It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nala is calling
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have just bought a friend for Simba she is retired breeding Queen 3 years old.

Simba and Nala became friends very quickly and they are very good together.

I had her booked in to be spayed on Monday but my vet refused to do it because she had come into season.

He has made a new appointment in 3 weeks time.

Is this over cautious?
How long does a Bengal stay in season for?

Post subject: Re: Nala is calling
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:44 am 
Bengal Kitten

I forgot to mention Simba is neutered so their will be no kittens but she is driving me nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How wonderful of you to rescue a retired queen. Many vets are hesitant to do any spaying while they are in heat as there is extra blood in that area during that time. Unfortunately, you may have to tolerate Nala's calling until she is spayed. Time will fly and soon she will be a fixed female. Does she have a pedigreed name?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was lucky my vet didn't see it as a problem when Pearl was spayed, she was in season, I told the vet and she said it was fine.

I suppose each vet is different.

It's the noise I can't stand of them calling we had it for about a week before she was spayed.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am 
Bengal Kitten

Nala's owner would not give me her papers I think because she was not yet spayed I'll ask again when she's been done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Give me the cattery name and I'll see if I have her in my database.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:42 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I only know her as Debbie she advertised Nala on Preloved, I collected Nala from a farm with lots of Bengals, Maine Coone and other breeds in cages, she also had stables for rescue horses.

I have text her and asked for just the Pedigree name of Nala I'm not interested in her papers as she is a pet only.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I just received a text from Debbie, she says everything is stored in boxes as she is doing work on the farm house, and she will give me Nala's pedigree name when she can.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like a menagerie of pets and I can only imagine how hectic things might be for Debbie. I'm sure Nala is registered. I have 62 Nala's in my database. And Nala may not even be part of the pedigreed name. Let me know if you find out anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Can someone tell me what papers we are talking about, I never got anything with any of my cats except their pedigree which Sherry has seen them all and told my what generation they all are, I just wondered what this other papers are you are talking about.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:49 am 
Bengal Kitten

Sherry her name was Ruby before she came to me my Granddaughter named her Nala to partner Simba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have just caught Nala spraying on my furniture, I thought only males did that, is their anything I can do to discourage it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have over 50 Ruby's in my database.

Clare, what you sent me were the pedigrees from the breeder. You have not registered Pearl and Magic with any registering entity such as TICA or GCCF. Registering gives them a pedigree named and continues the pedigreed line of the parents. Since both Magic and Pearl are fixed, the pedigree ends with them. You do not have to officially register your kitties. However, registration confirms their purebred status. Even if you do not order a pedigree, you get a form proving registration of your cat.

Jayuzuri Bengals' website does not list any affiliation with TICA or GCCF. The five bengals I can find that show registration numbers (from 2004 through 2011) are registered with TICA. As of February 2017, they are still listed on TICA's list of registered catteries. Usually, registration forms are withheld until the cat has been spayed or neutered. If you are interested in registering your kitties, Clare, contact your breeder and go from there. It's not something you have to do.

Oh yes, females spray just as much as males! This is why we recommend spaying them before they go into heat! My friend has an older spayed female who still sprays to this day. Once they start, it's hard to stop it. Make sure you have some Natures Miracle to break up the urine and get it cleaned up. I'm sorry you're going through this .....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:39 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the info Sherry she must be doing it all over the house I suppose I won't know where until it starts to stink.

The breeder must have known this would happen and could have forewarned me.

But I should have done my homework better.

On the bright side maybe it's better she out of there and now has a forever home.

The question is will I survive that loud constant calling for another 2 weeks? or, will I top myself?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can purchase a "black light" which are sold online and at pet stores. You shine it and if you come across any cat urine, it will glow iridescent from the phosphorus in the urine. The light works better in the dark. My male will spray occasionally in the house and there is no smell. I just know where he does it and monitor it and clean it. I just hope the spraying lessens or stops after she is spayed or you're going to have a real problem on your hands. You got an older cat who may have been spraying for years. It will be next to impossible to stop this behavior. I use a Feliway diffuser and spray to keep my male bengal a little calmer.

Know, too, spraying is for territory. I'm hoping that after her spay, she will be more calm and confident and can concentrate on bonding and "controlling" her environment.