It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten food advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:36 am 
Bengal Cat

Ive recently got a 14 week old bengal kitten how much and how often should you feed a ktten? Mine seems to be hungry all the time and boy does he let you know when he wants feeding lol. Also what is the best brand of kitten food to get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The breeder of your kitten should have told you which brand of food your kitten was on, it is a good idea to continue with what he is used to otherwise a change in diet can cause stomach upets. Best brands of food is a whole topic and it varies greatly, lots of people here will advise on different things. Mine have a bowl of wet food each and then a small bowl of dry biscuits each for some variety. In the summer it is normally dry food.

Regards to feeding I would say three times a day, morning, afternoon and evening, gradually reducing it to twice a day as he gets older. Again some people will say different things but that is my input :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As Tigerfeet pointed out, your breeder should have gone through all the dietry requirements with you.. :wink:
I always keep high quality dry kitten food down 24/7 with fresh water next to it..
I also give a small amout of wet kitten meat morning & night.. :D
Try not to chop n change foods all the time though cause babies can have sensitive tummies..
what food did your kitten come with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

my little one too is ALWAYS hungry and i have been pretty bewildered by the conflicting information you recieve about "how much" to feed. certainly goblin gets fed in the morning, and mid afternoon, he also gets a "snack" before bedtime

but how much to feed him? that really confuses me. particularily since any of the "packages" only give you the suggestions for feeding "either" dry or wet food. not a combination. and the suggestions seem ridiculous!
one wet food i looked at recently suggested feeding 375g per day for kittens from 12 weeks! i dont think goblin could have FIT 375g of food in each day!

goblin gets 2 100g pouches per day and 25-30g of dry each night but that has been a fairly recent increase as although goblin has always been small due to some stomach probs when he was very young, he is not growing as fast as hoped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 am 
Bengal Cat

he came with purina one dry kitten food but im wondering if that might not be enough for him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If thats what he is used to, just put a full bowl down with fresh water and he will eat when he is hungry..
are you sure he isnt just talking to you??
bengals never shut up you know :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

For kittens I'd leave dry food all day ;)

Now I feed my cats 3 times a day, they get something like 60-70g each a day (well, I say each, but I think Onyx eats most of it :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:37 pm 
Bengal Cat

my kitten never shuts up one good thing about it is that at least he warns me when he goes into his litter tray lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feed my babies Hills science plan kitten food. I just keep a bowl down like a running buffet style. :roll: :wink: