It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spraying....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:28 pm 
Bengal Cat

well i know this is my second post today... but i am just really really excited about getting my new kitten in two days and i am still wondering about a couple of things :?

i am getting a little male kitten and am so excited but i am a little bit concerned about the whole spraying issue. he will be an only pet (for now). in the (hopefuly) near future when we get another cat to be his playmate, would the sex of the new cat make a difference on if he sprays or not? how likely is it that he will spray even after he is neutered? does the age they are neutered at affect whether or not he sprays?

any sort of reply would be appreciated! :) thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi sally :D

oooo you must be so excited!

i think you'll find differing opinions on the best sexes to keep together, it seems to depend on personal preference a lot. the spraying is a difficult one. usually a male neutered as a kitten will be less likely to spray but unfortunately they all have the ability to do so. it's just that neutering will hopefully stop those urges before they start.

i had a male moggy who was neutered but did spray now & again. i have entire females who spray a great deal. don't let it put you off though, in general a happy neutered pet should be fine :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Generally two males (both neutered) should get on, as should two females (both spayed) but it is down to personal preference as Ren said. Mixed genders are also fine together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I think spraying/peeing inappropriately in neutered animals does depend on the age at neutering, though not always. I think kittens neutered before puberty are mostly better.

I think also that stress is a big factor, multi-cat households where territory becomes an issue, can start cats spraying even neutered ones.

Some cats are happy in ten cat households whereas some are unhappy in two cat households, if they are loner types.
It all depends on the personality of the cats involved. You may think little Freddie needs a playmate, but little Freddie was quite happy on his own, thank you very much. Or alternatively little Freddie may be beside himself with joy when he has a playmate.

Introducing a new cat into a stable cat household can also trigger things. Or little Freddie may see next door's cat outside the window and start marking territory.

It is a thing which cannot be foretold, just like you cannot tell if you send two friends on a blind date whether it will be a match made in heaven or hell. You may think it is perfect, but they end up hating the sight of one another. The only thing with cats is that the blind date is usually for life, so you may get stress showing itself in other ways, e.g. spraying.