It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Male or Female ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:22 am 
Bengal Cat

My husband and I are looking to get our first Bengal, does anyone have any advice as to whether a male or female might be better?

Thank you !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Depends on your preference. Are you looking for the more independent, bossier cat or the sloppier cat. Girls are much more intelligent than the boys and more independent. The boys are sloppier. There is also a difference in size. Girls, on average 8-9lbs, boys 13-15lb (although you do get bigger and smaller in both sexes.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

do you mean sloppier or soppier?

Sloppy doesn't sound so attractive ;)

Boys are generally smoochier. And yes - a whole lot bigger. My girl is very smoochy though - she's a big mummy's girl. Or small, I should say ;) She's absolutely psychotic when not sleeping or smoochy, and loads of fun. Great exercise too as she likes to play chasey with ALL of us - my two cats, husband and self included (also any visitors - especially kids).

Can't say so much for the boy bengals as we've never had one, but ALL of my boy cats have always been big sops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The main difference is indeed in the size and in the behaviors associated with sexuality. If you get a spayed/neutered cat, those sexual behaviors won't play a role and it depends more on the individual cat's personality. If you're getting a kitten, you won't really know what you have on your hands until it grows up a bit. If you get an older cat, you can already tell what their size and personality is before you bring it into the house.

In general, if you're looking for an outgoing "lap cat" your chances are probably best with a neutered male. They are often more affectionate while females can be a bit more aloof. If you're looking for a mouser or a cat you can leave alone for much of the day a female might be better at that. If you already have a cat, getting one of the opposite sex might work out better than adding another one of the same sex. This is just very crude generalization though. It all depends on the individual cat's personality. You can certainly find plenty of females that are lovebugs and suck at catching mice and males that won't allow you to even touch them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was in the same predicament as you > male or female??? The only thing that cemented my decision was my mum's female moggie - so far in my family we'd only evey had male cats, all different breeds - bsh, egyptian maus, abyssinian, ocicat - and all had similar personalities - affectionate, boisterous at times, laid back & a certain air of 'wisdom' about them...my mum decided to adopt a girl for a change and, basically, Snoopy thinks she's my mum's daughter and the rest of us (6 kids!!!! + 2 grandkids) have been demoted to second place. She jealously guards my mum, won't even come near any of us until having spent 10 mins sniffing and licking our toes and shoes, and although harmless, doesn't take kindly to attention from anyone bar my mum and youngest sister.

When we were getting Zebedee my OH was unhappy about having a cat and so after finally convincing him, I went out of my way to make sure I got an affectionate, friendly cat who my OH would take to & thus break his dislike of cats. I'd always wanted a bengal & my breeder advised me that a boy would be so much more easy going rather than a girl who might have her jealous moments - obviously, its never set in concrete and now that i've said that the opposite will probably be true ;) - nevertheless, 10 months on and now my OH loves Zebby more than he loves me i'm sure and they spend endless hours of 'boys time' (OH watching the football eating nachos and Zebby happily curled up next to him licking his share of nachos)...

Conclusion - i'd get a boy - but having said that, i've just left a deposit on a female Aby ;)

So...really all my advice is probably pointless!! x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:26 pm 
I'm also stuck on male or female. The thing that puts me off a male is the spaying, i've been told that even after they have been neutured they can still spay and thats what puts me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

sloppier = mucho soppy

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:41 pm 
Senior Bengal

zebedee wrote:
So...really all my advice is probably pointless!! x

:lol: it was a nice story though!

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said. I often joke that if our stud can't mate with it, eat it or kill it he will never look at it again. Obviously that is a joke but there is some element of truth to it.

A quality female Bengal is likely the smartest companion animal I've ever encountered but that intelligence comes at a price. Truly remarkable to have an alpha female wandering around your house though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

kimberley wrote:
I'm also stuck on male or female. The thing that puts me off a male is the spaying, i've been told that even after they have been neutured they can still spay and thats what puts me off.

Mikesch was an unneutered stray when I took him in and already older than the recommended age for neutering. He sprayed up a storm and I was worried he wouldn't stop. One study done on older cats neutered after they started spraying said 87% stop spraying (78% immediately), but 13% keep at it. However, from the day he came back from the vet after being neutered he never sprayed again even once. If you get them fixed before they start spraying (before they are 4-5 months old or so), you have an even greater chance that they will never start. More than 90% of cats neutered before they start spraying will never start. However if you keep a male cat intact, he will spray eventually and the longer he does the harder it might be to break him of the habit.

It may be worth noting that female cats will spray, too, so it's important for both sexes to get fixed if you want to avoid that problem. Sexual behavior is not the only reason why they might spray and that's why sometimes spayed/neutered cats spray, but it is certainly the major factor contributing to it. My oldest Binky (11-yo neutered male) sometimes sprays and apparently it's always related to stress caused by changes in his environment or daily routine. Once he's settled down again he stops doing it. I guess he's just a grumpy old cat and it's his way of telling me he's upset about something and needs more cuddles to feel ok again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:52 pm 
Thanks Tam :D I won't trust what i read on the net anymore :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:00 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for all the advice ! Either way we will get it neutered.
My parents have always had female cats but my husband wanted a male..
I guess we will see their personalities when we choose.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think you'll find that the kittie will probably choose you so you don't need to make that decision. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:17 pm 
What if they all choose me though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Then you go bankrupt :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

And I hope you have a big house. :lol: