It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Travelling microchip
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I took Oscar to the vets a couple of days ago. I felt a lump on his side. It was at the top of his leg, by his elbow and just where the top of the leg meets the ribs. I spent a sleepless night worrying about what it could be. The vet had a feel and said she just wanted to rule out his microchip being the lump. She put the wand over it and sure enough it was his microchip! I had no idea they could move so far. It had moved about five inches from the insertion site. I googled moving microchips and some people had pets with microchips near the animals paws! :eek: Has anyone else had a microchip that moved further than normal? He had been licking the area and apparently if it was bothering him she could give him a steroid injection into the lump. I though I would wait to see what happened rather than having the steroids there and then. Sure enough he is now not bothering to lick his side. My husband thinks he is hilarious saying - " my cat used to have a chip on his shoulder but he is fine now!!" :rolleyes: :lol:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

Post subject: Re: Travelling microchip
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL! I have never felt Raiden's microchip. Here they place it in the shoulder area -- at least that is where they scan for a chip. It is truly rare that they move over time. If this happened to Raiden and it bothered him, I'd have it removed and new one inserted. They are supposedly no larger than a rice kernel.

Post subject: Re: Travelling microchip
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've heard of it happening but I haven't seen it yet. At least he's not bothering it now!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes