It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:02 am 
Bengal Kitten

As my last pet, an old stray moggie I rescued from the street when I moved into my new apartment, has deceased, I am getting two new cats. One of them is a spayed female moggie whose age the vet estimates as "around two" who seems very friendly and sociable. The other is this handsome fellow, a 1.5 year old very sociable and affectionate F3 named Benjiman. Although he's an F3, the lady running the adoption agency assures me he's very friendly, safe, and social, gets along well with other cats and children (including her own five-year-old). He's just very large. (The lady said his size often leads to people she encounters with him wondering if he is a bobcat or something.) He's not neutered yet, but he will be. (Should I have it done right away, or should I wait until he's adjusted to his new home to give him that other shock?)

It is my plan, in adopting these two cats at the same time, to lessen territorial issues since my apartment will be neither one's "territory" yet. (I will still be keeping them mostly separated for at least the first couple of days, however, depending on how well they seem to get along. I will also be swapping the position of the last two vowels in the Bengal cat's name. As its owner, I will have that right. :)) I figure that they can keep each other company while I'm away at work. I will also be getting a harness and leads to give Benjiman (and likely the moggie, whose name is Diva, as well) some outside time. And I'll be getting a cat condo, hopefully a tall one, to give Benji his very own aerie.

I've read a lot of threads here, and I picked up Barron's Bengal Cats: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual at the store today, but I was wondering if anyone had any general advice to offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

People have said they want pictures…

I don't have any pictures of the Bengal yet, but I went down to the shelter to visit the moggie the other day and took some cellphone snaps and movies. The pictures and the only video under Flickr's 90 second time limit are on Flickr, right here.

http://flickr.com/photos/30169195@N00/s ... 059566624/

I have also put all three videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twTasWfY59w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fpY6LADkt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQfPG6fBBjU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She looks lovely - fantastic long tail :) From the photos, she seems quite confident too so hopefully she'll settle in well when you get her home. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She is really cute, good luck with the rescue, I am sure your going to have lots of fun with them,.

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Well, the lady from the shelter should be at my place with Benji in about an hour and a half, and then a friend and I will go down to the shelter to retrieve Diva. I'm as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!

I've already set an appointment with the vet to have Benji neutered overnight Monday to Tuesday. I'm sure he won't be too happy about having to go into the vet—but I bet that by the time I bring him home, he'll be feeling like he left a little piece of himself there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i hope all goes well, very exciting for you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:51 am 
Bengal Kitten

They've both been in the place for a few hours now, and they're getting to know each other. The shelter operator, who was well acquainted with Benjamin's personality, said that she would advise putting them together right away. She said she wouldn't advise it for every cat, but she knew Benji's personality, that he was all right around other cats and wouldn't fight back against a bossy female. So I went ahead and introduced them together right away (after giving Diva a while alone to calm down from her car trip).

So far there's been a lot of "talking" from Benji, a good bit of hissing from Diva, a lot of circling around and watching each other, and a very little yowling and batting. Neither of them is really doing the full-out ears-back ominous yowling that I associated with my old cat when anything invaded "her" territory—their ears are mostly forward—and whenever there is a shrieking confrontation it's only a second or so long. (There've only been about three or four of them so far.)

Benjamin seems more prone to seek "higher ground" in the disputes—on top of my bed, or on the back of the sofa. Diva likes to go under my bed and peek out from behind the blankets. So far Diva has been the mainly aggressive one, and Benjamin has mainly backed off. When Diva moves in on Benjamin, she moves in low to the ground, and Benjamin stands up on his hind legs.

Oddly, Diva is the only one who seems to be very playful at this point, even on catnip. I can't get Benji to notice a laser pointer for the life of me right now. Maybe he'll loosen up once their relationship settles down.

If I get near either one, the other gets jealous, so I'm just leaving them alone right now. I'm hopeful that soon they'll settle down to a state of detente.

And here are some photos:

Benjamin - http://flickr.com/photos/30169195@N00/s ... 114396483/

Diva - http://flickr.com/photos/30169195@N00/s ... 059566624/ (includes the ones you've seen already, plus new ones)

My Room - http://flickr.com/photos/30169195@N00/s ... 114396529/ (no cats in it, but it shows where they live)

Incidentally, there are three Bengal kittens in Arkansas that are going to need rescue. The shelter lady told me they'd just heard from a vet about them. Apparently a breeder's pregnant Bengal had gotten very sick, and the breeder had taken it to the vet but not been able or willing to pay for its treatment. It died giving birth, but three of the kittens from the litter survived (and are being hand-fed by the vet's people). The shelter is now looking for a way to get the kittens up from Arkansas to Mansfield, Missouri, and will presumably be offering them for adoption when they get old enough.

The rescue organization is Tender Loving Rescue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:21 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Last night, Benji swatted a moth right ouf the air with his paw, and I was so proud…

Then he ate it, and I was so grossed out. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Diva and the Turbo Scratcher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqLq2_UcVs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

sounds like all's going well. don't expect them to react to all the new things so soon, you could overload them with stimuli. take it easy & work at their pace, but it sounds like they should get along just fine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I've updated the Flickr photostreams with a bunch of new pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 am 
Bengal Kitten

Diva and Benjamin at play: http://www.youtube.com/v/c0JirZLHQZg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

looks like they're getting along just fine =)

good work!!