It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:23 am 
Bengal Cat

Hello all, i read through most of the posts earlier, you all seem so friendly =D

Im wondering if a few of you could put my mind at rest please.

I will be getting my first bengal kittah in about 4 weeks, having to wait sucks since i am so exited :P

but having read the differences in their nature from your average cat, im wondering what steps i should take to ensure a happy and safe home for the lil cutie, kittah will be 13 weeks upon arival here with us and i just want to make sure its going to be ok.

Im cool with the basics like making sure the toilet seat is down, close tumble drier door and the obvious things, but i am suffering from what im now calling "advanced paranoia" such as "crap what if it jumps out of the window" and " what if when i go to answer the door it makes a dash for the new and exiting world of outside" and the latest one (im a bit of a pc builder) "what if it gets it's tail stuck in one of my pc fans"

To sum it up, i fell in love with my gorgeous lil kitty the moment i saw her and i really really want to make sure nothing bad will happen to her, i wouldnt be as paranoid if it were your average cat but since bengal's have the extra energy and desire to be a part of everything (i only know what i have read :( ) what should i do to ensure maximum kittah surviveability.

so realistically, do i need to be concerned with making sure EVERYTHING is safe? or will the cat more than likely not try to end itself lol
i mean, come on, who worries about pc fans.....

thanks for reading my probably over paranoid rant, i worry a bit too much i think :P but hey, better safe and happy kitty right?

ps - with the windows and doors and the genral escapery i can of course handle that, just dont leave windows open all the time and make sure the cat is away from the door when opening (the kitten and its mother have been raised indoors and so im hoping it wont crave for something it hasent experienced)

thanks again, i look forward to reading any replies i get

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hiya Steve, aw you sound so excited! Dont worry, you're not being paranoid at all, I totally understand where you are coming from. You definately have to kitty proof more things having a bengal than you would with a normal moggie - basically you should child proof everything! Imagine you have an 18 month old running round your house, and whatever looks enticing to them will look enticing to a bengal! A few examples are: Alaska is obsessed with anything electrical like the printer, he just loves watching the paper come out, DVD player - we only have to eject it once and he'll be sniffing around it for ages! Drinks are a big no-no, take your drink everywhere with you, unless you dont mind it being knocked over of course! Also we dont have flowers as they WILL get eaten, apart from half eaten flowers not looking very nice, some of them can be very poisonous (i think there is a list on here somewhere of safe and toxic plants) Another thing that i am paranoid about is the string on my venetian blinds - i always make sure they are tied up and out of the way because Kimba got himself all caught up in them. I hope ive not made you even more paranoid, but these are the main things that i have to keep an eye on, and even now its still a learning curve - they're 3 this year and they still find ways of getting into mischief. Most of the time they just make you laugh by throwing whole toilet rolls into the bath or finding them on top of a door and you will have a lot of Nooooooooo moments but they are soooooo much fun! You'll absolutely love your new baby and you sound like the perfect parent! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:45 am 
Bengal Cat

woo hoo, thanks for the kind words lindie :D

im with you now, you did actually set my mind at rest a great deal, having only ever had regular cats i was unsure about the difference in a bengal, but yes, later today i will go from top to bottom of the house looking at things from a "hmm, if i was a hyperactive baby cat" point of view.

Thanks again for the reply, i do feel alot better now, the wait is slowly killing me i tell ya, i understand it cant leave its mum yet but damn i just wanna go and grab up the whole familly lol, patience isnt my strong point :P

Here's a few pics of my lil sweetie if you want to see her :)

anyway, i'll stop typing now, thanks again, have a nice day/eve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a little cutie!

Our babies have been with us for a week now and are into absolutely everything :D My main concern was cupboards and doors so now I've got child locks on all the cupboards which contain cleaning products and medicine and I've also put child locks on the toilet seats - wish I'd done that years ago because it's actually trained OH to put the seat down now!

We've moved all the breakables into a cabinet so the surfaces of the furniture are all bare so that they can jump on them, same with window sills because they love sitting watching the world go by.

Anything that can be pushed, knocked over, swung on, jumped on etc is fair game for the little darlings :lol:

Good luck with your baby. Hope she gives you as much pleasure as our two give us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

and you will still miss something :lol: They are buggers and once they set their minds on having something, they will have it, no matter how long they have to wait. All good fun though and good luck :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd also say don't under-estimate the spaces they can get into - or will try to get into. It's comical watching my two sometimes as they try to weave their way along a tiny strip of shelf or squeeze between things. Daisy in particular seems to have no sense of her own safety - she leaps before she looks - and I've had to rescue her several times. Favourite when they were very small was falling down the back of the wardrobes and being unable to scrabble back up. My wallpaper still bears the scars :lol:

Don't let any of this put you off though - they're wonderful creatures and you'll get so much enjoyment from having them in your household.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

congratulations on your new kitten, she looks a real cutie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm 
Bengal Cat

thank you all =D

will take some pics again once we have her here, a 2 hour car journey should be fun :roll:

aah well, will let you all know how she settles in, the waiting is driving me mad, just wanna fuss n play with her, that cat will get bored of me before i do her :P