It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd Kitten?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:23 am 
Senior Bengal

My little kitten (Neptune) is 13 weeks old on Wednesday.

We have formed a very strong bond in the 2 weeks he has been living with me.
Whenever I'm home he follows me around, playing in whatever room I'm in. He sleeps on (sometimes in) my bed. Often I wake up and he's crawled under the covers, or is asleep on my pillow right next to my face.
Whenever he wakes up he looks at me and meows with a half sleepy look on his face that is incredibly adorable. I feel like he is saying "Oh hi. Cuddles now!" as he comes straight over to me for cuddles.

When I come from work he greets me with some very loud purring and cuddles.

Given how attentive he is to me, it's obvious he likes company.
So with this in mind I'm keen to get another kitten (I'm not addicted I swear!) because I spend all day at work. And even beside that, sometimes I'm so exhausted from all the other stuff I have to do that I just sit there and he plays around, and on me.

My questions are:
Is it too soon to bring another kitten home? I imagine if I picked one now, there would be a number of weeks wait anyway. Although I believe one of Neptune's brothers from the same litter is still available.
How would it affect the bond Neptune has with me?
How would a new kitten bond with me given the house already has a cat-slave relationship?
How would the kittens bond with each other at this early stage?
Would there be any issues with territory or gender? (Neptune is already desexed, as would any other kitten I get since it's normal for breeders over here to desex before they go to their new homes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

we got two sisters, Mitzy is like your neptune very affectionate and i often find her in bed with me or on my pillow, she constantly sits in my chest and throws herself back so she lies on her back to get her belly tickled, this goes on all day, she cries at me when i go to work and when i come home. she cries when i go to bed, and when i get up....sound familiar.

well Daisy is totally oposite, although she has become really affectionate over the past couple of days, (i think she is coming into heat) i cant pick her up, i cant give her the same cuddles, she wont really sit on my lap, unless mitzy is there, but they play together all day long, i find them snuggled in their little house when i come into the living room, they eat together and poo together,

my advice is, get another as soon as you can so they can bond whilst they are young, and it would be great if you could get a sibling, you can compare them as they grow, no cat is alike they all have their own personalities. Especially as your at work all day, afterall you dont want neptune to get too bored and start ripping your furniture up. :wink:

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

yeah, go for it!
can you tell we're all addicted?! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 am 
Senior Bengal

I guess I'd already decided I want to. I just wanted some reassurance that I should!

But it's a tough choice now as to if I get his sibling (another brown marbled), who I could pick up this weekend. Or if I wait a few more weeks and get a brown spotted one from the breeders latest litter.

Decisions decisions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Go for the sibling. Bringing in two together is the best. They are bonded and it lessens the trauma of removal from mum and litter

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd say go for the sibling too but don't be surprised if they've already forgotten each other. When I got my Bengals and when I got the latest moglets, I got litter mates who had been separated for a couple of weeks and they acted as if they'd never met each other - lots of growling and hissing. They did settle within a couple of days but it took me by surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 am 
Have you any photos Feldy? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:25 am 
Senior Bengal

Yeah I would fully expect they have forgotten about each other. Neptune completely stopped wandering around his new home calling for his litter mates after a couple of days.

Here is a picture of Neptune's brother (who at last check was still available)

And this is the breeders latest litter (6 girls). The breeder will more than likely want to keep 1 or 2 of the spotted girls for breeding. And I'm not sure what sort of a waiting list he has for the rest.
Image Image Image

I'll have to wait a bit anyway - Neptune has a cold (possibly the flu) and I don't want to expose another kitten to it if I can avoid it. :(