It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: nail clippers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi all,

I had some nail clippers for years for the pets but they finally fell apart.
Have just bought some new ones and they are really rubbish and don't do anything.
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced yet effective UK available brand as Lyra is velcro-ed to everything atm.

Thanks
Tanith

Also, I got into a huge fight in another forum and have left it in a huff. Doh. :oops: Was being accused of being irresponsible and having no love or interest in the breed . . . :( It was because I had mentioned my shock re the costs (as I have done here) and I think it was taken the wrong way. So I will be hanging here exclusively now - and not saying anything controversial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:36 pm 
A lot of people just use human clippers - they seem to work fine, just to nip the ends off the claws.

Have to admit, we haven't done ours in ages, they don't seem too long though, so can only assume they keep them in check themselves by scratching on the wood post they have in the cat run...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks, I will try that. Perhaps I am trying to cut a bit too high up - though am being very careful re the quick.

Re my huge fight in the "other" forum - after many furious pms back and forward, I think that we have realised that we have had a horrible misunderstanding and we are now firm friends swapping cat pics and she dispensing useful advice. Is almost funny, but not really. No-one seems to get het up on this forum do they? More chilled I guess. Long may it continue.
tx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:55 pm 
The Real Boss

tanith wrote:
Re my huge fight in the "other" forum - after many furious pms back and forward, I think that we have realised that we have had a horrible misunderstanding and we are now firm friends swapping cat pics and she dispensing useful advice.

Hi Tanith

Don't worry about the other bunch...I'm not sure if you noticed but it was me who was getting grief off them only a few weeks ago...I dared to challenge the rights of a GCCF judge and "oh my" what upset that caused but it's all done and dusted now.

They are a very knowledgeable bunch and 99.9% of the time they are friendly. Occasionally emails don't come across as you intend them to and people can get the wrong end of the stick but nobody every really holds a grudge about anything.

If you posted today asking for help on a different topic they would all happily respond. Personally, I was backing you're views re pricing all the way but I could see from my own posts on the topic where the argument was going so I stopped replying.

Please don’t leave that group…for novices like me and you their knowledge really is invaluable :)

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:05 pm 
The Boss

yup....we use human clippers too!

Only take the tips off but I guess you already know that.

Also you'll probably find that pet clippers are twice the price as human clippers.

BTW don't give up on the other groups just yet.....they're not all biggots, Just some of them! :lol:

And make as many controversial comments as you like on here.....Gavin and Siobhan make the rules around here.....and thats the way we all like it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, I need to learn which threads to avoid and when to withdraw gracefully. I will lurk quietly for a bit.

I mentioned to my daughter that someone had been beastly on a cat forum and she laughed, saying, "What do you expect? It's a forum full of mad cat women." :D

Controversial statement: Bengals are stupid, ugly, dangerous genetically moribund and an offence to nature!
:lol:
ouch . . ouch . . yike . . stoppit . . ow . . /me runs from room

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:05 pm 
I didn't know there was more than one Bengal forum!! I am verging on the obsessive with my information gathering so would anyone be prepared to tell me the address - I promise not to post anything controversial :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 pm 
The Boss

Are you sure you want to expose yourself to it Teresa? :lol:

The other forums we are talking about are yahoo based groups, so they're set out a little different to this forum.

Some of them are u.s based groups concentrating on bengals, but the others are general groups covering all aspects of cat breeding!

I don't really know the url's.....so your best just making a yahoo id and then just search through the group listing for ones that might interest you.

Personally I like to stick to this forum only.....I just like the people on here, we all seem to share the same sense of humour on here and no-one ever gets offended either. (no offense to the other groups/forums out there) :wink:

p.s Tanith....."mad cat women".....you don't even know the half of it....wait till you get to the shows! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have 10 cats, all I've EVER used on my Bengals were the regular "nail clippers" for PEOPLE. I tried some of the "clippers for cats" but they were so cumbersome, and I think they sort of frightened my rescues, so by the time I got my Bengals, I had learned to use regular ones.

