It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

We're getting our kittens in 4 weeks time (and can't wait!), but I wanted to ask a question from those who have had Bengals from kittens. When at the breeders, the two we're getting are very active and playful etc, but also a bit bitey/scratchy. I know this is typical cat behaviour, but I've not had a cat before which has this level of energy. So while it's cute and playful right now at 9 weeks, when it gets to 9 months I don't think it'll be as humourous! I expect they're behaving like this because they're A) kittens! and B) it'll be how they play with their litter-mates. I'm not to keen on either my wife or I getting our hands shredded in the future, though. Do they grow out of this, or is it something they'll need to be trained not to do?

I'll get some pics uploaded ASAP. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

They do get less scratchy with time but you do need to be prepared for some shredding :D A favourite of mine was climbing up my legs and I made the mistake of thinking it was cute so they still do it - the strategy now is to wear jeans!! Right from the beginning don't get into the habit of letting them play with your fingers - use wiggly wand toys instead. If they bite or scratch too hard, make a point of putting them down on the floor and saying No firmly. Provide them with something that they can scratch - they need to do it so the key is for them to scratch something other than you! Scratching posts with a play ball attached or a mat or something similar should suffice - or a cat tree if you're ambitious (there's a thread somewhere else about them).

Good luck with the new additions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

And don't expect them to stop being kittens at 9 months ;) Give it a few years!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

And dont wiggle your toes at them :twisted: . Keep a small feathered wand toy handy. If the kitten(s) keep going for your toes or jumping up your legs, take their mind off it with the wand and praise them when they change direction :lol:

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 pm 
linden wrote:
And don't expect them to stop being kittens at 9 months ;) Give it a few years!!

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine still use my legs as a scratch post given the opportunity :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:08 pm 
Senior Bengal

if i make a fuss and act like im really hurt when khan bites me he stops intsantly and acts soo remorsefully! he even licks it better sometimes. dont know if it would work on every cat, but it works a treat with him. just a lot of very noisy "owwwwing!!!" like im in pain. he still occaisonally likes a little tussle and bite, but he makes sure its on a big thick jumper now, we've had him for about a month and a half, but he got the jist of that one after a few weeks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:37 pm 
Bengal Cat

i got asked at the weekend if i was slef harming by te state of scratches up my arm!!!

Diego thinks its great to play nicely then come at you with a full claw attack! - i have no play with hands - theres always got to be a toy envolved!! i just get caught instead of the toy at times! I tried sayin no and ignoring him but this didnt work - so now i yelp like im really in pain - he then goes back to being gentle an gives me a lick as if to say sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

my legs look like i have walked through the prickly bush, Mitzy runs and jumps over my legs sometimes catching her claws on them. or she will jump up, misjudge the distance and use her claws to hang on...ouch. Ihave noticed tho the pair now play with me with their claws in, occasionally i still get caught. I agree you need plenty for your kittens to occupy them with, i have two cat trees, lots of small mice, although i dont know where they have put them, scratch posts, feather wands...and more.

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

This kind of behaviour stops quite quickly ;).

I remember, when I was at the breeder, I took some kittens in my arms and got quite a few scratches on the arms and er "décolleté" (the area between neck and breasts ?) :lol:, just because they were struggling to get down...

Chaos still can scratch a bit if we hold him too long (not to hurt, just because he wriggles with the claws out) or when in full play mode (if the toy is too near a foot), but as soon as they were 2 (when Onyx was alone he played with my hands) I stopped having scratches all over arms and hands ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

AnnC wrote:

"décolleté" (the area between neck and breasts ?)

"chest" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:37 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for all the advice, guys - it seems that at least it's not unusual behaviour, and hopefully we can train them out of it. I'll keep you posted!