[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Advice needed on importing Bengals to USA
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know, it is stupid to class Bengals as anything else but cats. Some cats are assholes even when domestic and ordinary moggies - killing at will :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How are things going! Are you here in the US? I understand the US Fish and Wildlife took some more kitties.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi you guys. Sorry for long absence, things have been crazy with selling our flat in UK, packing, tying loose ends etc.

We have moved. Cats survived and we had no problems getting them into Seattle but paid a company to do the paperwork and fly them to have a peace of mind. We arrived 10 days ago or so and cats are doing well. They were on the same flight with us so were not separated from us for long. When they saw me after being dropped off they were really mouthing off :lol: and telling me about their ordeal but they seem to have adjusted well and are back to their cheeky self. We are in temporary housing right now and looking to buy so it has been crazy.

Thank you all for your advice. I ended up feeding them BFF fish choices - maker is Weruva and the composition seems the most similar to what they have been used to. They seem to be doing fine but still struggling with dry. I used to feed them Lilly's organic fish biscuits mixed with fish variety of Go cat but Go cat here is a bit different and seems more coloured and when they are given a a bit more than just a few, I notice slightly runny poop so may use it just as a topping from now on, probably healthier.

Once I get myself sorted I will try experimenting with stuff from Mudbay (raw) and see how it goes. They like raw chicken so they should do well on that.

Hope everyone is well :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yay, glad all went well, and welcome to the Pacific Northwest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Far out, what a story. So glad everything worked out. Moving is stressful enough without it being overseas and having the added worry of possibly losing your fur babies. I was right there with you when you said you wouldn't go if you couldn't take the cats.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So happy to hear you ALL made it over here safe and sound!!! Guess it was well worth the money to have the paperwork done professionally. The US Fish and Wildlife can be a pain in the rear for some importers. Welcome to the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks guys. And thank you Brian for feeding recommendations - I discovered Mudbay and have bought them a lovely sea food by Weruva (a lot of it is a no no as my just don't like soup like things) in jelly. Kalinda loves it but Nina is not sure. Looks like a lovely treat to me. But they have raw mixes so I will try that next, want to establish a good pattern of feeding so I know if anything upsets them - what it is. They eat and love raw chicken but not sure how it will go down as a complete mix.

The paperwork bit was expensive but I did not want to put a foot wrong there so well worth it. And the company we used was awesome - we used World care pet transport. To be honest, when I gave them away the day before the flight I was sobbing but they organised the last vet visit and travel health certificate and all transport to and from airport.
We were given crates very early so had them a month before and one of the cats even slept in it before the flight. The other is smarter and does not trust anything with doors that lock :mrgreen:

The cats actually arrived to our flat before we did (we had to rent a car and wait for bags) and were extremely quiet in the van (also our friend saw them at the airport when he was picking up his cat and said they were quiet) until they saw me and then were screaming. They were a bit jet lagged I think or were just hungry from not being given much food before the flight so were waking us up for food for few days. But apart from that, they are well and we have now had an offer accepted on a nice large condo so hopefully moving in a month.

Brian, I will ping you when I come to Portland, would be great to catch a coffee if you are willing :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

All I know is that the bengals were confiscated for something having to do with improper paperwork and the fact that their pedigree shows something the US Fish and Wildlife didn't like. They are the ones responsible for allowing animals and such into this country. The guy who runs the Bengal-Data website (that I use to confirm a lot of my database) blocked me because, according to him, my IP addressed reverted to U.S. Fish and Wildlife in Knoxville, TN. I had to convince him I was not with the government in any way shape or form. He said some of the cats confiscated were from breeders he knew and he didn't want the government spying and finding out the F generations of all the cats. We are sort of friends now ... but it was funny for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh sweet lord :eek:

We were worried about ours because the pedigree has unspecified bits that just refer to F4 and above and I read people lied about their cats putting that instead of the right generations so we were petrified. But I think this is why getting the company used to dealing with this was vital. Perhaps they are less harsh on people who transport pets than on individuals? Who knows. We even took photos of ours and sent that in to the airport so they can see they don't look wild. It was kinda funny, our friend flew with us on the plane with his ragdoll and when he rang the airport to ask about pick up, they asked him if this is about our cats :mrgreen:
They were already briefed on our cats and the inspector was booked weeks before which was good. I would say it is vital not to skimp on paying for paperwork to be done right. It looked complicated and it was contradictory (i.e. they said somewhere that indoor cats don't need rabies shot but we did it just in case so no one can say well, you need it, as we were advised this is necessary by the agent dealing with stuff).
It took some stress out of the stressful experience to be honest.

Martina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm just happy everything worked out for you and you are ALL here safe and sound. Bengals are shipped all over the world. Many breeders exchange or borrow cats which result in a cat going to a different country. Every country has its rules and laws -- so you have to do things right. Most breeders have experience in doing this. I don't understand the rules we have here in the states. And things do seem a little complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hint/tip for city of Seattle license list B's on license application as a tabby cat. Know too many folks within Seattle city limits that have Bengals some are/are not city licensed all are registered with TICA. Talk/email a Bengal breeder Teresa Selling based in Issaquah which is in the same county as Seattle (king Co) website is www. Seattlebengals.com She has imported cats from Europe also. IF you want to walk in harness your Bengal & you are going to live in Seattle proper city limits then def. license as a tabby, other ways if fully indoors well that's your option to license or not. welcome to the Emerald city..we have a large ex UK pats contingent incl.
my son in law.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten