It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CAT LITTER
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi to all,

Can anyone give a good alternative to woodpellet litter as i seem to be allergic to it, is the granuale type really dangerous to cats as i have read
some bad reviews?

Nikki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:40 pm 
We use World's Best Cat Litter - it's quite expensive, but it does indeed live up to its title. We've tried other types, but we always end up going back to it.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

What about this litter is the Best???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:06 am 
http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

Post subject: Cat litter and trays
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:33 pm 
Hello,

We're still at the planning stage for our Bengals, but I'm interested to hear peoples' views on cat litter as we'd heard about World's Best.

Has anyone tried the silicon based litter? It's supposed to be great for absorbing smells and is quite economical but I've read that the little pellets can get everywhere - also as it's silicon is it really safe to use?

Also, one litter tray or two for two cats? Covered or with a rim around the edge? I've seen all sorts of different ones and it's very confusing to a new owner!

Thanks

Teresa

Post subject: Re: Cat litter and trays
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:37 pm 
teresa wrote:
Hello,

Also, one litter tray or two for two cats? Covered or with a rim around the edge? I've seen all sorts of different ones and it's very confusing to a new owner!

We have 1 covered one, but the male Bengal likes to hang his head out of the hole in it whilst he does his business, looks quite comical.... I guess he can't stand the smell :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I feel the covered ones are too hard to clean, having to open and close them all the time. The open ones i feel are better and easier since we are scooping ALOT!! I have also had trouble with the rims as for the cat sometimes misses. I would for sure get two, makes it alot easier.
I am wondering myself about the worlds best...ive read on here that some cat was eating it...yick!
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:07 pm 
The Boss

most of ours are covered ones....They're no harder to clean and if you have girls for breeding they're great because they tend to urinate like males.....and most of that normally goes over the sides of an open tray!

As for worlds best litter.....well it is in my honest opinion, but our ladies just don't like using it.....maybe they don't like the smell or the feel of it because its not as heavy as normal litter. And I might add its made from corn which if you have kittens is good as they tend to eat all kinds....never mind litter, therefore making it harmless to them!

never tried the silica stuff, but the wood pellet is good for keeping the smell down, we only tend to use that at shows though just because its nice and easy to dispose of.....however it kinda fluffs up when it gets wet making cleaning a bit of a pain so we empty the tray completely usually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone,

As I'm sure you've gathered, I'm a new member - I'm pleased to meet you all :D

I'm a proud owner of 2 gorgeous bengal boys called Osiris (brown spotted & nearly 2yrs) & Thor (silver spotted, 1 yr & 3 months).

I used the worlds best cat litter until recently and have changed to a silica gel litter and definately won't be going back to worlds best. The litter pearls are so much easier to manage. I was worried that my 2 boys wouldn't use it as the texture was so different and the pearls aren't exactly comfortable to walk on, but they took to it fine.

I've found it's much better at odor control. It also absorbes the moisture, so I don't have to spend what feels like ages digging around for clumps of urine with soggy patches of litter. It's also is a little cheaper than worlds best, so I'm a happy bunny.

Emma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:18 am 
The Boss

Hi Emma......Did you find that worlds best did actually hide the smell?

I thought it gave a sweet woody kind of smell.....which is just as bad if not worse than normal litter, I'd like to try the pearls out just to see if its any better but I'm worried that'll it will prove even more expensive than worlds best because it looks very posh!

How much do you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:16 am 
The pearls sound interesting...... though everytime we try and change their litter for a cheaper brand, we find a "present" somewhere from the male Bengal :lol:

Post subject: Re: Cat litter and trays
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 pm 
Bengal Cat

teresa wrote:
Hello,

We're still at the planning stage for our Bengals, but I'm interested to hear peoples' views on cat litter as we'd heard about World's Best.

Has anyone tried the silicon based litter? It's supposed to be great for absorbing smells and is quite economical but I've read that the little pellets can get everywhere - also as it's silicon is it really safe to use?

Thanks

Teresa

I was told that you have 1 more litter box then you have cats..

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

This is the litter I use..

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

meemonkey wrote:
Hi Emma......Did you find that worlds best did actually hide the smell?

I thought it gave a sweet woody kind of smell.....which is just as bad if not worse than normal litter, I'd like to try the pearls out just to see if its any better but I'm worried that'll it will prove even more expensive than worlds best because it looks very posh!

How much do you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?

I found worlds best hid the smell for about 10 days, then smelt sickly sweet and the odor would be quite strong.

I have quite a large litter tray and find that the medium sized bag of litter pearls (3.4kg) at £7.65 is the best size and it lasts 3 weeks with 2 cats. There is still no odor that I can really notice, but most of the pearls are yellow by then. They also do a smaller bag (1.81kg for £4.30) and larger 9kg bag for £18.95

I order mine from http://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop/cats.htm

It's not cheap, but it does work out a bit cheaper for me than worlds best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:52 am 
So with these pearls, you scoop out the poop and leave the pee in there?

Not sure our boy would like that much, he's very suspicious of any changes to his toilet :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Gavin,

You don't empty the pee, but there is no pee to empty as the liquid evaporates and the litter stays dry. You just need to empty the poos and mix the litter around.

As I had only ever used world's best, I was really concerned that my boys wouldn't recognise the pearls as litter and they would take their business elsewhere. Luck for me they took to it with no problems, but clearly your boy may not be so accommodating.