[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Kitten Registered with TICA with Incorrect Sex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

I am looking to buy a 6 month old male Bengal kitten from a TICA registered cattery. The breeder mistakenly registered him as a female after incorrectly determining the sex of the kitten when he was younger. Does anyone know how to get this sex error corrected with TICA? Does the litter registry and individual cat registry both have to be corrected? The breeder mentioned this was the case and it would cost a total of $150.00 to get fixed. Sorry but I don't know anything about registering cats. Any advise would be welcomed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. I'm going to suggest you find another breeder. If the breeder made the error on registering the sex of the cat, then the breeder needs to change the information and pay any necessary fees, not YOU. Here is the info from the TICA website"

Q: May I change the Blueslip?
A: No alterations may be made to the printed portion of this document. Corrections to the printed portion of this document must be submitted to the Executive Office in writing by the breeder, together with the original documents and the appropriate fees.

According to their price list:

Duplicate or Correction made by Owner or Member (All Documents) $10

I honestly can't see where it would cost anywhere near $150 to have a simple error corrected. If the breeder didn't readily agree to correct the error, I'm saying, "bye bye and thank you very much, but I'm going elsewhere for my bengal."

There are too many great breeders out there to mess with one who could screw up something so simple as registering a litter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:00 am 
Bengal Kitten

The breeder has agreed to get the kitten's TICA registration straightened out and pay the associated fees. Why she stated it would cost $150 is beyond me. It does give me pause. She is a nice lady and doesn't seem to be a shyster of some sort. I haven't seen the documents myself. The breeder stated she would have a contract for me to sign and said I would have to take the cat to my vet for a check-up. I assume this will be part of the contract. Also, this is for a pet only so I assume getting him neutered will also be part of the contract. Do breeders often require you to get the kitten neutered before signing over the registration papers or how does this normally work? Should the breeder also provide vaccination history documentation? The breeder said all the kitten's shots were up to date, but how is she supposed to demonstrate or prove this to me?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 am 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your pictures are not showing up.

Every breeder is different. Some have their kittens sprayed and neutered before they go to the new owners and registration papers are provided immediately. Other breeders allow their kittens to leave without being fixed and they hold the registration papers until proof of spaying or neutering has been provided to them. It is always easier to have the breeder take are of this so you don't have to.

Your contract may not state the sex of the cat will be changed because contracts are standard .. unless it is added and signed and initialed by both parties. It is very common that kittens go to the vet within 72 hours after going to the new owner. And your breeder should provide a health certificate to you as you never want to re-vaccinate a cat that has already had their initial vaccinations. This is all standard. Many breeders have their contracts online so you can read it. Make sure you understand every aspect of the contact as it is legally binding. If it states your cat may not be outside unsupervised, you need to abide by that rule (unfortunately, many bengal owners do not).

Many breeder will also provide you with a pedigree, which has not been certified. Only TICA will certify a pedigree and you can order one for your kitty when you register it. Or not! Many people simply register their kitties and receive a registration certificate with the TICA registration numbers on it for the kitty and the parents.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

It appears Photobucket no longer offers free third party hosting. Now you have to pay to be able to link pics to forums such as this one.

I went to the the breeder's home last night and she showed me all of the kitten's vet history documents showing his wellness examination findings and vaccination history. Also a rabies certificate. The kitten was born on January 1, 2017. So a New Years baby making it easy to remember his birthday! The kitty was taken to the vet on March 18th for the first time, then again on April 8th and again on June 17th. All the visits showed no health issues. Interestingly, it wasn't until the 3rd vet visit on June 27th that the vet changed the sex from female to male. This examination report stated that the kitten's external genitalia appear normal.

We also went over the breeder's contact. The contact shows the mother and father's cattery names and the parent's names also their TICA registration numbers. The contract states that there is a one year health guarantee but I will be required to take the kitten to a licensed vet within 10 business days for an examination. The contract also states that I am to get the kitten neutered as the kitten is being sold as a family pet and is not intended for breeding. Registration papers will be released to me upon presenting the breeder with a neuter certificate from the vet. The contract states I am to keep the kitten as an indoor pet.

I have decided to buy the kitten and will be bringing the kitten home tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not sure why this kitty is almost 8 months old and just now going to a home! But, I do see many times on breeders' websites that they hold back a cat to see if it may fit into their breeding program and then decide to let it go because it does not. I suggest that you not only take him in for his check up, but have him neutered as soon as possible before he starts spraying in your home -- and you may not be able to prevent that either as he is nearing sexual maturity and has obviously been around female cats at the breeders. And, the sooner you have it done, the sooner you get the registration papers. You can find posts in this forum from owners who sent the breeder the vet report and never got the registration papers or it took the breeder forever to send them. So please don't wait very long.

I'm sure the breeders' contract was pretty standard and straight forward. Usually, the contract will allow you to take your kitty outside on a harness and leash. They just want the cat supervised, however having an ALL indoor cat is the best. HOWEVER ... you are getting an older male and that may not sit well with your new boy. You can also create an enclosure for him -- portable or permanent -- so he can enjoy the outdoors. Mine gets two walks a day and has a very large enclosure on our deck that he can access 24/7.

You can post pictures from your computer directly to your post as long as they are under 256k.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The lady was holding him as a breeder. Only lady the thought he was a she up until he was about 6 months old. Even the vet was referring to him as a female in all the vet wellness reports. I am not familiar with this particular vet office but I do know it is in the upscale part of town. After finding out he was a male she put him up for sale as a pet. He was for sale for about a month when I contacted the breeder and told her I was interested in him.

The kitten's mother was the breeder's queen. He was her last litter and he was an only child (one kitten litter). The mother is about 6 years old now and has now been retired. The breeder just received a new female kitten that will become her new queen.

I tried to attach the pictures I have of him on my computer (actually my IPad) but they were all too large. I may try to edit them on my desktop computer to see if I can make them small enough to attach.

Last edited by Sauntman on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can see why she wanted this kitty as a breeder. He is stunning! It is rare, but it can happen that one can mistake the sex of a cat. I thought my bengal was a girl when he first visited my yard as I could see no testicles and he had a sagging belly (primordial pouch). I took him to a vet down the street and he was their patient and they informed me he was a neutered male! People always call Raiden a SHE on our walk because of the belly and "did she just have kittens?" It's pretty comical.

You are getting a gorgeous kitty cat -- enjoy him! And, thankfully, he will get a male pedigreed name and not something like "Princess Natasha." :biggrin: