It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a second kitten
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone!

We are getting a second bengal kitten in a month and we already have one 16 week old female Bengal. We are getting a male so we have one of each and also we thought they would get along better. I wanted to ask for your advice when introducing them. I know we need to provide a separate room for the new kitty until he is confident enough and then supervise them when together. I wondered if they can be introduced sooner since they are both still very young?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would not advise rushing introductions between cats. I know, we've all heard stories about how two cats met and magically got along from day one. But the reality is that you have one cat who has established a territory with scent markers, and another cat walking into that territory. One of the reasons for keeping the cats separate is to allow the new cat to establish scent markers in the new place. Also, as you go back and forth between the two cats, your scent mixes with theirs, creating what is called a 'community scent'. It is this community scent that allows the cats to get along.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your gal will have already put scent markers around and your boy will be stressed out in coming to a new environment, so definitely prepare a safe room where he can decompress. Give him a few days but spend as much time with him as you can. Sometimes two cats can get introduced immediately and do fine. See what happens and go from there. Just do not rush the situation. They are both still kittens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you both. We've got a room ready all for himself when he arrives. I won't rush it as I want to make sure they get along well. I'll post an update once he arrives. :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Kristina,

How did the little ones get along?

I also just got a 2nd female kitten to get along with our male kitten (both 5 months).

Still have not introduced them to each other - she is still in her safe room....cant wait to see how it goes! Funny thing is that when she cries in her room he definitely can hear her but he is not really interested.

Thanks,

James