It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have two bengals, both 10 months old, Prince and Lizzy (same breeder but different lines).

Prince is quite laid back and cuddly, but Lizzy has one behaviour quirk I can't figure out.

She will often come over to me and start purring loudly, rubbing herself up again the couch/bed/laptop and doing circles around me, then will randomly strike out and quite viciously bite. This happens whether I am patting her or ignoring her.

I'm not always patting her to overstimulate her, I am not moving or acting like prey, and afterwards she just keeps standing there and purring and looking at me. It really hurts!

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. I recommend you have some toys beside you so you can redirect her energy. Who hasn't gotten nipped my kittens? It just happens. All cats have different personalities. Your bengals seem completely opposites. Do they not engage in play with each other? Lizzy is behaving normally. If you redirect her energy to the toy, I think it may save your hands and arms.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome.

I see similar behaviour with Ada - more when she was younger when it was every night, much less often now that she's 2.5.

It is in effect a double message - the first bit is "we're fantastic friends, I really like you", then the next bit is "so lets play a fighty-bitey game!"

There will be signs that she is going to do this - she often licks my feet, and or turns her head to one side/rolls almost on her back and she play attacks the sofa I am sitting on.

The trick is to learn the signals she will be giving off - how is her behaviour different from normal ? Then discourage the 2nd part of the message - let her know that there isn't going to be any play.

I generally growl at Ada/say her name in a low, deep voice and that discourages her, but she is persistent and you need to make sure that she gets no play from the encounter. Then praise her when she walks away.

Of course, giving Lizzy lots of play each day will also help to reduce these incidents and you can distract her with a toy ( but I've been concerned that might be a pay-off in that she gets a positive outcome from the behaviour ).