It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Looking for a couple of pieces of advice............(as usual!)

I've built a run outside for Lubo - its fairly big - approx 8 x 6ft. I've got half a forest in it (ONLY JOKING) - got a few tree trunks, thick branches, toys, shall tray of water etc but still he does not seem to enjoy it!!!! However , he does want out!

Appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on the run but would also like to know your views on using a harness to take Lubo out. I've heard this can be quite unsettling for an indoor bengal??? Does anyone let their bengals run freely outside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:00 pm 
The Boss

We have a similar set-up for our stud house (10ftx6ft run).

He likes it outside away from the hormally charged ladies....he does come inside each night for a few hours unless he's entertaining!

I think your problem is that he wants out but he wants you too, so it'd be better for the run to be attached to the house just so he can come and go as he pleases. Most studs prefer to be outside most of the time, but pets just want to go out for a little while in our experience.

We have another enclosure attached to the back of the house with access via the patio doors, this is for the queens/kittens......and they love lounging around out there especially in this weather. We use it just as much as they do.....I also put a nicely designed wrought iron gazebo frame around it to make it more appealing to the neighbours eyes.

Also Harnesses work well with all our cats....even tho its sometimes more of a drag than a walk.....Bengals always please themselves! (you should know that by now) :wink:

I can't recommend letting any cat outside let alone a bengal, its too dangerous IMO and the worry of theft/illnesses and roads would always be just too great for me to take the risk.....unless I lived in a very secluded rural area.

I've read that the normal domesticated tom will roam a teritory with a radius of 3 miles.....A Bengal tom does a 10 mile radius.....so it'd would have to be very rural. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks meemonkey. Lubo spent another hour in his run this pm and I sat in it with him - plenty of room!!! :lol: He seemed much calmer so I'll certainly consider your suggestion in the future. My breeder also thinks he will be better when I get my new baby home in 4 weeks time - a playmate if you like!

He is thirteen weeks old just now. What is the best way to introduce him to a harness and lead? He seems far too small for the normal cat harness and someone suggested a ferret harness to me but not sure. Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:00 pm 
The Boss

I think we used a rabbit harness to begin with, and there's no real procedure....just strap the wee lad up and away you both go!

After a few times he'll know the score and he'll be eager as ever to get it on, knowing that it means walkies time. :wink:

You will get a few funny looks of people....Heidi attracts all kinds of attention when she takes Uproar out on his harness.

Post subject: Harnesses
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:20 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Linda,
I find my bengals both go out on harnesses in the garden, and sometimes in a quiet road by my mothers. My youngest is almost 4 months, and to get her used to wearing one I let her keep it on in the house before attaching a lead :) She is ok but does get very excited outside and pulls like a young puppy :wink: So I have to hold on tight with her. My first bengal, Tiger Lily chewed her first harness to bits, so had to get a stronger one. So it really depends how your boy takes to it.

I dont take mine out together as a bit of a handful ! Have a go, but beware of dogs and other cats :x

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:49 pm 
We found that taking ours into the garden on a harness upset them when they came back in again, they would just meow constantly to go out again, we stopped doing it and eventually they forgot about it....

We have a run attached to the house now and they love that, Hestia our girl, spends 90% of her time out there at the moment with the hot weather we're having....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Gavin, I knew I had read this somewhere.

Think I'll give it a try (will go to the petshop after work tomorrow) but if he is getting upset by wanting out all the time then will need to stop it.

He's out in his run just now and the evening midgies are out so this is keeping him occupied. Also he's just had a nice breast of roast chicken for his tea so guess he will be a happy bengal all round!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tried putting a rabbit harness on Lubo last night - he was not a happy kitty He was very mad :x

Its one of those that are made of a mesh type material (not really like the cat harness) - do you think I just keep trying? He was so upset about the harness that when we went out into the garden he did not really enjoy it as much as I though he would.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:26 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Linda,
I was wondering if Lubo was maybe a bit scared? Rose, my kitten has been out 3 times so far. The first time she was very scared (cried and climbed up my leg :cry: ). The second she enjoyed it more, and on the the third she didnt want to go back in :) The harness she has is designed for a cat, small size. I think I got it from Pet Planet online.

I'd have another go if I was you. Does Lubo mind wearing the harness itself? I have never seen a rabbit harness so I dont know what they are like. I'm sure he'll be okay in time, take it a slower pace perhaps, and short walks (like a few steps) then a little further later in the day, and so on.

Dont worry you will get there :wink:

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Julie - it seemed to be more the harness he hated but suspect he may have been a bit scared too.

Think I'll try looking for a small cat harness as I don't think the design of the rabbit harness works for him.

Thanks for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Linda,
i have taken Tia out on a small harness i brought from the local pet shop a
few times, on the first attempt she went all stiff and flopped over on her side,
i kept with it and tried again the following day, which was much better, she
now loves going outside ( maybe a little to much ) as she gets quit upset
crying at the window to go out.
We are in the middle of building a run that is attatched to the house 10ft by 8 foot, and can't wait for it to be finished as im hopeing Tia will be a little happier being able to take her self outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bought a different kind of harness - a minature version of a cat harness. Lubo seems much more relaxed with this on and I managed to persuade him to spend 5 mins or so in the front garden tonight where he watched the cars passing with great interest.

Still not having much joy with the run I built him unless of course I sit in it with him. Hoping that when I bring Lenny home this will provide the company he needs and he will be much happier to allow me 5 minutes to myself every now and again.

When he shouts for me from the back garden I cannot resist (and he knows it!) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I tried taking my cat Tilly out into the back garden for the first time yesterday - she didnt seem to mind her collar and harness being on but the minute I opened the back door she was absolutely terrified and clung on to me before jumping back inside (it was very quiet - only the birds were singing!). I would like her to able to get some sun and fresh air, but I dont want to scare her too much again - I dont have a run or anything like that. Any advice please? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would let your kitty run around with the harness (supervised!) indoors for a while to get used to it first. Maybe half an hour a day.

My bengal will literally go crazy maowing when I get his harness out now, and will stand still to let me put it on him - even lifting one of his feet automatically to help. He really loves it. :)

I started him out when he was around 3 months old. I took him to a petstore with me once with it, even... lol... I got some funny looks, but mostly people walked up and questioned me about my cat that "looks like a tiger". :P (I mainly kept him in the front part of the buggy because I didn't want any dogs near him - he just sat there like a good boy.) :)

My advice is just to take your time with it, and let your cat decide what works. Have the door open while he has the harness (and leash) on, and let him walk out on his own - on his own terms. They usually come around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh thank you Dawn, thats so sweet about the harness!! Like a dog and their lead! I am only wanting to take her into the garden, so I might put her in her carrier and sit her outside so she gets used to the outside sounds and smells and then use her lead.