It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: a newbie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello all

I've been lurking for a while now, and would like to ask if anyone has any advice they could pass on to me.

I live on my own and don't work

I've always had dogs in the past, but now - due to a disability - cannot promise a daily walk. I've decided that the Bengal would be the most dog-like breed of cat to have, and my first ever kitten (a Bengal) arrives early next month :D

My questiions are:

1. Am I quite mad to venture into the feline world with a Bengal kitten?

2. What advice can you give a complete newbie regarding this

many thanks in advance

hazel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i personally dont agree with all the claims that bengals are "dog-like" but then i dont think they are particularly traditionally "cat-like" either...

they truely are a breed apart!

in answer to ur q's,

a) i dont think you are mad at all! i think you have taken the very wise decision to allow yourself to be owned by one of the most amazing and adorable animals of all time. i cant wait to hear how the little one affects your world

b) re. advice... kitten proof well, maintain a consistent attitude towards unpleasant behaviours, relish every minute you get to spend with him/her and remember that we are hear if you have any problems or need any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:49 pm 
I'm in the same boat as you, Oscar will be my first Bengal and although i'm bursting to get him i'm petrified that I wouldn't get it right concerning his needs. Any photos of your kitty? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had my dog for 15 years until recently (gone to doggy heaven now :( ) and got my two bengals in Jan this year.

They are definately cats but I do know why people say they are 'dog like', ours run to the door to meet us when we get home from work and one of them plays fetch, they are really loving and will cuddle for hours BUT only when they feel like it (as opposed to dogs who will always come if you call them).

I'm sure you will absolutely love your new baby - don't forget to post some pics and have fun!!

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello Hazel and welcome aboard :wink:

My first feline after getting my own place with the OH was a bengal - I got him because my OH was uncomfortable about getting a pet of any shape or form, didn't really like cats but had finally given in after I'd tired him down with my pleas, so to make the introduction into the feline world as painless as possible for him I decided to get the smartest, cutest, friendliest cat I could google - result = bengal. That was a year ago - now my OH and our little addition, Zebedee, are firm friends, in fact the OH is fiercely protective of him and refuses to let my sister's cat anywhere near Zebedee because he's convinced Meko tried to kill him!!!

Bengals are little purr machines. They thrive off attention, love and anything feathery on a string..I think they are amongst the most intelligent and loyal cats I have ever come across and certainly with Zebedee, they are FULL of affection! As long as they have lots to keep them entertained and bounce off and as long as you're prepared to have a nosy companion who insists on sticking his/her head into every nook and cranny of your home and getting involved in everything you're doing - when we were stripping wallpaper a few weeks ago, Zebby delighted in 'helping' us pull at the paper (hmmm, bearing in mind his initial 'pulling' at the paper was the reason we had to replace it in the first place :lol: ) and now we've had carpet fitted in he cant stop purring and rolling around on it for hours on end - all these things will keep you amused and impressed all day long!!

Bengals are mad so we must be too for sharing our homes with them!!!! :lol: This forum is full of more than one insane member, lol, funny thing is, we're proud to be!! x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

just go for it, at the end of the day a cat is a cat, you only need to feed and water them, like you say you cant walk a dog, you dont need to walk a cat. mind you i am training mine on a leash.

you need to kitten proof your home, move all breakables etc. I had to. They run riot. After all I have 2 soon to be 4. My two just love running riot around the house, we have built an enclosure onto the back of the house so they can get out, mine are house cats and wont be allowed out at all. even though Mitzy is swinging from the letter box when ever i lock up. The other morning they were faster than me, i was running round the street to get them back in. I have to have my wits about me at all times.

good luck

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

thanks for all your responses - in one sense I feel reassured by them - and in another slightly apprehensive, but like you say - I'm going for it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and Welcome

i too was a confirmed dog person until, we ventured into the totally insane world of Bengals - i am now mentally (some say) devoted to my babies Max & Freya. They are truely unlike either a dog or a cat but a mixture of the 2. I grin like an idiot eveytime i am asked how they are -my friends have learned not to ask!!!! Yes they only give cuddles on their own terms, but they curl up on my feet every night all night without fail.
always remeber no question you have will be stupid - have a good read round the site, if it is something that concerns you - then 99 times out of 100 it probably concerned someone else at some time!!! if you can't find the answer then ask, there is such a wealth of knowledge on here and everyone is really friendly!
pics please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:18 pm 
OMG I really do only have 17 days to go until i'm a new mum :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've been reading your posts for ages Kimberly - Oscar looks so gorgeous!

We picked our two babies out when they were only 3 weeks old so I can sympathise with the waiting game- they were so worth it though and it's lovely to have photos of them from when they were really tiny.

Can't wait to hear all your stories when Oscar finally comes home :D

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:38 pm 
Oh don't worry Kiwi you will :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kimberley,

just think, after starving the kids :wink: and waiting in anticipation for your new furrrbaby, you actually have a holiday to take,...or did you forget that..... :lol: :lol:

one week or so til your on your way to the sunnier climates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:48 am 
Michelle

Yes I nearly always forget the holiday, it will sure go quick :lol:

Post subject: how exciting...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

all the new babies.....I was floored when I found out that I was getting a kitten....I would have been just as happy if it was a pound kitty or even a free to a good home kitty..but a Bengal....the whole 2 1/2 hour trip I could barely sit still....

He loves his Ares too.....now that Kimbo is a little bigger they are almost the same color...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

kitty_kimbo,

that picture is just so cute. I love pics of bengal and their canine companions.