It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:19 pm 
Bengal Cat

I appreciate your point of view Lollo, thank you! Just to clarify, Lucy gained about 12 ounces in 2 weeks, and has definitely grown in the short time we've had her. She seems to be solid muscle. Certainly a lot of kurfuffle on the topic of when to spay. After reading some studies on the subject, I tend to agree with the 8 week camp, provided they meet weight/size criteria. I did read where it has been clinically proven early spayed kittens tend to be shy and hide from people. Again, the benefits such as quicker recovery and less bleeding prevail. You are absolutely correct on the fact it is a more expensive procedure in the states. I spoke with someone who paid a bit over $500 USD! Probably has something to do with law suits and medical insurance (the lawyers over here are also vampires!). Sorry to any lawyers reading this! Bottom line is I will need to put my faith in her vet, but will push for 5 months!

Rich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hmm, I wonder if we have any lawyers who post regularly? LOL. I'm sure spaying at 6 months is easier than spaying at 2 years old -- so I honestly don't know that 4 weeks makes a whole lot of difference, although it seems to with your vet. But, that's okay! Most vets have strong feelings when it comes to neutering or spaying and not all will do an early fix. The only cat I had spayed was done before I adopted it from the shelter, so I don't know what it cost. I had a male cat neutered for under $80 here in the states. Raiden came already fixed, so don't know about that cost.

You've been doing a lot of research, Rich! What a great parent you are!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:45 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for your support Sherry :biggrin: !

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had Pearl done at around 4 months as she came into season, this was in February, it cost under £100 and she was only in there for 3 hours.

Magic I had done at 8 months as the breeder said to leave it longer for a male, I wouldn't necessarily do this again, that was reasonably cheap.

Bristol, UK