and he has two very prominent ones on both sides. He does seem to be very fuzzy.

It may be just be the photos, he may be a full Bengal but he may also just be a spotted tabby cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

his face sure looks pure bengal, how old is he? he surely is still in the fuzzy stage, which usually disappears around 12 - 14 weeks old approx, mine were still little fuzzy down their spines at 13 weeks,

you will know if he is full bengal as you would have received a copy of three generation of his family. and also a contract to say when he is neutered he will get his pedigree papers. On top of all that, if the breeder was genuine, she would have offered a kitten pack and 6 weeks free pet plan insurance.

more pics please, we love looking at them in the gallery section.

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 am 
Bengal Kitten

I didn't recieve information of his ancestry because she didn't want to register him, my mum and I think that was maybe because of the poor condition he was in, he was so skinny you could feel every bone in hes body, and has only just got over a nasty bought of diarrhea :( I did see both parents however, and I think his face definately indicates he may be pure.

He's 13 weeks, he was fluffy all over but now most of it is down his spine, with only a little fluff everywhere else.

I'll catch him off guard and take some more photos :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

He is absolutely gorgeous, whether full bengal or not. Im sure you will have loads of fun with him :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here are mitzy and daisy at 10 weeks, still with the breeder,
And at home at 13 weeks,

They are little monsters now...but wouldnt part with them at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:53 am 
Bengal Kitten

My goodness, they're beautiful, and twice the size of Ninja!
What beautiful markings!
Ninja has just started clearing his bowl at meal times, I currently have him on breakfast lunch and dinner to try and build up his weight. He's on Royal Canin Babycat, but i think I may put him up to Kitten food now that he's managing with that ok, he was on whiskas wet food :roll: so to supplement that meat he has cooked chicken or tuna at dinner time with some dry food. Any tips on how else I can build him up to get him to the size he should be? I very much doubt he'll be able to have his jabs at the weight he is now :( poor things so much smaller than your two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww he looks so cute...
I personally think you have a 'normal Tabby moggie'
He doesn't look 13 weeks old either...
more like 7 weeks..
Like you say. at least you will love him no matter what and he didnt cost a fortune..
enjoy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww, congratulations on your new baby, he's so sweet :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

i have been working very hard to build goblin up as he was always a small little man due to some persistant tummy probs (which thankfully seem to be on the way to being fixed now thanks to my magic new vet lady),

i would suggest still having this little guy on 4 small meals a day and dry to nibble on,
i would also suggest gettin a full "poop" test from your vet to check for parasites etc. as this can make it much harder to build them up. chances are if this person is selling kittens for £60 she is unlikely to have ensured that the mum and dad are clean.

also if you have mentioned that the little one is just recovering from a bad tummy, this could suggest infection, worms, or a heap of other things that reduce his ability to absorb nutrients...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

other than the Bengals we have always taken new feline members to the vets to get checked over, for the reasons already mentioned. Our Mitzy was the smallest of the litter thats why i actually chose her. cat injections as far as i know goes by age not cat weight. normally a 13 week old bengal would be sold already having the injections. Looks like your £60 kitten is going to cost a little more, our best advice is to make an appointment at the vets and budget for around £80 by the time they add all their bits on, consultation approx £22, worming, frontline, poop tests and injections. It all adds up.

Best of luck and dont forget, photos.....and lots of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's a lovely little fella - gorgeous cute face :lol:

He's not likely to be full bengal IMHO, more likely to be part bengal or a spotted tabby, either way he's your lovely little furbaby.

I'd definately take him to the vets for a full check up and to get his injections etc. They may have a better idea of exactly how old he is. The first round of injections (which aren't all done at the same time) cost about £70 then there is worming and neutering. Many vets do it as a package though which is slightly cheaper and you can pay in installments.

Good luck with your lovely boy and have fun :lol:

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

£70 FOR VACCINATIONS????

where are you taking your little ones?

my vet charged £22 for vacs!