It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: got some q's...
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ok i had a few topics to ask so i thought i'd ask them all here instead.

free feeding vs scheduled feedings?
-we currently free feed, b/c that is what forest (our DSH) was used to so when Gizmo came he just got accustomed to it. but now forest has gained a few pounds so we'd like to fix that problem. i've read that free feeding prevents future urinary problems, as thats what he's had in the past, but maybe it was just the stress of the move. Feeding at regular intervals will replicate the natural way cats eat, as i've read also. Also, concerning scheduled feedings, can this work if we work all day and they are without food for around 8 hours? So the schedule would be fed once between 6am and 7am, than their "lunch" would be between 4pm and 5pm and than dinner would be between 9pm and 10pm.

where to draw the line between under-grooming and bath time?
-Forest is a clean freak, Gizmo is quite the opposite. We never see him groom his whole body, only the spots he can conveniently reach. So should i attempt to bathe him and be prepared for a fight (since i dont think he is too keen on water)? I have had to wipe him down in the past b/c one time coming out of the litter he had poo stuck to his foot.

so thoughts anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

nobody? :( did i ask in the wrong forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's been really quiet on here this week - possibly because of the school holidays in the UK :)

I've always free fed any of my cats so I can't really advise you I'm afraid. I work full time and am involved in various other activities which would make it hard to stick to scheduled feeding. I've never had a cat that's over-eaten though so I've never really had to consider doing it any other way. In the wild their feeding habits would be governed by need and the availability of food. If they could only find small meals, they'd probably eat several times a day, if they got a big kill, they might only eat once. If one of yours is starting to put on weight, you might have to consider removing the food for at least part of the day, but I think you'd need to do it gradually so that they adjust to not having access to food all the time.

Bathing's another tricky decision. Personally I've never bathed any of my cats because it just doesn't feel a natural thing to do. Like you, I've sometimes had to clean up a bit after a visit to the litter tray but that's all I've done. My pair don't seem to groom as much as the moggies I've had in the past but they seem quite clean and I've always assumed it was because their fur/pelt is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi ;)

For feeding : I feed 3 times a day (morning, noon and evening), else Onyx will eat everything too soon and will be hungry in the evening ;) (and become fat :lol:, as he'll eat Chaos' part...). But 8 hours seem a bit long...

As for bathing, Onyx doesn't groom a lot but is always clean, and Chaos grooms a lot so no problems ;). Sometime I have to wash paws when there has been "accidents" in the carrier and they don't like it so I don't bath them if not needed :lol:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Free Feeding Vs. Feeding Schedule - I used to free feed my babies but when I decided to help my oldest cat Evvee lose weight I had to change that. If a cat/kitten is allowed to graze all day they seem to become obese. I personally like feed schedules, choose a time where you will remember it. Feed them possibly when you and your famiy sit down for meals, that will help keep them out of your lap and stop them from begging if they do that sort of thing.

Bathing - I try to get my babies a good bath every 3 months from the groomers because I dont have the gall to try to bath them myself yet. If they come out of the litter pan with stuff stuck to them that you dont want tracked through your house you could try grabbing them up and bathing there paws and backside. I've had to do that with my Bengal Kitten plenty of times while he was sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

thanks everyone for your replies :) and glad dolly is back ginnym :D

we've tried scheduled feedings this week and it has worked well so far until forest started meowing at 2:30 in the morning i guess he was hungry i dont really kno. And then we were asked to house sit this weekend so they were left a pile of food since we couldn't take them back to forest's old house. And i think 8 hours is a bit long as well, maybe i can pick up an automatic feeder and see if that works.

And as for bathing, i think i will leave it since everytime i pick up gizmo he never seems to stink (unless i pick him up right after he's been in the litter...pee-you! lol) i'm just mostly concerned about how unsoft his fur seems at the moment, but maybe its just the time of year?