I found some GREAT ones, that have a little "catch all" that the tips fall into, when I take the tips off my cat's claws, really saves on the MESS... but haven't been able to find a "spare" set :(

Regarding all the groups and forums. I've lost COUNT of all the Yahoo Bengal lists I'm on, and I'm also on several International Forums, and enjoy all of them. Of course, I'm a little "thick skinned" about the little squabbles that occur on the lists. As long as you don't take anything TOO serious, when the squabbles occur, they are pretty soon forgotten.

I have my own Yahoo group "Fancidots_Bengals_and_ Friends" We are a smallish group, I am the group owner, and I don't allow FLAMING on the list. There are several US Breeders on my group, and quite a few pet "slaves" to our Bengals. So far, everyone has been really nice to one another, the breeders give good advice, and those of us who have had CATS for a LONG time are always willing to help, when we can.

LaVon
and the
Fancidots Felines
http://fancidots.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Fanci':
had a look at your blogspot. All the cats look very contented and as though they get on very well.
It seems as though they not only merely tolerate each other, but actually like one another's company. Are they related?
Have only had ferals in the past and the most I ever hoped for was relatively friendly truces. Am hoping Lyra will get on as well with her daughter when she has a litter and we keep one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Tanith,

Thank you for the kind comments about my pride. I not only call them my "pride" because they are a "pride" of cats... but I am so proud of all of them, each for their individual relationships with me and my son.

YES my cats all do get along quite well. Particularly ODD to me, the Bengal girls LOVE my big robust white rescue alter boys, Casper and Hatter.

They have "favorites" just as people do, I suppose. I have one rescue female who HATES being indoors, and I have made a home for her, on my screened porch. She doesn't seem to mind, when the others "visit" her space, but is a little overwhelmed, when I bring her indoors, in inclimate weather. (extreme cold or thunderstorms) She growls and carrys on, which seems to bewilder the others.

My F1 Bengal, Mister Zenith -- loves ALL the other cats in the house. This was a "special surprise" to me, since several people had warned me against getting an EG Bengal, since I have so many cats, and not all Bengals. He does seem to "favor" sleeping and cuddling with two of my females, Lightnin and Victoria -- and seems to PLAY more with Dagger and Emma. He LOVES my grumpy old, QUITE neurotic Tiger (rescue). He will tolerate ANYTHING from Tiger.

I can't think of a single cat in the house, who he doesn't interact with, in some way. Actually, Colette (the breeder he came from) told me she was glad he was going to a multiple cat home, because he seemed to enjoy the company of her OTHER cats... and that has proven VERY true. He is not "solitary" in any way, I can think of, or observe.

They DO play and race and squabble, but have never seriously hurt one another.

There is a LOT of "competition" for my attention, though. I am "mommy" to all of them, except my son's tabby rescue, Bailey, who avoids me. LOL

I OFTEN have to re-arrange the pride, at bedtime, because there are almost always 4 or 5 who want to sleep on the bed, with me. And, interestingly, it's not ALWAYS the same 4 or 5.

Hatter likes for me to "hold him like a baby" on his back, when I watch TV.
And, he LOVES to be brushed. I can pick up HIS brush, and wherever he is, he comes running to me for his "brush time".

Casper likes to lay on my lap, but doesn't like to be on his back. He is my HCM rescue kitty, and he isn't quite as active as the others, so he's a little more "chubby" than any of the others. He does, however get VERY frisky and playful, when I bring out my laser light pen, and have them "chase the dot".

Victoria isn't really a 'lap cat' but she will walk ON Casper or Hatter, just to disturb THEM, and get MY attention. LATE at night, after I go to bed, she likes to get UNDER my covers, and lay near my hip, and "groom" my right hand, till either she or I go to sleep.

Lightnin doesn't like to lay IN my lap, but OFTEN lays beside my thigh, wherever I'm sitting - and just "snuggle" against me. She isn't a keen on petting, but likes to be CLOSE. She also has a very cute "trick" that she performs, when I have boiled chicken treats. She will stand with her back legs on my seat, and her front legs on my thigh - and hold her mouth open, with her tongue out - just a little - for me to place pieces of chicken ON her tongue, when it's her turn for a bite. She NEVER "snaps or grabs" -- she KNOWS she will get her next bite, when it's her turn, again.

