It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: silly question . . . ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

this might be a silly question, but how often should kittens/young cats pee in a day? I took Méabh to the vets today for a check up, and forgot to ask. She seems absolutely fine, but is only peeing once in the morning, and once at night. Is this normal ?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's an interesting question - I don't know the answer to be honest. Dolly goes outside now so I can't really tell but I don't think it was more than 2 or 3 times a day when she was using a litter tray. My 3 moggy kittens on the otherhand seem to pee non-stop, especially Samson who's got a bladder the size of a bucket :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

thanks Ginny - I think I'm becoming obsessive with her bladder habits (it's only been 2 days, but already I worry about urine problems - crystals etc) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just had a quick look at a few websites and they says that many cats only urinate once a day, but mostly it's 2 or 3 times a day so I don't think you've got anything to worry about on that score :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats can hang on all day without using to toilet (litter tray) I used to work 12 hours a day and never even thought about getting a tray for my moggie i had years ago, until she turned around 12 and had an accident then i realised it was a little to long to leave her,. Generally, cats can hang on they just sleep alot.

We travelled 4 1/2 hours with Zeus and Hestia and Zeus hadnt been all day. He never went for at least a day after that too.

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Linden generally goes twice a day - one in the morning sometime and one before we go to bed. The only times she wees more frequently is if we accidentally leave the bedroom door open during the day and she sees her chance to pee on the bed!! She has to be supervised when in that room.

We have two litter trays in the main bathroom of the house that she can get to all day, and another two litter trays in the ensuite attached to the bedroom that she uses when supervised. She likes to be "taken to the toilet" - like a two year old human child... She will meow until one of us goes with her to the bathroom. With this habit, I'm glad it's only twice a day (otherwise I'd be spending the entire day waiting on a bengal to have a wee!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 am 
Bengal Kitten

My kitten Eira likes company too!
So she usually goes in the morning when I'm in the bathroom (the litter tray is in there too), and then waits for me to come home in the afternoon...
And if I'm not actually in the bathroom when she goes, she'll meow loudly to make sure I know what she's doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

thanks everyone - it is really interesting, this is the first cat I've had, and it's a whole new world to me!! I love the idea of your cats being 'taken' like two year olds, and meowing loudly to let you know what they're doing!! Someone on the forum the other day said there are dogs, and cats, and then there are Bengals. I'm sure this is right :D I'm surprisingly besotted already, and relieved (sorry) by the fact that she's normal in the toilet department! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

goblin doesnt need "company" but he always makes an extra special effort to come and share in the experience of shoveling his tray. i swear, even if he has only just been to the tray he always has to come and squeeze out a few drops if im kneeling there cleaning...

also, i bought my new litter mats last week to try and reduce the tracking issues. but the little nightmare refuses to stand on the mat! he has now taken to Jumping out of the tray, over the mat and tracking back across the floor!
so that was £12 well spent... sigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

:lol: :lol: love it :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

linden wrote:
Linden generally goes twice a day - one in the morning sometime and one before we go to bed. The only times she wees more frequently is if we accidentally leave the bedroom door open during the day and she sees her chance to pee on the bed!! She has to be supervised when in that room.

We have two litter trays in the main bathroom of the house that she can get to all day, and another two litter trays in the ensuite attached to the bedroom that she uses when supervised. She likes to be "taken to the toilet" - like a two year old human child... She will meow until one of us goes with her to the bathroom. With this habit, I'm glad it's only twice a day (otherwise I'd be spending the entire day waiting on a bengal to have a wee!)

I wonder if your experience with this scenario is similiar to our Millie's going under the bed ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

lnt999 wrote:
I wonder if your experience with this scenario is similiar to our Millie's going under the bed ?

Linden started when I fell pregnant - so there was a definite catalyst. Not sure if it is a "stressful event" as such, but maybe it was for her.

She's an excellent pregnancy tester! She's 100% accurate within days of conception.

She's also very good at detecting pooey nappies/diapers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have noticed that since I got the catit water fountain for my two there are more 'clumps' of pee in the litter tray so I think they are drinking more now which is good.

Does Méabh have a water fountain or drink out of a bowl? Just a thought as you know how much most of our furbabies love running water :lol:

M

P.S she's a real cutie by the way - I saw the photos on the other thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think I will have to invest in a water fountain for her. I'd hate to be storing up problems for later on for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:19 pm 
Senior Bengal

Since getting a water fountain, Tia wee's 5-6 times a day, and Louie 2-3 times. They drink a lot more with the running water :)