It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

I have a 3.5 month old Bengal Kitty who I have left for 1 month due to having to travel for work. There is a possibility that it will extend to another month. I'm concerned that she will forget me when I see her again. We have a very tight bond I feel. She thinks I'm mom and always follows me around, sleeps on my bed, does the kneading/sucking thing when she can..

Should I be worried?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's hard to know what you cat may think. Separation anxiety can be a real issue and if there is someone else looking after your kitty, it's possible that bond will grow. Will your kitty "forget" about you? Your kitty is very young -- it's possible. Bengals are not recommended for people who travel and are away for any length of time. The bond between a bengal and a human is extremely close -- and that bond may be gone by the time you return home. You didn't say who is caring for your kitty while you're gone, but do not expect a huge welcome home when you return. I'm guessing the kitty will be scared of you and you will be starting over in the bonding process.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

meeka wrote:
Should I be worried?

Well, let's take a step back and look at this logically. Next month she'll be 4.5 months old. Her breeder was presumably with her for 2 of those month, and whoever is taking care of her now will have been with her for another 2 of those months months. Both of those people have been your kitty's pet guardian for quadruple the amount of time that you have. You're not her mom!. You never have been. You've barely spent any time with her. It's really not a matter of whether she misses you or remembers you or whatnot (because you are in "third place" in terms of being her mom), it's a matter of starting over and establishing a good relationship going forward, and being a better pet parent and a more important part of her life in the future. I'm not blaming you, it could happen to any of us, but you shouldn't kid yourself about what your relationship is with your kitty to this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No, don't go.
Signed,
Your Kitty