Zenith walks all over me, OFTEN standing on my chest and giving me head butts and kisses. He likes to lay in my lap under the keyboard shelf, when I'm on the computer. He also gives me WET kisses every morning and MUST have HIS few moments of my undivided attention to start each day.

Tiger likes to lay on my LEFT at night, and have me whisper to him, at bedtime.

Dagger loves Mommy ANYTIME someone else isn't "on" me. I showed him, for a while, in the kitten class and once in the Adult Alter class. He LOVES to ride in the car, so I occasionally take him to PetSmart or to the Library with me. When he sees me get out his "harness" he comes up to "my level" to have me put it on, because he knows it means "GO"
He behaves VERY well in the car and loves all the attention he gets, at the local library, whose employees always seem thrilled to have him visit.

Emma loves my son Darrell, the most... she usually sleeps with him and his rescue kitty, Bailey. She does like to go to the bathroom when I go there, and get me to turn on the water in the bathroom sink, for tap water "drinks" and she pretty much always perches on the rail of my glass shower doors, when I shower.

They ALL love "GAMES" and we have playtime, every night, before I turn off the lights. Zenith and Lightnin are the most INTENSE about "catching" the "DaBird" toy... but I try to let everyone catch it a couple of times, before I put it away in a dresser drawer, for safe-keeping.

Zenith has a little stuffed toy bear that he likes to play fetch with - mostly with my son.

Victoria likes pony tail bands, and likes for me to "slingshot" them across the room, and will fetch them back to me.

Zenith is, I suppose, the most PHOTOGRAPHED one. And, I think he has bonded with me the MOST of the 9 that are "mine".

But, I try to make sure none of them EVER feel "left out" or "neglected" and that has seemed to WORK in my home.

Sorry, everyone, for the LONG post... but I believe the "individual" relationships I have with ALL my cats, allows them to know they are "safe and special members of my family". So, there isn't much "jealous squabbling" around here. We're simply a close and comfortable family.

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully I can keep this one shorter.

Tanith, you asked if my cats were "related"

Victoria and Lightnin are litter-mate sisters 2 1/2 yrs old - from Sutera Bengals in Alabama.

Dagger and Emma are litter-mate brother and sister 2 yrs old - from Uniqueprints in Texas.

Mister Zenith is my "Early Generation Boy" just over 1 yr old - from Cocoaspride in Oregon.

Tiger is a rescue approx. 10 years old from Alabama (friends rescued him, but couldn't keep him)

Hatter is a rescue approx 3 years old from Georgia (I rescued him and his family, from my elderly aunt's garage, had mom spayed, and returned her to my aunt to keep mice away - found homes for his littermates, and brought him home with me.)

Casper is a rescue approx 3 years old from Alabama (I adopted him from a local rescue, Save Our Strays, to be Hatter's same age playmate.)

Moonlight (porch kitty) is a rescue approx 7 years old. She came to me when her owners moved away and left her. She was approx 4 when she came to me.

Bailey (son's cat) 3 yrs old - is a rescue from humane society in North Dakota.

The ONLY way they are ALL related - are by "LOVE" from their "mommy"

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes those were long, posts but very interesting. I know why. Once I get going about my Lyra, or my dog or my horse or my kids it is almost as though one is writing a little essay / love song or something. Sad really :lol:
I will be writing an equally long post soon re all the behavioral stuff that I have noticed and would like all you kind and wise ppl to answer
all my queries . . . :lol:
Btw, got ordinary human nail clippers for Lyra, as you all advised, and they worked like a dream. Very safe, sharp and fuss-free. 79pence from Superdrug, rather than £7.99 for some technical wizardry that doesn't actually work from a pet shop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I use human clippers on Tia's claws, and they work fine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 pm 
Senior Bengal

well we used proper clippers.They cost around $25 but have lasted for 15 years and look like they will last another 30.

They are much better then human oriented clippers. They function similar to these ones except ours are all are all steel construction. They pull the nail a bit as they are beveled to cut in an outward motion. They are easy to sharpen with an appropriately shaped file which can be bought at any hardware store and make a clean cut with very little splintering of the nail.

That said I was surprised that this was the only set on ebay... maybe there is a market there :)