It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi everyone! We just got our new kitten this morning (YAAAAAAAAY) and it is all very exciting and everything, but I just have a couple of questions/ concerns....

For a start, he was really hyper for about the first half hour and then suddenly he took a huge turn and hid under the bed. He didn't come out for a loooong time, and even when he did he made a bolt for under the couch. Is this normal? I am assuming this is just because he is not used to being in a new home, but when do you think is the best time for us to 'stop' him from hiding? Should we just let him decide himself when he is ready?

Also, it is now 7pm and he hasn't eaten anything or drunken anything since he came. What should we do? This is what I ammost worried about as I have been told they should be eating three times a day :?

Apart from all this... I LOVE HAVING HIM! :D I will try and post pictures as soon as I work out how :)

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey, I don't think you need to stop him from hiding. Once he gets used to where he is, he'll come out on his own. If you stop him, you could inadvertently make him feel exposed and vulnerable, freaking him out even more. Eating is another time he'll feel vulnerable so might not do it in front of you for a while. Lots of kittens eat very little for the first couple of days, but he's not going to starve himself either so don't worry about that either.

Trailing some string or a tickler toy is a great way to catch his attention. Even if he doesn't come out at first, you can bet he'll be curious. Doing this now and then will eventually draw him out of his own accord because he'll want to play!

Awww, so exciting for you. I'm sure he'll be hyper and under your feet in no time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

yeah, im with swirlypepper here. the little one will come round with time. i would probably alternate between a little of the trailing string route and a little of the sitting in the room ignoring him and let him get used to you just being there.

cant wait to hear how he gets on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congrats on your new bengal!!

Just make sure you keep him in a small area so he can find his food and litter if he needs them.

Just keep playing with him, it will distract him from being in a new environment.

Do you have any pics yet? Would love to see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:21 am 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for the advice everyone! The distracting him with toys worked really well. Now, he is still under the bed most of the time but will come out to play or just for a pat every now and then. He even doesn't mind if I go under the bed with him and pat him :) .

As for the eating, I saw him start to nibble at his food for abit today and it is right at the end of the bed for him. Definitely improving :)

I posted some pictures in the gallery but I don't know how to resize them :? But here is one anyway :) SORRY IT IS SO BIG!

and this is him under the bed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 am 
Senior Bengal

Awwww.... so cute :D

My 1st kitten when I got her was always hiding under a blanket or the bed and not eating very much food. I had a blanket drapped over the sofa which was her favourite hiding place. After about 3 days she suddenly snapped and was much more confident and eating loads of food :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:31 pm 
Bengal Cat

haha yeah Taj seems to be snapping in and out of being really energetic, and then remembering he is in a new place too :lol: well the good news is... that we mixed some of his dry food with some fish and he dug right into it :D he is eating! yay! and thanks for your help everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

you have a lovely kitty there, I posted a huge reply to on discussion to the same question, if you want to check that out. I had the same problems with my two, 6 weeks down the line, now i cant breath because of them.

this is the both of them on my lap, and i have hundreds more, as everytime i sit down they lounge on me.

i hope this link works
http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/v ... php?t=3203

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:09 am 
Bengal Cat

michelle wrote:
you have a lovely kitty there, I posted a huge reply to on discussion to the same question, if you want to check that out. I had the same problems with my two, 6 weeks down the line, now i cant breath because of them.

this is the both of them on my lap, and i have hundreds more, as everytime i sit down they lounge on me.

i hope this link works
http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/v ... php?t=3203

Thanks! Your post was really helpful! Your cats are so adorable! Taj is slowly getting more comfortable and I can't wait until he is at the 'sitting-on-my-lap AND STAYING" stage :wink: